Iodized salt made my feet and hands exceptionally warm -- what gives?

milk_lover

Today I ran out of my salt, so I used the iodized one sitting on the kitchen table. I usually feel warm after I drink my usual sugared salted milk before bed.. But after I put the iodized salt, I feel very warm, warmer than with regular un-iodized salt. My heart is beating faster. What is implied here? Does my body need extra iodine and iodine, contrary to what Peat said, is important to add/supplement to my daily routine? I know we can get plenty of iodine from seafood, but what if the seafood in the country where I am currently at is low quality and not fresh? Would iodized salt be a good substitute for seafood/an iodine supplement?

bornamachine

Please record your temps and heart rate for the next couple weeks and report back here to exclude coincidence.

Makrosky

milk_lover said:
Today I ran out of my salt, so I used the iodized one sitting on the kitchen table. I usually feel warm after I drink my usual sugared salted milk before bed.. But after I put the iodized salt, I feel very warm, warmer than with regular un-iodized salt. My heart is beating faster. What is implied here? Does my body need extra iodine and iodine, contrary to what Peat said, is important to add/supplement to my daily routine? I know we can get plenty of iodine from seafood, but what if the seafood in the country where I am currently at is low quality and not fresh? Would iodized salt be a good substitute for seafood/an iodine supplement?

It wouldn't surprise me that iodine has boosted your metabolism, although the ammount of iodine in the iodized salt is very very small. So either it was pure coincidence, or maybe you are extremely "iodine deficient". Even OTC multivitamins have a much bigger dose of iodine that what you probably ingested from iodized salt.

If I were you, I would keep taking the iodized salt and see how it goes. It can't hurt.

Tarmander

Peat' s stance on Iodine has always bothered me a bit just because I have definitely seen people use it to correct health difficulties. Perhaps long term it can mess with metabolism I do not know. I will say though that the few times I took kelp, I would feel warm all over.

Makrosky

Giraffe said:
post 100683
Makrosky said:
post 100675 It wouldn't surprise me that iodine has boosted your metabolism, although the ammount of iodine in the iodized salt is very very small
Morton iodized table salt
serving size 1/4 tsp (1.5 g)
iodine 45% daily value (based on a 2,000 kcal diet)

Hi Giraffe, two-legged human here.

How much is a 100% USA daily value ? Then we can see what 45% is and argue.

The iodized salt I got at home (Spain) is 6mg iodine in 100 grams. That means 0,06mg (60mcg) per gram of salt. If you eat 2 grams of iodized salt per day you're ingesting 120mcg of iodine per day. Some of the multivitamins I used to buy from iherb, american brands, used to have between 80 and 200 mcg of iodine per daily dose. In my country, the recommended daily dose of iodine is 150mcg for adult males.

Last edited by a moderator:

Giraffe

@ Makrosky, two-legged human :)
One teaspoon of your iodized salt equals to 300 mcg iodine. That is 200% RDI. I would not call the iodine you get from fortified salt a "very small amount". The milk-link I added because I think that many people underestimate how much iodine they get from food.

OP
milk_lover

milk_lover

I just woke up (8 1/2 hours) and I feel refreshed and relaxed with still warm hands and feet. I will continue experimenting with iodized salt and see how it goes. I read a study that measured iodine in different iodized salt brands and the mean value, if I remember correctly, was 44 mcg/g... so about 3 grams would meet the RDA value. If anybody has information about the role of iodine in a peat-oriented diet, I would really appreciate it.

Makrosky

milk_lover said:
I just woke up (8 1/2 hours) and I feel refreshed and relaxed with still warm hands and feet. I will continue experimenting with iodized salt and see how it goes. I read a study that measured iodine in different iodized salt brands and the mean value, if I remember correctly, was 44 mcg/g... so about 3 grams would meet the RDA value. If anybody has information about the role of iodine in a peat-oriented diet, I would really appreciate it.

Peat doesn't advocate the use of extra iodine. He probably thinks what we get from foods is ok. There's info in older threads. But you have to have to percieve, think and act by YOURSELF.

Parsifal

I have the same reaction everytime I eat seafood like Mussels which is very high in iodine, I get almost hyper and feel so warm that it is very easy to sweat even if I'm not moving.
There is a lot of Zinc and Copper in it too and I believe they are involved in the conversion (mostly zinc) of T4 to T3.
Iodine is the precursor to T4 with the amino acid tyrosine...

I believe that Peat doesn't like it and think too much is bad because iodine can raise TSH that is a stress hormone for him?
The conventional view is that TSH stimulates the production or T4 and T3 but I'm still a newbie with a lot to learn here :).

On the other hand a lot of people believe that we need to take high doses of iodine because we live in a world flooded with halides (chlorine, fluoride, bromide, ...) and radiations...
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1044
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=7363
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2636

Are you eating dairy and eggs regularly?

OP
milk_lover

milk_lover

Parsifal said:
I have the same reaction everytime I eat seafood like Mussels which is very high in iodine, I get almost hyper and feel so warm that it is very easy to sweat even if I'm not moving.[....] I believe that Peat doesn't like it and think too much is bad because iodine can raise TSH that is a stress hormone for him?
I posted a few weeks ago in this forum that I did experiment with eating too much mussels (large bowl of mussels) for three consecutive days and I had hypo symptoms. Maybe too much iodine from mussels was bad for my thyroid as Ray Peat theorized.

Parsifal said:
On the other hand a lot of people believe that we need to take high doses of iodine because we live in a world flooded with halides (chlorine, fluoride, bromide, ...) and radiations...
I have been spraying magnesium oil (magnesium chloride--about 30 sprays) on my body for the last three months.. Could the chlorine affect my iodine levels and thus extra iodine is needed?

Parsifal said:
Are you eating dairy and eggs regularly?
I drink about 2 liters of milk a day, I used to eat eggs everyday but I replaced it the last three weeks with liver and now I eat eggs one or two times a week.

Makrosky said:
But you have to have to percieve, think and act by YOURSELF.
Good motto :D

Makrosky

milk_lover said:
I have been spraying magnesium oil (magnesium chloride--about 30 sprays) on my body for the last three months.. Could the chlorine affect my iodine levels and thus extra iodine is needed?

No. Chloride in magnesium chloride is not Chlorine like the one you find in swimming pools.

Parsifal

milk_lover said:
I posted a few weeks ago in this forum that I did experiment with eating too much mussels (large bowl of mussels) for three consecutive days and I had hypo symptoms. Maybe too much iodine from mussels was bad for my thyroid as Ray Peat theorized.
I don't know, maybe we raise thyroid everytime we are eating more iodine so we maybe should need more selenium/zinc/vitamin A/tyrosine/calories to prevent a thyroid crash?

Makrosky

Parsifal said:
milk_lover said:
I don't know, maybe we raise thyroid everytime we are eating more iodine so we maybe should need more selenium/zinc/vitamin A/tyrosine/calories to prevent a thyroid crash?

Of course you need more minerals if you rise up your metabolism via iodine, specially selenium.

I just posted some RP views on iodine in a separate thread.

OP
milk_lover

milk_lover

Makrosky said:
No. Chloride in magnesium chloride is not Chlorine like the one you find in swimming pools.
So the fact that one is not an ion and the other is an ion (chloride) gives them different functions in the body? Chlorine has strong electron affinity so it acts like a strong oxidizing element (as opposed to the function of anti-oxidants) so this could explain why chlorine might be dangerous for our tissues. Thanks for the clarification.
Parsifal said:
The selenium part would make sense because most of iodine natural sources have selenium with them.

Makrosky

milk_lover said:
post 100783
Makrosky said:
So the fact that one is not an ion and the other is an ion (chloride) gives them different functions in the body? Chlorine has strong electron affinity so it acts like a strong oxidizing element (as opposed to the function of anti-oxidants) so this could explain why chlorine might be dangerous for our tissues. Thanks for the clarification.
I don't know much about biochemistry but I have read many times that while researching info on Iodine. Even Dr. Brownstein (one of the top promoters of iodine supplementation in the world and very well aware of halides) recommends magnesium chloride. I trust him on that.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Makrosky said:
post 100849
I don't know much about biochemistry but I have read many times that while researching info on Iodine. Even Dr. Brownstein (one of the top promoters of iodine supplementation in the world and very well aware of halides) recommends magnesium chloride. I trust him on that.
That reminded me of burtlancast's post on magnesium chloride.

burtlancast said:
- magnesium chloride: Ray has written it's multiplying many folds the activity of white blood cells and helps efficiently to fight infections.

viewtopic.php?p=62819#p62819

Last edited:
OP
milk_lover

milk_lover

Makrosky said:
post 100849
milk_lover said:
post 100783
Makrosky said:
Charlie said:
post 100858
Makrosky said:
post 100849
That reminded me of burtlancast's post on magnesium chloride.

burtlancast said:
- magnesium chloride: Ray has written it's multiplying many folds the activity of white blood cells and helps efficiently to fight infections.

viewtopic.php?p=62819#p62819
Thanks guys. Now I feel good about it :D

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals