Iodine Redistribution During Trauma, Sepsis, and Hibernation: An Evolutionarily Conserved Response to Severe Stress

Ben.

What???? That I have missed. Please tell me more. Last time I checked iodized salt was just refined salt with added potassium iodide. What's the problem with that?

I think its because of what he wrote in another thread:

You continue to confuse iodide and iodine. Please learn to differentiate. It is the same difference between chlorine, which is toxic, and chloride, which is essential for life. Ray has warned against excess iodine (I2), the form found in Lugol's, the molecular form. The article on his website which I quoted discusses iodide (I-), the reduced form. The form of iodine found in iodized salt, whatever remains of it once it reaches your plate, is mostly iodate, which, like iodine, is a strong oxidizing agent and can (rarely) damage the thyroid in susceptible people. Potassium iodide (KI) has been used in gram-sized amounts for centuries with very few side effects. Once toxic levels are reached (tens of grams daily for weeks), it is very likely the elevated potassium content that is to blame, not the iodide. It is known that Ray is ok with a gram of so of iodide short-term. He is probably against doing that for more than a few weeks. This is a far cry from stating off-hand, like you did, that "iodine causes hypothyroidism". This is just plain bollox.

Makrosky

I think its because of what he wrote in another thread:
Thanks Ben =)

One thing still remains unclear : how does the potassium iodide in the salt become iodate? Because all brands I checked contained added potassium iodide, not iodate. Is it because it reacts with the sodium chloride?

I checked it like 10yrs ago so maybe they have changed?

Last edited:
OP
Jam

Jam

Thanks Ben =)

One thing still remains unclear : how does the potassium iodide in the salt become iodate? Because all brands I checked contained added potassium iodide, not iodate. Is it because it reacts with the sodium chloride?

I checked it like 10yrs ago so maybe they have changed?
There does not appear to be any significant issue with potassium iodate by itself in small quantities -- it is converted to iodide in the digestive tract. The potential issues with iodized salt that I'm concerned about are impurities, disinfection byproducts, and heavy metal contamination. For example, since potassium iodide slowly oxidizes to iodine, and iodine is very reactive, toxic compounds such as mercury iodide can be generated.

Last edited:

Makrosky

There does not appear to be any significant issue with potassium iodate by itself in small quantities -- it is converted to iodide in the digestive tract. The potential issues with iodized salt that I'm concerned about are impurities, disinfection byproducts, and heavy metal contamination. For example, since potassium iodide slowly oxidizes to iodine, and iodine is very reactive, toxic compounds such as mercury iodide can be generated.
I see. Makes sense. Thanks a lot!!

LLight

This reminds me the publications about how iodine used to screen cancers can concentrates in old tuberculosis infection sites.

I sometimes take lugol's solution by putting it in some yogurt, could this be an issue and forming iodocasein at room temperature?

Thanks for this post.

OP
Jam

Jam

This reminds me the publications about how iodine used to screen cancers can concentrates in old tuberculosis infection sites.

I sometimes take lugol's solution by putting it in some yogurt, could this be an issue and forming iodocasein at room temperature?

Thanks for this post.
Iodide inside the lactocytes is oxidized and incorporated into casein by a lactoperoxidase (LPO), forming iodocasein molecules (Figure 2). These iodocasein molecules are aggregated inside micelles and will be secreted into breast milk (Figure 2) (71).

I2 + casein = iodocasein. For breast milk, lactoperoxidase (LPO) oxidizes I- to I2 which then combines with casein.

Not quite sure what is going on with boiling seafood in milk, though. I've never heard of anyone becoming hyperthyroid from New England clam chowder. The small amounts that are physiologically present in breast milk or New England clam chowder (if any??) should be fine. But the amount of I2 in Lugol's, when dropped into milk, may create a bit too much iodocasein for comfort? I'm not really sure.

OP
Jam

Jam

ANTIADIPOSO ® compresse da 125 mg di iodio (7.6% di iodiocaseina) e 12.33 mg di tiamina nitrato (pari a 10 mg di tiamina)

OP
Jam

Jam

Abstract​

We report the case of a 52-year-old woman with recent diagnosis of acute myocarditis and pericarditis, admitted for fever, tachycardia, and dyspnea upon exertion. Hematochemical parameters and instrumental examinations suggested iatrogenic hyperthyroidism and secondary dilated cardiomyopathy. Although gathering information about the medication used at home was initially difficult because of the patient's refusal to cooperate, she ended up by disclosing the regular assumption of an iodocasein drug. A complete and stable regression of the clinical picture was reached by suspending the iodine derivative and using cardiovascular drugs.

OP
Jam

Jam

For the record, I've taken up to 32 drops of 5% Lugol's in milk, and took 10 drops in milk per day for months, and never had a problem.

Not quite sure what is going on with boiling seafood in milk, though. I've never heard of anyone becoming hyperthyroid from New England clam chowder. The small amounts that are physiologically present in breast milk or New England clam chowder (if any??) should be fine. But the amount of I2 in Lugol's, when dropped into milk, may create a bit too much iodocasein for comfort? I'm not really sure.
The tyrosine in casein forms a special molecule with iodine (or iodide) when boiled maybe, which might mimic a precursor to T3

LLight

"He believes this atomic do-si-do explains why iodine atoms are linked to thyroid hormone. Because thyroid hormones increase oxygen consumption, they also increase inflammation and oxidative damage. Iodine’s there to balance it out."

So, if iodine is really an antioxidant that counterbalances the metabolism that is triggered by T3, thus, iodine supplementation or NIS upregulation might make your T3 receptors more sensitive (one molecule of T3 might induce a greater increase of metabolism if iodine is already available in your cells and vice versa) :

Thanks.

Yes, it is rather obvious that iodine is the important part of thyroid hormones, otherwise these hormones (which could be any other molecule) wouldn't contain 4 or 3 atoms of iodine.

According to Sebastiano Venturi, iodide could be a powerful antioxidant.

If T4 is reduced to T3 directly in the cell (if I remember correctly, I think I read that it was a significant source of T3), it both brings an antioxidant (an iodide ion) and allows the oxidative metabolism to happen.

But what if iodine is brought into the cell not by T4 but by free iodine and symporter upregulation (while deiodinase is downregulated)? You would have iodide in the cell, but no signal to increase the metabolism? Maybe having an alternative source of iodine for the cell increases the T3 receptor sensitivity? That would explain the observations of Brownstein with his thyroid hormones-supplemented hypothyroids patients doing better with inorganic iodine. Is the LXR an important piece of the puzzle?

Maybe my understanding is too simple, or obvious, or blatantly wrong :):

Last edited:
OP
Jam

Jam

That’s a lt iodine. What benefits did you notice from taking it?
I take a minimum of 3 drops of SSKI (150mg of KI) daily for periodontal disease. It has worked quite well, judging from the fact that I have not lost any more teeth since starting a few years ago, after having been told by multiple dentists that I would have lost all my teeth by now.

Inaut

I take a minimum of 3 drops of SSKI (150mg of KI) daily for periodontal disease. It has worked quite well, judging from the fact that I have not lost any more teeth since starting a few years ago, after having been told by multiple dentists that I would have lost all my teeth by now.
I also take 3 drops of sski daily. I've become so playful lately which I think is associated with the iodine/dopaminergic effects.

Makrosky

I am not saying it isn't working but dentists sometimes are... true scaremongers.

They told a friend of mine he would be loosing teeth gradually from periodontal disease. About 10 yrs have passed, he hasn't done anything about it and he hasn't lost any.

Makrosky

I also take 3 drops of sski daily. I've become so playful lately which I think is associated with the iodine/dopaminergic effects.
Have you noticed changes in mood/personality traits or different reactions from others? I asked Jam about this but this thread might be a good one to ask also.

What intrigues me most is that sometimes while supplementing SSKI others can react aggressively towards me. Or the opposite. It reminds me all these posts in the androsterone threads of people having that experience.

Makrosky

I also feel that sometimes but other times (maybe taking too much) can put me kind of verbally aggressive mood. Years pass... and iodine is still such an amazing and misterious molecule to me...

OP
Jam

Jam

I am not saying it isn't working but dentists sometimes are... true scaremongers.

They told a friend of mine he would be loosing teeth gradually from periodontal disease. About 10 yrs have passed, he hasn't done anything about it and he hasn't lost any.
Agreed, although in my case they were correct, judging from the x-rays, and I was losing teeth by the mouthful: 4 wisdom teeth, 5 molars and an upper incisor in 4 years. The first 2 wisdom teeth just came out while I was eating within 2 months of each other. The other teeth I had pulled due to most becoming loose and causing gingival abscesses. The periodontal disease seems to have halted since I started SSKI a few years ago.

ps. all my teeth have very short roots, for some reason. Maybe because I was severely malnourished for a year or so as a child due to chronically swollen tonsils.

OP
Jam

Jam

I also feel that sometimes but other times (maybe taking too much) can put me kind of verbally aggressive mood. Years pass... and iodine is still such an amazing and misterious molecule to me...
The first few times I took SSKI it gave me an immense energy (this may make one agressive I guess depending on the mood and environment) and destroyed any sign of joint pain, which I was suffering from at the time (surely due to the periodontal disease, I have discussed this here with @yerrag in the past). Since then my joints seem to have completely healed. Along with the SSKI, I believe the D3 (15k IU daily) is what finally pushed them into healing mode.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals