Iron Supplements Ferritin Levels

Douglas Ek

Ok what are optimal levels of ferritin for both women and men id like to know mostly specifically for men. What do people generally have here on the forum? As people who know my threads ive went from 50 to latest 180. And at 180 i donated blood now coz i didnt want them that high. When my levels was at 50 I was so freaking tired as a male. Now after I donated blood the past week Ive been feeling it coming back. I mean im just maybe supposed to have close to 200 to feel optimal. From what ive understood some labs say 20-300 for men while some say 20 - 500. If 500 is upper limit then 200 doesnt seem that bad. I mean everything under a 100 was horrible for me and not untill I had 200 I started to be able to do what ever I wanted with breeze. Anyone got any clues or ideas? Really would like to establish some sort of optimal range. Even get rays opinion or haidut if anyone had them or knows them. A lot says ferritin should be kept low. But what is low? Under 100? Under 200? 300? Under a 1000? People with hemochroma has like between 1000-10 000. My hemoglobin was 158 when i donated. Which from what ive understood is high and good range. Probably lower now since i dlnated. How can I get it up and oxygen transport etc without eating iron supps and increasing my ferritin?

Last edited:

Mito

“On the full iron panel you want your transferrin saturation to be between 30% and 40%, probably your ferritin between 60 and 150 in American units.”

“So let’s compare ferritin and transferrin saturation here. In terms of sensitivity, the reason that ferritin increases in response to too much iron status is because on a mechanistic level, elevated transferrin saturation communicates through HFE to hepcidin to downregulate iron absorption and to increase storage of iron and ferritin. So transferrin saturation is much more sensitive than ferritin is because transferrin saturation is the cause of ferritin elevating in response to too much iron, and that’s consistent with my own story where my transferrin saturation was going out of the reference range while my ferritin was way, way, way within it. In fact, when ferritin is used to diagnose hemochromatosis, then it may be the case that they won’t recommend that you get a liver biopsy until your ferritin reaches 1000 nanograms per milliliter, and you could probably catch all of those people with hemochromatosis if you just screened everyone who has transferrin saturation over 45%.”

https://chrismasterjohnphd.com/2017/01/27/need-manage-iron-status/

Mito

“I think ferritin needs to be combined with iron saturation index in order to be interpreted correctly. The optimal ferritin is probably in the 50 - 100 range, which is listed as "possibly deficient" in your lab chart, combined with iron saturation below 25% but above 20%. That's just my opinion based on Peat's recommendations and labs I have seen from other people. In general, ferritin above 150 is often enough to bring about insulin resistance and even liver issues in some cases.”

Methylene Blue (MB) Reverses Fatty Liver Disease

OP
D

Douglas Ek

“I think ferritin needs to be combined with iron saturation index in order to be interpreted correctly. The optimal ferritin is probably in the 50 - 100 range, which is listed as "possibly deficient" in your lab chart, combined with iron saturation below 25% but above 20%. That's just my opinion based on Peat's recommendations and labs I have seen from other people. In general, ferritin above 150 is often enough to bring about insulin resistance and even liver issues in some cases.”

Methylene Blue (MB) Reverses Fatty Liver Disease

How come my fatigue symptoms dissappear when i supplement iron?

Mito

How come my fatigue symptoms dissappear when i supplement iron?
One possibility is that you are iron deficient and ferritin is increased not because of iron overload but rather due to inflammation and/or oxidative stress.

OP
D

Douglas Ek

One possibility is that you are iron deficient and ferritin is increased not because of iron overload but rather due to inflammation and/or oxidative stress.

Yeah then its a CPR test i need. Im gonna get all done soon

SamYo123

I saw my nan with ferritin below 100, and saturation over 50.

That saturation far too much?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals