IP6 lowered my ferritin

Lucas

Hello.
I want to share that 1 month of taking 500 mg of IP6 two times a day (1 hour before breakfast and 2 hours before dinner) take at the week and not at Saturday and Sunday lowered my ferritin from 313 to 231. Nice! :D :D No side effect from the supplement.
The weekend are off because family obligations cannot wait!! :lol: :lol: And maybe even if IP6 is depleting my zinc and magnesium, I get than at the weekend days. Also, I take magnesium chloride every night.

Taked this brand http://www.swansonvitamins.com/swanson- ... e-240-caps
The goal now is to go to the less than 200 at the next blood test (one more month of use).

dookie

Lucas said:
The goal now is to go to the less than 200 at the next blood test (one more month of use).

Don't go by numbers on a piece of paper. It's foolish to set such goals, to get a certain lab value to a certain number. Go by how you feel, signs and symptoms.

narouz

In my thread about IP6 for iron chelation
https://raypeatforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7338&p=98452&hilit=IP6#p98452
I had these rather odd results
after using IP6 and inositol for several weeks.
Still don't know exactly what to make of the results.

narouz said:
post 98452 Wanted to update with a lab comparison.

Here are my April iron lab numbers...

GGT 82 HIGH IU/L 0-65 01
Iron Bind.Cap.(TIBC) 378 ug/dL 250-450 01
UIBC 174 ug/dL 150-375 01
Iron, Serum 204 HIGH ug/dL 40-155 01
Iron Saturation 54 % 15-55 01
Ferritin, Serum 74 ng/mL 30-400 01
Hemoglobin 16.1 g/dL

And here are my recent August numbers...

GGT 61 IU/L 0-65 01
Iron Bind.Cap.(TIBC) 434 ug/dL 250-450 01
UIBC 354 ug/dL 150-375 01
Iron, Serum 80 ug/dL 40-155 01
Iron Saturation 18 % 15-55 01
Ferritin, Serum 28 LOW ng/mL 30-400 01
Hemoglobin 15.9 g/dL 12.6-17.7 01

I'm not sure if this is a good or bad progression. :roll:
Both the IBC and UIBC are up, with UIBC way up.
Ferritin way down--"LOW", in fact.
Hemoglobin nearly unchanged.
Iron Saturation way down.
Serum Iron way down....

I had been taking IP6 500mg + Inositol 500mg for about a month before August test.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ella

Forum Supporter
Lucas, very impressive. Were you doing doing other peat things like eating liver/oysters once a week? Drinking coffee with iron rich meals. Did you change your diet to predominately milk and potatoes? A few more details on your eating plan would be helpful. The Swanson is very inexpensive, but contains silica which is a ***t. :(

Narouz, your ferritin has come down very low. It was fine before at 75. Have you been investigated for B12 & B6 deficiency, or other conditions that can cause high blood serum? This could be due to liver damage if you have been a big drinker in the past. Are you a dairy eater or milker drinker? Are you exposed to lead? I would do a red blood cell test of your other minerals such as potassium, sodium, zinc, copper, selenium, calcium, magnesium etc. If eating the peat friendly foods have not helped, you need to look deeper as there maybe toxicities or deficiencies that need to be rectified or brought into balance before your health can be improved. Peat has guided you to take iron levels seriously, you need to investigate further. I think someone mentioned ceruloplasmin. I think testing it will give you a broader picture of what is going on. I would stop the IP6 and address your other imbalances. IP6 has been impressive in lowering ferritin and for those individuals that truly have high ferritin then it looks an easier option than donating blood or keeping pet leeches.

michael94

dookie said:
post 107065
Lucas said:

Don't go by numbers on a piece of paper. It's foolish to set such goals, to get a certain lab value to a certain number. Go by how you feel, signs and symptoms.

Kind of an unnecessary distinction, 200+ ferritin is definitely bad in the same sort of way a TSH of 4 would be bad. You wouldn't tell someone to not go for a TSH under 2. Feeling better is implied and basically universal.

OP
L

Lucas

I take too 200 mg of calcium citrate at lunch when I eat meat, to block iron absorption.

Ella

Forum Supporter
Thanks Lucas, your experience offers lots of hope for those individuals that are not able to tolerate coffee, aspirin etc. So you don't drink coffee and milk with iron-rich meats? Did you see a naturopath or alternative health MD for the suggestion of the calcium citrate? At this rate you should be back into the normal range in soon. :rockout Are you able to provide a full iron panel next time you test? :thankyou

narouz

Ella said:
Narouz, your ferritin has come down very low. It was fine before at 75. Have you been investigated for B12 & B6 deficiency, or other conditions that can cause high blood serum? This could be due to liver damage if you have been a big drinker in the past. Are you a dairy eater or milker drinker? Are you exposed to lead? I would do a red blood cell test of your other minerals such as potassium, sodium, zinc, copper, selenium, calcium, magnesium etc. If eating the peat friendly foods have not helped, you need to look deeper as there maybe toxicities or deficiencies that need to be rectified or brought into balance before your health can be improved. Peat has guided you to take iron levels seriously, you need to investigate further. I think someone mentioned ceruloplasmin. I think testing it will give you a broader picture of what is going on. I would stop the IP6 and address your other imbalances. IP6 has been impressive in lowering ferritin and for those individuals that truly have high ferritin then it looks an easier option than donating blood or keeping pet leeches.

Yes, when I saw those results, I stopped.
I had been taking it to reduce iron.
Oddly, it didn't effect my serum iron much.

Looks like I have fatty liver--high enzymes.
Oddly, again!, my difficulties began after a period where I happen to have not been drinking at all, for like a year.
So...I've been approaching it like NAFL.
(and--my 3rd "oddly" :lol: --I was getting the enzymes down to almost within normal
until my last labs of a couple days ago
when they unaccountably (aka oddly) went strongly back up again!
I suspect the tianeptine I'd been experimenting with, the lack of sun this past month, and/or shift to more tea than coffee...)

Thank you for your ideas, Ella!

OP
L

Lucas

Hello.
I did it on my own, no doctor help, just by searching at internet about IP6.
I don’t like coffee because it yellows my teeth!! ;) I take caffeine pills instead.
I read on the net that calcium is better than coffee for blocking iron absorption, so, since I don’t like to drink milk when I eat, I take a calcium citrate supplement that was already on home (my son was taking it). I don’t know if the citrate form is the better, but since I already had it, I take this form.
Don’t worry; I will do a full iron panel test in December again. My goal is to lower my ferritin to 50 before taking thyroid, because I fell that the excesses iron or is the cause of my hypothyroidism or is blocking conversion of t4 to t3 when I take my natural desiccated thyroid. Every time a began taking thyroid I feel better for just 2 days and worse again, and maybe is the iron that make it happens.

Ella

Forum Supporter
:bravo for taking responsibility for your health.
Lucas said:
post 107242 I fell that the excesses iron or is the cause of my hypothyroidism or is blocking conversion of t4 to t3 when I take my natural desiccated thyroid. Every time a began taking thyroid I feel better for just 2 days and worse again, and maybe is the iron that make it happens.
Have you checked your reverse T3. I would do so before supplementing with thyroid. People tend to rush into supplementing thyroid hormone. You should work on improving liver health first and let the rT3 guide you. BTW, were you a milk drinker and dairy eater prior to being diagnosed with high ferritin levels?
Keep doing what your doing and I look forward to your next lot of results

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
:1 :yeahthat

:hattip

Ella

Forum Supporter
narouz said:
post 107238 I suspect the tianeptine I'd been experimenting with, the lack of sun this past month, and/or shift to more tea than coffee...)

I would get rid of all medications that the liver needs to detoxify which includes all supplements. Only what is absolutely necessary and you have been tested deficient in. Follow a natural diet, for example liver for B12 etc. Absolutely, no alcohol. Good quality milk and cheese and seafood. Supplements are contaminated with heavy metals and fungal metabolites. You have high levels of iron in the blood, which means cells are being destroyed.
http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/201066-overview

Get some thorough testing done to find out why you have high levels. You will need to get ferritin levels up to healthy range. Lamb's fry helps and an intact gut lining - another reason to get crap out.
Best.

OP
L

Lucas

How to improve liver health?
In this blood test these are my results for the liver enzymes:
(AST): 22 U/L Ref : to 34 U/L
ALT : 15 U/L Ref: to 49 U/L
GGT: 19 U/L Ref: to 73 U/L
So, this is an indication that my liver is healthy?
Not measured my reverse t3. :doh

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals