Iodine Question (after Reading Gbolduev)

Steve

After reading all the stuff about receptors & agonists & antagonists & regulating & down-regulating & all that stuff I was wondering if there is a clue to my iodine problem in there somewhere.

I was normal. Then I took 6.25mg of Potassium Iodide (Iodoral) for 2 1/2 years just for the hell of it. I stopped taking it completely one day, & a couple weeks later I became extremely hyperthyroid (probably Grave's Disease since there were some TSI antibodies found).

After 6 months the hyper went away, & now I'm hypo instead where I've been for 2 years. Is there a chance I down-regulated or up-regulated something, or did something to some receptors or something like that?

What are some safe things I could try to fix this issue?
(I've been taking 2 grains of NDT but it doesn't really change anything except my labs). Still have a low pulse, low temp, low energy, & dizziness.

Makrosky

Check the redlight threads and the thread "becoming a man with peat and haidut" written by tyler. He also had problems with thyroid supplements, I think @Tarmander also had to find a specific brand of NDT that worked for him. Apparently some NDT brands are ineffective for some people.

OP
S

Steve

Check the redlight threads and the thread "becoming a man with peat and haidut" written by tyler. He also had problems with thyroid supplements, I think @Tarmander also had to find a specific brand of NDT that worked for him. Apparently some NDT brands are ineffective for some people.
Well I'd rather not take them at all & let my body fix things naturally. I was hoping there was a way to do that. I hate taking a thyroid supplement when normally the body is constantly adjusting it's output up & down. I want my normal body back!

InChristAlone

Out of curiosity what we're your symptoms of hyperthyroid? Any panic attacks?

Djukami

Why did you start taking Potassium Iodide in the first place?

[EDIT]: "just for the hell of it"
Oh, it seems you've already answered my question. Sorry. I missed it for some reason.

Last edited:

Makrosky

Well I'd rather not take them at all & let my body fix things naturally. I was hoping there was a way to do that. I hate taking a thyroid supplement when normally the body is constantly adjusting it's output up & down. I want my normal body back!
Check the redlight threads. At once! ;-)

OP
S

Steve

Out of curiosity what we're your symptoms of hyperthyroid? Any panic attacks?
I started taking the iodine for no good reason at all...............I just read a book & it sounded like a healthy thing to do along with some other vitamins & minerals.
Now I've learned my lesson & know better, but what's done is done.
I had a very high heart rate, bad anxiety.......couldn't handle loud noises, terrible fatigue, pressure in my ear & head, dizziness, & would get this feeling of doom & couldn't stop myself from crying (kind of embarrassing).
I lost 30 lbs of muscle. Could barely walk up the stairs at work with the muscle weakness & heart rate. Pain behind my eyes, joint pain in my fingers. A variety of fun things!
Didn't really have panic attacks..............well not even sure what that would entail, but I don't think so.

I'll check out the red light thread.

OP
S

Steve

Check the redlight threads. At once! ;-)
Which redlight thread? I searched for titles containing 'redlight", but I didn't see much.

Never mind............I searched your name & found "Red Light Therapy/LLLT

OP
S

Steve

Well it sure sounds intriguing. I would feel kind of stupid buying a $100 light & shining it on my thyroid because it sounds so crazy, but I'm kind of desperate.
I'm just afraid of making things worse though. I took iodine because I thought it was healthy & not dangerous, so I'm kind of leery now when it comes to trying something new.

Makrosky

Well it sure sounds intriguing. I would feel kind of stupid buying a $100 light & shining it on my thyroid because it sounds so crazy, but I'm kind of desperate.
I'm just afraid of making things worse though. I took iodine because I thought it was healthy & not dangerous, so I'm kind of leery now when it comes to trying something new.
Maybe start a new thread with a title like "I'm hypothyroid. Please advice" ?

Postin what are your symptoms, pulse+temps, what's your diet, supplements you take, etc...

Some blood tests would be good also. Do you know what is your TSH value?

Frankdee20

I started taking the iodine for no good reason at all...............I just read a book & it sounded like a healthy thing to do along with some other vitamins & minerals.
Now I've learned my lesson & know better, but what's done is done.
I had a very high heart rate, bad anxiety.......couldn't handle loud noises, terrible fatigue, pressure in my ear & head, dizziness, & would get this feeling of doom & couldn't stop myself from crying (kind of embarrassing).
I lost 30 lbs of muscle. Could barely walk up the stairs at work with the muscle weakness & heart rate. Pain behind my eyes, joint pain in my fingers. A variety of fun things!
Didn't really have panic attacks..............well not even sure what that would entail, but I don't think so.

I'll check out the red light thread.

How much Iodine were you taking ?

OP
S

Steve

How much Iodine were you taking ?
6.25 mg (1/2 of an Iodoral tablet).
I stopped all at once because I thought it would leave the body slowly.
That's when all hell broke loose.

I've posted in these forums a few times, but it's just not active enough to get many answers to my weird thyroid issue. My TSH was 5.2 a couple months ago with no meds. Now I'm on 2 grains of NDT, so it'll probably be below 1 as it was before when I was on meds. Was hoping to get new lab results today.

When then whole thing started with me going hyper there was always a major feeling of inflammation in my head (brain inflammation I guess). I still have that now that I'm hypo 2 years later, just not as intense. It comes on with anxiety & makes me instantly dizzy & fatigued.

Frankdee20

I remember reading something on those iodine advocating websites. The bad effects people feel from mega dosing iodine in the beginning results from iodine displacing halogens like flouride, etc. IDK

OP
S

Steve

I remember reading something on those iodine advocating websites. The bad effects people feel from mega dosing iodine in the beginning results from iodine displacing halogens like flouride, etc. IDK
Yeah, I was just reading something similar today. I never felt a thing when I was taking it. I should have never stopped I guess. A very small part of my brain says to start taking it again, but I don't think that'll happen. I think I'm done with supplements, because I really have no clue how they effect the body.......................unless I am 100% sure something will help me someday. Well I guess I shouldn't say that............because I have a bottle of low-dose naltrexone that I'm going to try in hopes it reduces the TSI antibodies which show up on my blood test. Then I'm done!

Frankdee20

Yeah that stuff is supposed to be holy water for everything.

After reading what happened to you, I'm amazed, and have only one thing to ask : were you taking selenium together with the iodine, while you were taking it?
If not, I am not at all surprised that this happened to you. You are not supposed to take selenium without iodine, NOR iodine without selenium. Bad things happen either way.
I've been taking up to 50-75 mg of iodine WITH 200 mcg selenium several times a week for several months. I've had no incidents, but because I'm not feeling much better either, I will probably stop soon.

However, I have read NUMEROUS studies which show that bad things happen when you take I without Se, or Se without I. They have to go hand in hand (and some other things along with those as well). If you decide to mess with iodine you have to be informed.

If you were not taking selenium, you probably over-oxidized your thyroid gland, and due to the lack of selenium the oxidation could not be controlled. This lead to inflammation of thyroid cells, eventually rupture and spilling of proteins into the bloodstream that your immune system recognized as invaders. Hence the TSI antibodies...

OP
S

Steve

After reading what happened to you, I'm amazed, and have only one thing to ask : were you taking selenium together with the iodine, while you were taking it?
If not, I am not at all surprised that this happened to you. You are not supposed to take selenium without iodine, NOR iodine without selenium. Bad things happen either way.
I've been taking up to 50-75 mg of iodine WITH 200 mcg selenium several times a week for several months. I've had no incidents, but because I'm not feeling much better either, I will probably stop soon.

However, I have read NUMEROUS studies which show that bad things happen when you take I without Se, or Se without I. They have to go hand in hand (and some other things along with those as well). If you decide to mess with iodine you have to be informed.

If you were not taking selenium, you probably over-oxidized your thyroid gland, and due to the lack of selenium the oxidation could not be controlled. This lead to inflammation of thyroid cells, eventually rupture and spilling of proteins into the bloodstream that your immune system recognized as invaders. Hence the TSI antibodies...
I was definitely taking selenium with the iodine. I followed the guidelines from Paul Jaminet with The Perfect Health Diet. I started with 225 mcg & doubled each month until I got to 6.25 mg. Always took selenium with it. Was very careful to follow the guidelines he laid out.............which were backed by others as well. So I'm not sure what went wrong. I imagine stress played a part, because I was really stressed out when this all happened............but who knows.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals