IP6 & B2 Side Effects

Melba

Hi newly registered but have been reading for awhile, of special interest was IP6 for iron chelating, following advice given here I bought IP6 gold as I have high ferritin and have been taking 2 tabs twice a day for a few weeks now.

I felt fine on IP6 with no noticeable changes in me except for relaxing mood and then I took B2 100mg for a couple of days and noticed my pee wasn't yellow where as before IP6 it was.

Has any had a similar experience? I'm thinking IP6 is some how making my liver store all of the B2, I'm not aware of ever having been deficient in B2 and this has never happened before it is concerning to me as to why/what is happening.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated

OP
M

Melba

Thanks for responses, I didn't know IP6 blocks absorption but thought it was meant to chelate iron and if it did block absorption of B2 then wouldn't my body expel it and turn my pee yellow?

I have stopped taking the IP6 and the B2 don't feel any different, but would still like to rid myself of iron, I tried blood donation but they couldn't find my veins so that's not an option.

I don't eat liver, what is the connection?

Ella

Forum Supporter
Liver contains Vitamin A, B2, folate and copper all required to utilise iron properly. I have seen nice results with high ferritin levels. More impressive than IP6 and blood draws.

you're supposed to take IP6 on an empty stomach or at least away from foods that you actually want to derive nutrition from.

Dragon

Thanks for responses, I didn't know IP6 blocks absorption but thought it was meant to chelate iron and if it did block absorption of B2 then wouldn't my body expel it and turn my pee yellow?

I know it blocks absorption of -minerals-, i.e. metals (zinc, magnesium I think, probably copper and others). I do not 'know' that it blocks absorption of B2 or other B-vits.

In any case, when absorption from your intestine is blocked, then whatever was blocked stays in your intestine and thus exits in your poop. The only way something gets into your pee is from your bloodstream/veins. They feed through the kidneys, which create pee.

OP
M

Melba

Thanks for that info, if it isn't IP6 blocking B2 absorption then it's a mystery to me and I will leave it alone.

Where to now with chelating stored iron? I couldn't do liver, the mere thought of eating liver makes me gag.

Dragon

yeah, lots of folks wanting to 'iron out' their problems... :p

attached review of chelators from 2009...so a few years from 'latest data', but perhaps still useful to you. and a few other papers in re iron.

I would note that one must always be careful with interpreting language. For example, the word 'chelation'. What is someone talking about? Chelating from WHERE? Often, they mean from serum, i.e. looking for a reduced serum level. But the paper they quote from is actually talking about reduced -liver- storage. Or someone will say they are using chelator 'x' they heard about on the internets, to help with Alzheimer's, but chelator-x doesn't even cross the BBB (blood-brain barrier). Or perhaps they speak of one that crosses the BBB, but it does not remove iron from >>within cells<<.

In a lot of the research on iron-caused maladies and iron-removal, that seems to be the sticking point...how to get iron out of the CELL itself. This is my focus at the moment, as I work to heal my wife's breast cancer.

good fortune to you :)

Attachments

• CANC-NUTR-IRON- Synthetic and natural iron chelators- therapeutic potential, clinical use-2009.pdf
    572.4 KB · Views: 36
  • CANC-IRON- Hepcidin- regulation of the master iron regulator-2015.pdf
    536.8 KB · Views: 24

Ella

Forum Supporter
Dragon, thanks for those two excellent papers and wish you all the best for your wife. The following is from one of those papers.

The biological role of serum ferritin is unclear, although our laboratory has speculated that it may play a role in regulation of angiogenesis [42].

You need to understand why you have high ferritin in the first instance. When the body has inadequate nutrient cofactors, iron is not able to be used properly. When the body can't use iron becomes toxic.

The body in all its wisdom sequesters iron and stores it as ferritin. Iron which is free floating is dangerous and causes untold damage. It is either stored as ferritin or being transported by transferritin to areas in need. There is a constant tug of war between bacteria and the cells over iron. There is some ferritin circulating in blood but if ferritin is high in the serum, it is going to be really high tuck away in deep storage sites like liver, spleen, pancreas and yes the brain. This toxic iron also drives tumour progression. Angiogenesis is the formation of new blood vessels. This is how cancer spreads.

Aspirin inhibits angiogenesis so it is a worthwhile strategy to employ. Aspirin is also able to cross blood brain barrier and chelate not only iron but aluminium too.

So before you think about chelating it out, you need to remember, this does not address why the body is accumulating all this iron in the first place. Firstly, you want to make sure iron is being used properly. Liver has all the nutrient cofactors to do this. When we see high ferritin levels then it is a good bet that you are also vitamin A deficient and copper deficient. Folate is required and B2 which is also highly bioavailable in liver along with b12. Usually, the individual has plenty of iron stores but will be anaemic at the same time. So you want to be careful about blood draws as this can make the situation worse.

If you want to chelate then stick to foods and stay away from the synthetic chelators. I have never needed to use them and if you really understand Peat's philosophy then you will understand the foods he places emphasis on are precisely the ones you should incorporate into your diet.

Cancer and bacterial infections should not be taken lightly. Prevention is worth the effort and should not be scoffed at.

Peat has cautioned that riboflavin is slightly toxic.

Liver is high in iron which worried me in the beginning when treating high ferritin, but when consumed with milk, coffee or green tea, it is not an issue. You should be doing this with all high iron foods if you are postmenopausal, however, if you are still cycling or anemic you need to be less aggressive.

BTW, how high is your ferritin?
  • Ferritin of less than 30 indicates iron deficiency
  • Ferritin if less than 18 indicates poor iron stores
  • Normal ferritin levels differ from male to female and from adults to children

Vitamin A deficiency modulates iron metabolism independent of hemojuvelin (Hfe2) and bone morphogenetic protein 6 (Bmp6) transcript levels

RACGP - Elevated serum ferritin – what should GPs know?

Dragon

The 'tug of war' for iron, between bacteria and cells, is interesting. Given that the body has little way to actually get rid of iron, it makes one wonder if -bacteria- is our body's evolved method of iron disposal...

Kray

Liver contains Vitamin A, B2, folate and copper all required to utilise iron properly. I have seen nice results with high ferritin levels. More impressive than IP6 and blood draws.
Ha, what a paradox! Seems that the very source of high iron via liver is the way to protect from iron overload? Is this due to the checks and balances of all the naturally occurring vitamins and minerals other than iron in liver that protect against same?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals