Do You Supplement Iodized Salt

• Yes

Votes: 18 40.9%
  • No

Votes: 26 59.1%

• Total voters
J

james2388

The only way of assuring iodine is with supplementation. At this point we are unsure about any mineral status in our food system with our depleted soils and farming operations sea/land. I can't imagine how many people on here are supplementing thyroid hormones, when they have virtually no 'assured' source of iodine. They believe they are getting some from milk, yogurt, liver, possibly seafood which many people on here may not follow due to quality, heavy metals, price, not able to find oysters without pufa oil etc, or the price of caviar.

The purpose of the low salt agenda, targeted iodine and completely destroyed the belief that one needs iodine. Iodine is more important than salt rather. There is no thyroid recycling/retention system like there is with salt.

Nose to Tail eating will suffice in iodine, as the minerals travel up the ecosystem and also deposit in various tissues
{ Extra-thyroidal iodine exists in several other organs, including the mammary glands, eyes, gastric mucosa, cervix, cerebrospinal fluid, arterial walls, ovary and salivary glands . In the cells of these tissues the iodide ion (I−) enters directly by the sodium-iodide symporter (NIS). }

Also mineral rich aquifers. This addresses the healthiest cultures we have seen to date. French/German/Slavic/Russian/Japanese/ Certain Asian cultures.

If you are taking thyroid hormones, and wondering what's going on, and you are not assuring a source of iodine, then it really is one step forward, 2 steps backwards.

Remember we also have no insulation mechanisms, I can only imagine how much seaweed broth/stews/organs were eaten by the innuit/eskimos to assure higher body temperatures.

Jam

No. By the time the "iodized" salt reaches your plate, there is very little iodine left. I supplement Lugol's.

OP
J

james2388

No. By the time the "iodized" salt reaches your plate, there is very little iodine left. I supplement Lugol's.

Are you inferring that oxidation happens and releases the iodine as a halogen? I'm not sure exactly what process you are referring to. Or are you refferring to some disruption of absorption with its' attachment to potassium chloride? Can you help me out? I feel this is an extremely underserved topic on here with peat's recommendations of Morton's canning salt, recommending thyroid hormones, but being overtly cautious with iodine actually causing hypothyroidism, which I believe is completely in-accurate. Cultures have consumed double to triple the amount from nose to tail eating, while modern diets greatly suffer in iodine accessibility.

This is the salt I use. 45%rda per 1.5 gram dose.
Hain Pure Foods Iodized Sea Salt 21 oz Salt - Swanson Health Products

Frankdee20

I do one drop of Lugols every 2-3 days so that’s like 4 MG per week

Jam

Are you inferring that oxidation happens and releases the iodine as a halogen? I'm not sure exactly what process you are referring to. Or are you refferring to some disruption of absorption with its' attachment to potassium chloride? Can you help me out? I feel this is an extremely underserved topic on here with peat's recommendations of Morton's canning salt, recommending thyroid hormones, but being overtly cautious with iodine actually causing hypothyroidism, which I believe is completely in-accurate. Cultures have consumed double to triple the amount from nose to tail eating, while modern diets greatly suffer in iodine accessibility.

Iodine loss mechanism seems similar in both cases. However iodine loss is greater in the presence of H202. After the salt was stored at room temperature with a relative humidity of 30%-45% and in sealed paper bags for three years, 58.5% of iodine content lost in approximately 3.5 years.

Obviously, once the package is opened, the rate of loss rises exponentially. Iodine (and to a lesser extent, iodide) is highly volatile.

LeeLemonoil

I take a ready-made tincture from the pharmacy that is used for topical Desinfektion of wounds.

It’s 60% Ethanol and roughly 2.5% each of iodine and potassium iodide. So basically a 2% Lugols but in alcohol

Inaut

I’ve been painting my feet lately. One or two drops of 10% daily.

Should probably start doing this once per week instead

I take a ready-made tincture from the pharmacy that is used for topical Desinfektion of wounds.

It’s 60% Ethanol and roughly 2.5% each of iodine and potassium iodide. So basically a 2% Lugols but in alcohol

Can you share the name of the product?

ursidae

That likely mean you need it, and it is doing its job well.
The thing is it’s leaving pitted atrophic scarring. Can’t do those experiments if they’re leaving holes in my cheeks. Cranberry juice contains it as well and my face didn’t react so badly

BearWithMe

The thing is it’s leaving pitted atrophic scarring. Can’t do those experiments if they’re leaving holes in my cheeks. Cranberry juice contains it as well and my face didn’t react so badly
Damn, I'm sorry to hear that :( That's understandandable, no experiment is worth permanent damage, obviously.

Just make sure you use the information this gave you, both the fact that iodine caused acne and the fact it doesn't properly heal offers good insight into your health.

Ras

It is absolutely, without a doubt, impossible to become iodine replete using only iodized salt.

Just bought some Lugol's online. When it arrives( probably a week or two from now due to christmas and new year), I'll try it out and report what happens. I'm trying a low salt approach for now to see what it does for my bloating, therefore I need a source of iodine that isn't table salt.

Just bought some Lugol's online. When it arrives( probably a week or two from now due to christmas and new year), I'll try it out and report what happens. I'm trying a low salt approach for now to see what it does for my bloating, therefore I need a source of iodine that isn't table salt.

taper your salt intake slowly down, -25% every 6 days, until you are under 3g/day or at ~1400mg of sodium from all sources, and chloride where ever it falls without supplementation of table salt; for maximum effect, you would have to hold this level for several months, it takes some time to excrete an excess and calm the immune system/restore self-tolerance. And iodine indeed is important, maybe between 300µg-600µg per day.

taper your salt intake slowly down, -25% every 6 days, until you are under 3g/day or at ~1400mg of sodium from all sources, and chloride where ever it falls without supplementation of table salt; for maximum effect, you would have to hold this level for several months, it takes some time to excrete an excess and calm the immune system/restore self-tolerance. And iodine indeed is important, maybe between 300µg-600µg per day.
I'm certainly lowering my salt too fast. Gonna slow it down.Thanks for the tips, Tristan! Very helpful.

I'm certainly lowering my salt too fast. Gonna slow it down.Thanks for the tips, Tristan! Very helpful.

Thank you for the kind words, it's my pleasure. If you can, measure your bloodpressure, it would be interesting to see possible changes.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals