Iodine Poll

Do You Supplement Iodized Salt

• Yes

Votes: 18 40.9%
  • No

Votes: 26 59.1%

• Total voters
Just bought some Lugol's online. When it arrives( probably a week or two from now due to christmas and new year), I'll try it out and report what happens. I'm trying a low salt approach for now to see what it does for my bloating, therefore I need a source of iodine that isn't table salt.
Just as an update, I've been using iodine for almost a month now. I've tried different dosages, ranging from 600 mcg to 12 mg per day. There is a clear boost in cognition. Easier time at problem solving. Up until 6 mg at once, it increases temperature. When I tried 12 mg at once, it actually lowered it, especially of my feet. Iodine also seems to lower bacterial count in the mouth( better breath). Lastly, I seem to be naturally getting sleepy when it's 7 or 8 pm now, so I guess it's doing something good for the circadiam rhythm. The only side- effects I've had were some zits on my chest, as well as some gut irritation and cold feet, all of which only happen when I do high doses at once. I'll keep taking iodine for the foreseeable future, but in lower doses( 6 mg per day or less.)

Thank you for the kind words, it's my pleasure. If you can, measure your bloodpressure, it would be interesting to see possible changes.
I'm still doing the low salt experiment. It's been over a month now. I'm at a fourth of a teaspoon of salt currently. I unfortunately don't have the device to measure blood pressure. I was gonna buy one, but I'm broke. It's a bit more expensive than I thought. And I'm saving money to buy kuinone. Sorry. It certainly would have been interesting to see how my blood pressure changed, because my pulse is much smoother, especially when lying down.

BearWithMe

Just as an update, I've been using iodine for almost a month now. I've tried different dosages, ranging from 600 mcg to 12 mg per day. There is a clear boost in cognition. Easier time at problem solving. Up until 6 mg at once, it increases temperature. When I tried 12 mg at once, it actually lowered it, especially of my feet. Iodine also seems to lower bacterial count in the mouth( better breath). Lastly, I seem to be naturally getting sleepy when it's 7 or 8 pm now, so I guess it's doing something good for the circadiam rhythm. The only side- effects I've had were some zits on my chest, as well as some gut irritation and cold feet, all of which only happen when I do high doses at once. I'll keep taking iodine for the foreseeable future, but in lower doses( 6 mg per day or less.)
Do you also experience improved vision?

I'm very confused on Iodine right now. I have been supplementing 12.5 mg of Lugol's for about 3-4 weeks (I took 100 mcg of selenium with it).
During this time I noticed:
-improved sleep (less waking up to the bathroom throughout the night and when I did I could fall back asleep easily)
-much less estrogen issues - flatter stomach, a lot less gut bloat

However I had a thyroid panel a few days ago and EVERYTHING worsened. My TSH is now 4.5 (used to be around 3.5) and my T4 fell all the way down to 80 whereas usually it is around 100-110. I did not feel noticeable worse energy-wise but not much better either.

So how can it help with estrogen and improve my sleep yet at the same time wreck my thyroid function, at least on paper?

I have stopped taking it for a few days now and my sleep has returned to being terrible again, I wake up around 5 AM go to the bathroom and can barely fall asleep afterwards, extremely shallow sleep in general, and generally bloated and dealing with excess estrogen again, terrible.

Not sure if I should take it or not... :rolleyes:

I'm very confused on Iodine right now. I have been supplementing 12.5 mg of Lugol's for about 3-4 weeks (I took 100 mcg of selenium with it).
-improved sleep (less waking up to the bathroom throughout the night and when I did I could fall back asleep easily)

However I had a thyroid panel a few days ago and EVERYTHING worsened. My TSH is now 4.5 (used to be around 3.5) and my T4 fell all the way down to 80 whereas usually it is around 100-110. I did not feel noticeable worse energy-wise but not much better either.

So how can it help with estrogen and improve my sleep yet at the same time wreck my thyroid function, at least on paper?

I have stopped taking it for a few days now and my sleep has returned to being terrible again, I wake up around 5 AM go to the bathroom and can barely fall asleep afterwards, extremely shallow sleep in general, and generally bloated and dealing with excess estrogen again, terrible.

What happens when you take biotin? It is known to lower TSH. If it's helping your sleep, you could try a lower dose. Sleeping badly is very harmful.

What happens when you take biotin? It is known to lower TSH. If it's helping your sleep, you could try a lower dose. Sleeping badly is very harmful.

I don't know, I've never tried biotin yet. What I do know is that my iodine intake without supplementing is likely very poor. I have been using the same bag of Himalayan salt for like 3 years now (finally about to finish it) and I don't know if it ever was iodized, but even if it was it's likely all gone by now. And I have also very little access to seafood.

Unfortunately I bought a 5% Lugol's solution so I go from maybe 150-200 mcg without supplementing to 6 mg when I do. I am going to buy the 2% solution next time since it's a bit more flexible dosage wise. Or I can always dilute it myself I guess.

Perry Staltic

Or I can always dilute it myself I guess.

That would be the cheapest/easiest since you already have the 5%. You can also dilute by not taking it every day. I was doing one drop of 2% per day and had to stop after a few months because it made me feel really bad. If/when I restart I will do only one drop per week or longer.

I don't know, I've never tried biotin yet. What I do know is that my iodine intake without supplementing is likely very poor. I have been using the same bag of Himalayan salt for like 3 years now (finally about to finish it) and I don't know if it ever was iodized, but even if it was it's likely all gone by now. And I have also very little access to seafood.

Unfortunately I bought a 5% Lugol's solution so I go from maybe 150-200 mcg without supplementing to 6 mg when I do. I am going to buy the 2% solution next time since it's a bit more flexible dosage wise. Or I can always dilute it myself I guess.
Same, my iodine intake is meager without salt, and right now I'm not even ingesting salt, so iodine supplementation is mandatory to avoid a deficiency.

I initially bought 5% lugol's too, and thankfully I finished it last week. Now I decided to give the 2% a shot. The color of the 2% solution is milder, and only has 2,5 mg of iodine per drop, which much easier on the body than a large 6+ mg dose is. Diluting it would work, but you'd need a scale to be precise about the dose. You could also put one drop in a bottle of water and drink only half of it.

Jam

Whatever you do, please don't put the Lugol's in tap water. The iodine and chlorine in tap water will react creating toxic disinfection by-products.

johnsmith

I've found a lugol iodine supplement that has 150mcg for every three drops. It's called Life-flo Iodine Plus. I'm going to try it out because taking 150mcg a day sounds like a safe amount to try out.

Last edited:

Makrosky

It is normal that TSH goes up for a few months after starting iodine. It is about the NIS.

Besides that (for others reading this post), as it has been said so many times, if people do not supplement with selenomethionine also, thyroid is going to be slowly damaged over time.

It can also lower temps if too much without appropiate nutrition is taken. Just like anything that boosts metabolism.

baccheion

There's an iodine protocol. Some have even better luck when bumping it to 100 mg. TSH can remain elevated for the first few months. Better while following the protocol to ensure it all goes as repeated elsewhere.

There's an iodine protocol. Some have even better luck when bumping it to 100 mg. TSH can remain elevated for the first few months. Better while following the protocol to ensure it all goes as repeated elsewhere.

I am trying to do the full protocol, at least from what I could piece together online because I cannot the whole thing described anywhere.
(EDIT: found it https://jeffreydachmd.com/wp-conten...plementing-with-Iodine-Stephanie-Burst-ND.pdf)

I'm doing 50 mg iodine daily, 200 mcg selenium, 500 mg vitamin C, salt loading every other day, and magnesium chloride.

However I am getting tightness/burning sensation in throat/thyroid area. Any idea what to do about that?

baccheion

I am trying to do the full protocol, at least from what I could piece together online because I cannot the whole thing described anywhere.
(EDIT: found it https://jeffreydachmd.com/wp-conten...plementing-with-Iodine-Stephanie-Burst-ND.pdf)

I'm doing 50 mg iodine daily, 200 mcg selenium, 500 mg vitamin C, salt loading every other day, and magnesium chloride.

However I am getting tightness/burning sensation in throat/thyroid area. Any idea what to do about that?
The full protocol involves 500 mg (sustained-release) vitamin C 4x/day. ATP cofactors (100 mg vitamin B2 + 500 mg vitamin B3), 1 pill per 50 mg iodide/iodine. 200 mcg selenium from all sources. Sufficient magnesium, likely pushing up to the TUL. Sufficient salt. Salt loading would only be for the first week.

Another source found better experiences when jumping to 100 mg iodide/iodide right away.

There's a loading test to check for iodine sufficiency. Iodine increases thyroid function when the body is deficient and suppresses it once the body is sufficient. The loading phase and such high amounts of iodine/iodide are temporary. After, the dose is dropped to a 12.5 mg 1 month on + 3 months off cycle.

Tightness? I wouldn't know. There are iodine protocol groups on Facebook. You could ask in one of them.

Are you dissolving the iodine in some water before taking it? If I just put a drop of lugol's on my tongue, it burns, and I can taste it for hours. If I put a drop of it in a glass with a bit of water, it goes down smoothly, no burning sensation or aftertaste.

vetbusd

Whatever you do, please don't put the Lugol's in tap water. The iodine and chlorine in tap water will react creating toxic disinfection by-products.
do you have some more info on this? Cant find any claims or evidence regarding it, and Ive been disolving mine in tap water.
thanks

Are you dissolving the iodine in some water before taking it? If I just put a drop of lugol's on my tongue, it burns, and I can taste it for hours. If I put a drop of it in a glass with a bit of water, it goes down smoothly, no burning sensation or aftertaste.

In milk or mineral water, of course. The burning/tightness seems to be improving on a daily basis, and I think it might've also been influenced by the B6 I was taking concurrently. I upped the Vitamin C intake and so on.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals