Iron, Without Pufa

Luann

So

theoretically

let's say someone was very near PUfa-deficient, and still consumed a large amount of iron. Let's say, for instance, they were eating beans (some don't have much fat) or liked lean steak. Or wanted to do the potato-hack. Or wanted to eat enriched rice for the B vitamins.

How bad would that be? Peat says pufa exacerbates iron's toxicity, so what about iron in a non-fat context?

tankasnowgod

Well, regardless of PUFA content, iron is still a potent pro-oxidant. So in that sense, you still don't want excess levels in the body.

Of the foods you mentioned, both lean steak and potatoes are highly nutritious and can be great part of a healthy diet. Beans are problematic beyond their iron content. While I think rice is neutral, I think fortified rice and grains are best avoided, as much as possible. All plants and animals have some sort iron defense mechanism, while supplemental iron is generally just the raw metal. Although it's questionable how much of the enriched vitamins you'd get from rice anyway, as they are often washed off during the cooking process.

OP
Luann

Luann

forgot to say thank you for this reply I've been reading old rpf stuff on ferritin / iron load lately and you have great insight.

lampofred

Purely a guess but I don't think iron would be that problematic if PUFA was low as long as copper is much higher.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals