Iodized salt made my feet and hands exceptionally warm -- what gives?

montmorency

Giraffe said:
post 100683
Makrosky said:
post 100675 It wouldn't surprise me that iodine has boosted your metabolism, although the ammount of iodine in the iodized salt is very very small
Morton iodized table salt
serving size 1/4 tsp (1.5 g)
iodine 45% daily value (based on a 2,000 kcal diet)

This granulated salt has a free-flowing agent added to ensure that "When It Rains It Pours®"

Considering how down Ray is on impurities, I'm surprised he seems to use/recommend this.
In fact, most table salt seems to have additives (other than iodine).

Last edited by a moderator:

montmorency

milk_lover said:
post 100740
Parsifal said:
I have the same reaction everytime I eat seafood like Mussels which is very high in iodine, I get almost hyper and feel so warm that it is very easy to sweat even if I'm not moving.[....] I believe that Peat doesn't like it and think too much is bad because iodine can raise TSH that is a stress hormone for him?
I posted a few weeks ago in this forum that I did experiment with eating too much mussels (large bowl of mussels) for three consecutive days and I had hypo symptoms. Maybe too much iodine from mussels was bad for my thyroid as Ray Peat theorized.

Well, let's say each bowl of mussels contained 50 mussels. According to one chart I pulled up, each mussel contains 140 mcg iodine
(oh, and about 5mg (not mcg) of iron).

So 1 bowl would contain 7000mcg or 7mg. That's slightly more than one drop of 5% Lugol's solution.
So rather than depend on indeterminate amounts, why don't you do this experiment with a known amount, e.g. with Lugol's?
Take 1 drop per day for 3 days, and see if you get the same effect.

And yes, you definitely want selenium with the iodine (if as a supplement, then selenomethionine is usually what is recommended).

OP
milk_lover

milk_lover

montmorency said:
post 101092 Considering how down Ray is on impurities, I'm surprised he seems to use/recommend this.
In fact, most table salt seems to have additives (other than iodine).
I think he recommends morton pickling salt or kosher salt, basically any regular table salt minus iodine or/and anti-caking/free-flowing agents.

OP
milk_lover

milk_lover

montmorency said:
post 101095 Well, let's say each bowl of mussels contained 50 mussels. According to one chart I pulled up, each mussel contains 140 mcg iodine
(oh, and about 5mg (not mcg) of iron).

So 1 bowl would contain 7000mcg or 7mg. That's slightly more than one drop of 5% Lugol's solution.
So rather than depend on indeterminate amounts, why don't you do this experiment with a known amount, e.g. with Lugol's?
Take 1 drop per day for 3 days, and see if you get the same effect.

And yes, you definitely want selenium with the iodine (if as a supplement, then selenomethionine is usually what is recommended).
Well this will be an interesting experiment to do in the near future. I have to time it right because I am very busy at my job and I don't want to ruin my weekends :D

RealNeat

wouldnt iodized salt water be a cheap and effective mouthwash?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals