"Iron And Gluten, The Toxic Tandem" Presentation By Thomas E. Levy, MD, JD

OP
tankasnowgod

tankasnowgod

It's hard for me to make a determination at this point. The last ferritin test was 2 1/2 years ago, and to compare my current test results to it leaves a big gap. For all we know, the ferritin value had already dropped before my periodontal infection was resolved. It would be another year before I can be more certain of the effect of resolving my periodontal crisis.

Is there any reason you couldn't just do a regular blood donation? After all, if a pre-menopausal woman was dealing with a similar sort of chronic infection, or one that had passed, she would be losing some blood regularly each month anyway.

Ella

Forum Supporter
@yerrag $300 is crazy. In my OP, I mention a dog with high RBCs and EPO. It only took a change in diet to bring markers down. Kidney function improved, so I would start with diet, then get rid of supplements like B12, B6. Are you also supplementing B2? If you are eating adequate calories then there is still some resistance in pulse rate. I would increase juicy fruits and milk and see if it raises pulse rate and brings down bp. Aim for 3 cups milk, once bp has normalised then many other parameters also normalise. Are you able to test homocysteine or do they want $300 for this one too?

yerrag

Is there any reason you couldn't just do a regular blood donation? After all, if a pre-menopausal woman was dealing with a similar sort of chronic infection, or one that had passed, she would be losing some blood regularly each month anyway.
With my high blood pressure, I can't donate. They'd send me to the ER and poke me with all sorts of tests. I had donated before when I had hemachromatosis. But that was when my BP was normal.

yerrag

@yerrag $300 is crazy. In my OP, I mention a dog with high RBCs and EPO. It only took a change in diet to bring markers down. Kidney function improved, so I would start with diet, then get rid of supplements like B12, B6. Are you also supplementing B2? If you are eating adequate calories then there is still some resistance in pulse rate. I would increase juicy fruits and milk and see if it raises pulse rate and brings down bp. Aim for 3 cups milk, once bp has normalised then many other parameters also normalise. Are you able to test homocysteine or do they want $300 for this one too?
I can test homocysteine for a lot less as the common tests are actually very affordable. It's the special tests that are prohibitive in cost. What does the homocysteine do for me?

I can dispense with the B vitamins as I won't be deficient with the foods I eat. I can increase calcium intake adding more milk or eggshell powder to my milk and cooked greens. I'm already drinking plenty of fresh juice from whatever tropical fruit is in season.

I still believe the high RBC has more to do with the inability to expand blood volume though, as I had mentioned in the high LDH low CRP thread.

Ella

Forum Supporter
What does the homocysteine do for me?

Ideally the organic acid test which will give you a good overview of your B-vitamin status + more. However, if it is too expensive, I like homocysteine which is an inflammatory marker also. It should be affordable even if it not on the public purse. Your hsCRP/CRP is low - so be grateful. Even though you had an infectious process, your over-nutrition may have been protective.

TSH, PTH and homocysteine are all inflammatory markers. Your TSH is OK so that leaves PTH which is to do with vitamin D and calcium and homoscysteine which is to do with b-vitamins where the common focus is on the three trio: B6, B12 and folate. We can't ignore the risk of cancer as they are involve in DNA methylation. If you happen to be a smoker then taking these Bs is stupid. From my experience this is the wrong way to tackle the problem in the same way methyl folate is a bad idea for those who carry the fragile MTHFR SNP. Remove these then check RBCs and EPO. Then do an in depth investigation into your B status. Your diet and your gut bacteria may be giving you adequate.

Which leaves ferritin??

I still believe the high RBC has more to do with the inability to expand blood volume though, as I had mentioned in the high LDH low CRP thread.

Milk will help to increase blood volume and salty drinks. Be sure to add salt to your juices to balance the potassium. Have you check aldosterone - also an inflammatory marker?

Blossom

Forum Supporter
With my high blood pressure, I can't donate. They'd send me to the ER and poke me with all sorts of tests. I had donated before when I had hemachromatosis. But that was when my BP was normal.
Are you sure you don’t have hemochromatosis anymore? I thought that was hereditary?
Never mind, I read it can be acquired.

yerrag

I would increase juicy fruits and milk and see if it raises pulse rate and brings down bp. Aim for 3 cups milk, once bp has normalised then many other parameters also normalise.

TSH, PTH and homocysteine are all inflammatory markers. Your TSH is OK so that leaves PTH which is to do with vitamin D and calcium and homoscysteine which is to do with b-vitamins where the common focus is on the three trio: B6, B12 and folate.

I was in contact with Dr. Peat regarding my hypertension just these past few days, and he concurs with you regarding increasing calcium intake. He tells me that my PTH level of 40 still could benefit in going down, and that currently it can be affected by low calcium intake levels: "I think 40 pg/mL of PTH is enough, when phosphate intake is high relative to calcium, to contribute to hypertension," and "Calcium, vitamin D, parathyroid, and thyroid hormones interact closely with ADH. A high ratio of calcium to phosphate in the diet, and adequate vitamin D and vitamin K can often quickly regulate blood pressure and fluid regulation."

Ella

Forum Supporter
I was in contact with Dr. Peat regarding my hypertension just these past few days, and he concurs with you regarding increasing calcium intake. He tells me that my PTH level of 40 still could benefit in going down, and that currently it can be affected by low calcium intake levels: "I think 40 pg/mL of PTH is enough, when phosphate intake is high relative to calcium, to contribute to hypertension," and "Calcium, vitamin D, parathyroid, and thyroid hormones interact closely with ADH. A high ratio of calcium to phosphate in the diet, and adequate vitamin D and vitamin K can often quickly regulate blood pressure and fluid regulation."

I concur with Dr Peat your PTH could come lower and your Vitamin D is a tad low. You should try to get it well over 50 but nothing crazy. Even though your urinary calcium is in the range there is plenty of wiggle room for you to consume more calcium in the diet. ,

Track blood pressure and see how it falls as you increase milk/cheese consumption. If you are consuming a lot of red meat and other high phosphate foods then you need to up the calcium or reduce the phosphate rich foods. Phosphate is a fertiliser for tumor cells.

Blood pressure should be a no brainer when drs stick to basic physiology.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals