Iron Too Low To Donate Blood

Luann

but this finger prick test they do measures circulating, not all, iron, right?

tankasnowgod

but this finger prick test they do measures circulating, not all, iron, right?

They measure hemoglobin, which is an iron related number. It can be low due to iron, but also due to low folate, b6, and b12 levels, and also more serious conditions, even in the face of normal or high iron levels.

An iron panel with ferritin and TSAT would tell you more, and something as simple a B complex could boost hemoglobin.

paymanz

You mean the test that they do before you donate blood?

Yes its circulating, but there some indicators like iron saturation idex or something like that, which apparently shows iron storages levels.

But I thought they only measure red blood cell count, or hemoglobin, I believe.to decide if the person can donate or not...

OP
Luann

Luann

They measure hemoglobin, which is an iron related number.

They kept calling it iron, and quoted a number that started with twelve, like a ratio or something, if that helps. twelve four and then twelve three.
thanks for the iron panel and saturation test ideas. may be worth looking into.

tankasnowgod

They kept calling it iron, and quoted a number that started with twelve, like a ratio or something, if that helps. twelve four and then twelve three.
thanks for the iron panel and saturation test ideas. may be worth looking into.

Yeah, most donation centers I've been to will refer to it as "iron" too, but it's hemoglobin they are measuring. 12.5 is the minimum for donation, although I think they raised it to 13.0 for men. I think it's 16.0 to give double red cells via apheresis.

Most pre-menopausal females have near deficiency iron levels, similar to teenagers. I donate frequently to keep my ferritin between 20-30 or so (that same near deficiency range) , and my personal experience is that supplemental B vitamins can keep hemoglobin in the 14-15 range, even with low body iron stores.

OP
Luann

Luann

ahhhh so B vites would make donating blood a possibility again
thanks! it really would be nice to donate...seeing as how some people here have lowered their iron this way : )

Peater Piper

ahhhh so B vites would make donating blood a possibility again
thanks! it really would be nice to donate...seeing as how some people here have lowered their iron this way : )
I'd get the bloodwork tankasnowgod recommended, first. You don't want to donate if you actually are iron anemic. If your iron comes out normal then you'll know the low hemoglobin is due to a deficiency elsewhere.

OP
Luann

Luann

Probably a good idea. it does appear that iron deficiency anemia can be seen by symptoms like caved in nails, pallor on some parts of the skin, but maybe it isn't always that easy to spot.

OP
Luann

Luann

The blood bank sent mail to my house saying thank you for trying to donate get those IRON levels up and come back next month
LOQSBBDH
laughing out quiet so big brother doesnt hear
is there a master plan to have us all taking iron pills or something

OP
Luann

Luann

This is frustrating.
Another 'no' from the blood bank, and hemoglobin is now at 11.9 - apparently taking B6 for a week and having a steak on Valentines day did nothing?

Last edited:
OP
Luann

Luann

Trying for the 3rd timr today, ive been taking copper and drinkinv orange juice so, keep fingers crossed!

OP
Luann

Luann

Thanks. Not sure if folate was too low or what but it was a no go again.
Thinking of using butterflies to take a small amount of blood myself. With someone as a spotter

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals