Is Adrenal Support Necessary?

Dayman

You didn't mention how much salt you get daily.
also what about trying an adaptogen. I've found them useful at times. A liquid tonic seems to have the quickest effect on me. I've used one called adrenalift by macamagic. also another one which had Gingko, Schisandra, Ginger, Barberry, Liquorice.

If you are having trouble sleeping try salted ice cream, and possibly some progesterone.
I experienced something similar when I upped my NDT at to great an increment, I had a great day and then suddenly anxious with cold feet.
I have never tried hydrocortisone so cannot comment on that.

Peata

readforjoy said:
T3 and NDT made me worse by themselves. I have low cortisol levels with my afternoon reading being below range. My doc says I have no cortisol reserves (not sure what that means). We tried glandulars and hydrocortisone but those didn't help. What finally helped was taking frequent doses of pregnenolone along with T3 as they supposedly work synergistically. I've always wondered why the HC didn't work.

I was just curious. What dosage of pregnenolone, how many times per day, for how long?

readforjoy

I started by taking 50mg frequently throughout the day as needed to feel good for a total of 300-500mg per day. I gradually needed less until I was down to 120mg per day taken in 3-4 divided doses. I did this for a good 5-6 months. Worked great at first, but then it converted into too much estrogen, causing my level to go sky high, and giving me bad estrogen dominant symptoms.

So I stopped pregnenolone and tried boosting my cortisol with progesterone, but that didn't work for me for different reasons. So I am back on HC taking 1-2.5mg every 1-2 hours and feeling much, much better.

Northwind said:
post 35523 I just got done reading Broda Barnes - Solved: The Riddle of Heart Attacks. He is someone that Ray Peat references. In the book he mentions that while most people respond quickly and well to thyroid treatment a small number of people don't and he would then add a small amount of predisone (5 mg) to support the adrenals and then they would do fine. Broda had a lot of in the trenches experience with patients. He also mentions that the basal temperature test usually indicates thyroid when temperature is low but that it can also be other things, including the adrenals. My understanding from reading Peat is that the adrenals have to step up when the thyroid is underperforming or suppressed, and if they have been doing this for a long time couldn't they use up their reserves?

bump

Last edited by a moderator:
readforjoy said:
post 45287 I started by taking 50mg frequently throughout the day as needed to feel good for a total of 300-500mg per day. I gradually needed less until I was down to 120mg per day taken in 3-4 divided doses. I did this for a good 5-6 months. Worked great at first, but then it converted into too much estrogen, causing my level to go sky high, and giving me bad estrogen dominant symptoms.

So I stopped pregnenolone and tried boosting my cortisol with progesterone, but that didn't work for me for different reasons. So I am back on HC taking 1-2.5mg every 1-2 hours and feeling much, much better.

bump

Last edited by a moderator: