Iron Deficiency Alters Serum Prolactin (high Prolactin)

nwo2012

You are taking it very personally. Where did I say you or others would die from it. It was dbh25 that took said iron+B12 etc.
You are entitled to your mainstream beliefs. And I to mine.

OP
D

Douglas Ek

You are taking it very personally. Where did I say you or others would die from it. It was dbh25 that took said iron+B12 etc.
You are entitled to your mainstream beliefs. And I to mine.

I’m not taking it personally and sure you’re allowed. Well just because an opinion is mainstream doesnt mean it’s wrong. Besides my thought’s about iron is quite peaty. It’s all science, iron is an electron accepter needed for cellular respiration while antioxidants are the mechanism that keeps it under control. The evidence points to what I’m saying is right. But yeah some people do better with a ferritin right at the bottom of the reference range and some do better a bit higher. Never said high iron is good or that taking iron without diagnosing that having low levels might be a cause for some peoples problem.
Haidut previously said that if you have low levels of ferritin you can take thyroid or restoring tsh levels would bring your ferritin up to normal levels. So haidut actually means thyroid increases ferritin and that would be something good then? Why would you want to bring iron up through thyroid status if iron is bad?
Everyone here is just saying conflicting things and seems like people don’t know or is just guessing.
The important thing is as long as it in line with peats views and beliefs all is good. And you get raised to the sky

nwo2012

Fair comment. I still believe in minimising consumption of iron and that improving thyroid function is the best way. There may be some benefits to increasing iron consumption in a hypothyroid state but I believe long term this will be harmful overall as iron is toxic when deliberately consumed in higher amounts. But food consumption of iron will still be better than supplementation.

OP
D

Douglas Ek

Fair comment. I still believe in minimising consumption of iron and that improving thyroid function is the best way. There may be some benefits to increasing iron consumption in a hypothyroid state but I believe long term this will be harmful overall as iron is toxic when deliberately consumed in higher amounts. But food consumption of iron will still be better than supplementation.

Thank you, agree with this that high iron is toxic. And monitoring your levels if you decide to supplement is a given. And can you remain iron stores with adequat intake from diet then there’s no problem.

dbh25

Thanks were you waking up in the middle of the night as well?

Did you regrow your lost hair? I have lost so much over the last year
Yes, I was waking up between 1-2am and could not nap during the day.
Unforunately, I did not get 100 % hair regrowth. But I am hoping with a sustained higher iron level, it comes back.

dbh25

I believe long term this will be harmful overall as iron is toxic
There is a sweet spot, you don't want to be too low or too high. Supplementing for 3 months was enough.
I may have been able to raise iron with diet alone, but I was so low for so long, I fell below some minimum threshold. Even supplementing it took time to feel better.
Also important to mention there can be underlying issues causing low iron that need to be fixed. So if one supplements and stops, their iron drops again. Lucky I do not have this issue.

@dbh25 , did you encounter any side effects, particularly digestive ones, while supplementing that Floravital Liquid Iron? I am looking for an alternative form in case food alone can't do it.

OP
D

Douglas Ek

@dbh25 , did you encounter any side effects, particularly digestive ones, while supplementing that Floravital Liquid Iron? I am looking for an alternative form in case food alone can't do it.

Its hard to avoid constipation while taking iron. Magnesium specially citrate is good to help loosen up the movement and regular coffee. But drink it away from the iron. Iron glycinate is supposed to be easier to digest and more absorbable.

dbh25

Hi foodandtheworld,
I had no side effects. I did some research, this seems the best choice.
Edit- you could try 1 dose, wait a few days, and see how you feel or try once a week

Last edited:

Elize

At the worst, hair fell out. (Hasn't all returned) My hair also lost its texture, it got very wiry but returned to normal in a few weeks. Thyroid labs plummeted, I thought I was hyperthyroid before figuring it was b/c of low iron. Completely exhausted but could not sleep more than 4-5 hours. I was traveling on 2 hour flights for work, it felt like a major effort.

I'm in the same boat. What is the best way to increase iron. I react badly to most supplements and thyroid meds

OP
D

Douglas Ek

I'm in the same boat. What is the best way to increase iron. I react badly to most supplements and thyroid meds

Stay away from zinc. From my experience it can deplete iron really fast probably disrupting absorption in the stomach thorugh metallothionine production.
Eat liver has lots of iron and many co factors. If you are interested in supplementing like a lot of people with low iron need to do to be able to increase levels then iron sulphate dose between 100-300mg is whats medically used against iron deficiency. Iron bisglycinate usually found in commercial supplements usually bit easier on digestive system and better absorption so doses can range around 100mg split 50/50 a day

OP
D

Douglas Ek

Gosh Thanks. I took Zinc sulfate and that could be the problem.

If you have all the symptoms And lab test indicating low iron stores I would buy a iron supplement start taking twice daily and increase red meat and liver intake and watch how you feel. If you’re getting more energy and better heat tolerance than you probably reduced iron to much through zinc supplementation.

dbh25

I took Floradix for a few months, my ferritin climbed from the teens to 40. I stopped supplementing. Through diet, it stayed in the 40-50s range for over a year and finally climbed to the mid 70s.

By the way you have confirmed you’re iron deficient with lab test?
Planning on testing soon but not sure which one I should get:
One test has: Iron, TIBC, Ferritin
Another test ($50 extra): CBC, ESR, Iron & TIBC, Ferritin, Vitamin B12, Folate

But I had tested my B12 and Folate before and they were both fine
  • B12: 610 pmol/L (Sufficiency >220 pmol/L)
  • Folate 31.7 (>8.8 nmol/L)
So I don't know if it is worth getting the $50 extra one for the CBC and ESR.

The only testing service available to me doesn't have saturation testing available and I am done bothering with doctors.

Anecdotally I ate some oysters everyday last week and found that my feet weren't cool in the evening.

lampofred

I've seen Peat mention that "excess iron" is the problem, not iron in any amount (unlike PUFA). He has also said supplementing iron/eating iron-fortified foods is almost always a bad idea even with low iron and that the healthy way to increase iron would be to eat iron-rich foods such as liver.

Pablo Cruise

Well not to get too technical, the acicity of Vit C reduces the Fe molecule so it can form a complex that is better absorbed

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals