IODIDE - not - IODINE cure for many diseases? (With Ray qoutes)

burtlancast

Naturopathic doctors from the beginning of the 20th century knew iodine cleans the blood from heavy metals like mercury, lead, etc

It also a champion for removing fluoride, especially from the pinneal gland, since it's recently been shown the pinneal is actually the organ that accumulates the most fluoride.

So it's extremely important in countries that fluoridate their waters...

Jam

Did you mean 150 mcg? My experience with supplemental iodine at 2mg per day was very bad and caused hypothyroidism I still haven’t recovered from years later. It’s puzzling how varied experiences with iodine are. A panacea for some, a disaster for others.
Nope, 150mg (3 drops of SSKI) of pure KI in distilled water. What kind of supplement did you use?

Jam

Any research/information which could confirm your statement?
It's quite simple. Around the same time that Ancel Keys was pushing the fraudulent Seven Countries study vilifying saturated fat and espousing the virtues of PUFA, iodine was deemed a threat to the nascent pharmaceutical industry:

"Basically, Wolff and Chaikoff (Wolff J, Chaikoff IL "Plasma inorganic iodide as a homeostatic regulator of thyroid function", J.Biol Chem, 1948) destroyed the previously widespread and largely successful thyroid disease therapies based on iodine supplementation (*) by claiming that the excess iodine blocks thyroid hormone production. However, what their study did actually measure was the effect of stopped absorption of radioactive iodine in to iodine-saturated rat's thyroid tissue. They did not measure thyroid hormones production! Furtheromre, they used unrealistically high iodine tissue dosage, corresponding to an oral intake of 50 grams of Iodine a day (if it were done for humans). This one study has became the basis of discontinuation of the time-proven previous iodine supplementation therapies in favor of treating thyroid disorders with thyroid hormonal supplements or with surgery."

More info:

"A new syndrome, medical iodophobia, was recently reported (4). Medicoiodophobes suffer from: A) Split personality which results in iodophobia within the orthoiodosupplementation range previously used safely and successfully in medical practice and iodophylia for megadoses of iodide (up to 12gm/day). B) Double standards, which render those physicians intolerant to the minor side effects of the inorganic forms and extremely tolerant toward severe side effects of the radioactive and organic forms. C) Amnesia toward the inorganic nonradioactive forms when making therapeutic decisions. D) Confusion, attributing the severe side effects of organic iodine containing drugs to inorganic iodine/iodide. E) Altered state of consciousness, allowing doublethink, doublespeak and contradictory logic to become acceptable. "

Last edited:

Nebula

Nope, 150mg (3 drops of SSKI) of pure KI in distilled water. What kind of supplement did you use?
Kelp powder and also tried Lugol’s. Have you had your thyroid and hormone levels tested on that long term dose of SSKI?

Cloudhands

@Hans i saw you speaking about potassium iodide in the past, (in combination with red light and methylene blue), do you have any concerns with iodide supplementation based on any continued research?

Jam

I'd like to make it clear that 1) I do not view iodine/iodide as a nutritional supplement. I view it as a medicine. 2) I do not recommend anyone with a known thyroid issue to use iodine without the supervision of a doctor who knows what they're doing. 3) Having adequate selenium in the diet or through supplementation is essential.

Nebula

I'd like to make it clear that 1) I do not view iodine/iodide as a nutritional supplement. I view it as a medicine. 2) I do not recommend anyone with a known thyroid issue to use iodine without the supervision of a doctor who knows what they're doing. 3) Having adequate selenium in the diet or through supplementation is essential.
What do you view as the medicinal purpose of megadosing iodide everyday? This dose is usually used to shrink the thyroid gland before being surgically removed. Why do you think it doesn’t have that effect on you?

L

LauriePartridge

Great thread. You can't make thyroid hormones without the presence of iodine so it is really critical. You have to really know what you are doing when using or not using iodine/iodide. The biggest mistake I made was thinking iodine was bad for thyroid so I made sure I had very little in my diet and I became so so sick. My body temps were reduced to 95 degrees F and major hypo symptoms. I eventually felt terrific on 500 - 1000 mcgs a day and my TSH dropped below a 1. I mostly got it through seaweed but you have to do your research on various types and their iodine content before deciding what to use.

Also, don't assume you get iodine through dairy unless you know for sure the cleaning treatments used in farming practices and whether they supplement their cows with iodine in their feed. Grass-fed dairy tends to be much lower. Seafood seems to be a more reliable way to get iodine.

But I will supplement with potassium iodide at least the RDA if I feel uncertain about my daily intake. If it makes me feel warm, I know I'm on the right track.

Jam

What do you view as the medicinal purpose of megadosing iodide everyday? This dose is usually used to shrink the thyroid gland before being surgically removed. Why do you think it doesn’t have that effect on you?
The prescription of KI before thyroidectomy is a farce. The reason given, "to make patients euthyroid before thyroidectomy", shows just how damaging iodophobia has become. In essence, at the very moment the thyroid begins to heal, it is extirpated.

Jam

What do you view as the medicinal purpose of megadosing iodide everyday?
I have explained this numerous times already. In cases where chronic infection and inflammation are present (periodontal disease, in my case), pharmacological dosages of iodide (in order to reach and maintain whole-body saturation) induces myeloperoxidase to produce hypoiodous acid (instead of hypochlorous acid). This greatly reduces host tissue destruction and is one of the mechanisms behind the potent anti-inflammatory effects of iodine.

Vesi

I take an iodide formula that is made from:

1 lemon
2 oz apple cider vinegar
1 heaping tsp camu camu
4-6 drops of Lugol’s Solution (2%)
water
orange juice
1 tsp sodium bicarbonate
1/2 tsp potassium bicarbonate

I use this amount to make 3 portions which I drink in the morning and at two other times in the day. Sometimes I add limonene, meth blue, and/or some magnesium chloride flakes.

Bill, from EarthClinic.com writes:
“If you want a cheap and cheerful way to orally supplement DHA then, as Ted from Bangkok recommends, all you need is Lugol’s iodine, Baking Soda (Arm & Hammer is fine to use), Ascorbic acid, and a glass of water. First add 1/4 tsp of ascorbic acid (1 gram) to the water. Then add 6 drops of LI. You will notice that the iodine in the water turns from brown to clear and that’s because the ascorbic acid is oxidized and converted to DHA while the molecular iodine is reduced to clear iodide. The last thing you add is the baking soda—add this until the fizzing stops. Now you have an oral solution of sodium ascorbate + iodide + DHA in ascorbate form.

"Without getting too technical, when you mix together Lugol’s iodine and ascorbic acid with water in a glass and then add sodium bicarbonate until the fizzing stops, the molecular iodine component of lugols is converted to sodium iodide and the ascorbic acid is converted to dehydro-ascorbic acid (DHA). Put simply, the ascorbic acid is oxidized to DHA by molecular iodine and the molecular iodine is reduced to sodium iodide during the reaction. You can see this happening in the glass because the brown color of the molecular iodine in Lugol's slowly turns colorless (iodide is colorless).
"Iodide is extremely useful to the body—very beneficial to the thyroid and it is essential to the immune system.
"The dehydro-ascorbic acid (DHA) has exactly the same properties as ordinary ascorbic acid except except for one difference—DHA is able to penetrate the blood/brain barrier whereas ordinary ascorbic acid cannot. Normally ascorbic acid is dependent upon and converted to DHA by glutathione in your body. So taking ascorbic acid with Lugol’s iodine like this also helps to save the glutathione stores in your body for more essential tasks.
“This is okay if you are taking this solution for thyroid problems or for general health because most organs, mucus glands and endocrine system can uptake both the iodide and iodine forms, but if you are taking Lugol's specifically for a breast problem like fibrocystic disease or for uterine fibroids or BV for example, the iodide form will not be of much use because the breasts, cervix and prostate all uptake the iodine form only. Also, iodine is the component that is truly anti-microbial, so if you are taking Lugol's against intestinal candida, better to take drops of Lugol's on its own in a glass of water (containing both iodide and iodine).

How much DHA is created with 1mg of iodine from Lugol's iodine?

yerrag

I have explained this numerous times already. In cases where chronic infection and inflammation are present (periodontal disease, in my case), pharmacological dosages of iodide (in order to reach and maintain whole-body saturation) induces myeloperoxidase to produce hypoiodous acid (instead of hypochlorous acid). This greatly reduces host tissue destruction and is one of the mechanisms behind the potent anti-inflammatory effects of iodine.
Since you have stated that you have taken daily dosages ranging from `150mg to 1g of iodide in the form of SSKI in the past with no adverse consequences, I'm considering gradually increasing my dosage from the daily 150mg to 300mg to 450mg to 600mg,

Since iodide is anti-bacterial especially against periodontal bacteria, it may in itself bear the load of killing bacteria without the involvement of the immune system, while at the same time its creation of more HOI- instead of HOCl- ROS species with the MPO system of neutrophils may lead to less spillover ROS and less oxidative stress. I can probably compare its effects through collection of nightly graphs of spO2 drops vs time, and if the effects are real, I would see lower and lower spO2 drops as I increase the dosage of iodide.

And if there is less oxidative stress from reduced phagocytic activity (because of lower bacterial load mainly from antibacterial activity from increased iodide intake), I would also be able to note the salutary effects in the form of less urine production at night (even to the point of having straight unbroken sleep due to having no urine to unload, which would have been produced by the redox activity of oxidative stress being neutralized by antioxidants). Zero nighttime urination activity would confirm that the bacterial load has been successfully reduced by the iodine intake.

Apart from the two metrics I mentioned, spO2 drops and urine production, I can also note improvements in the reduction of blood pressure, which would indicate that less albumin is being used to neutralize the spillover ROS of heavy neutrophilic phagocytic activity. With less albumin being oxidized and urinated and lost, more albumin can be conserved and allowed to build up in my blood, enabling my blood volume to increase. With the increase in blood volume, a corresponding decrease in blood pressure would result - as less pressure is needed to provide for adequate perfusion of my body tissues and organs, as adequate blood volume makes increased blood pressure unnecessary.

What do you think of this plan?

Jam

Since you have stated that you have taken daily dosages ranging from `150mg to 1g of iodide in the form of SSKI in the past with no adverse consequences, I'm considering gradually increasing my dosage from the daily 150mg to 300mg to 450mg to 600mg,

Since iodide is anti-bacterial especially against periodontal bacteria, it may in itself bear the load of killing bacteria without the involvement of the immune system, while at the same time its creation of more HOI- instead of HOCl- ROS species with the MPO system of neutrophils may lead to less spillover ROS and less oxidative stress. I can probably compare its effects through collection of nightly graphs of spO2 drops vs time, and if the effects are real, I would see lower and lower spO2 drops as I increase the dosage of iodide.

And if there is less oxidative stress from reduced phagocytic activity (because of lower bacterial load mainly from antibacterial activity from increased iodide intake), I would also be able to note the salutary effects in the form of less urine production at night (even to the point of having straight unbroken sleep due to having no urine to unload, which would have been produced by the redox activity of oxidative stress being neutralized by antioxidants). Zero nighttime urination activity would confirm that the bacterial load has been successfully reduced by the iodine intake.

Apart from the two metrics I mentioned, spO2 drops and urine production, I can also note improvements in the reduction of blood pressure, which would indicate that less albumin is being used to neutralize the spillover ROS of heavy neutrophilic phagocytic activity. With less albumin being oxidized and urinated and lost, more albumin can be conserved and allowed to build up in my blood, enabling my blood volume to increase. With the increase in blood volume, a corresponding decrease in blood pressure would result - as less pressure is needed to provide for adequate perfusion of my body tissues and organs, as adequate blood volume makes increased blood pressure unnecessary.

What do you think of this plan?
It is exactly the plan that I would suggest to my brother, or mother, were they to suffer from a similar predicament. If you did not suffer adverse events from 150mg, it means you are among the 99% of the population who can take gram-sized dosages without negative consequences. In those with current or past thyroid trouble, such as clinical hypo- or hyper-thyroidism, Grave's, etc., care must taken.

I have had almost every single person of my extended family on SSKI and/or Lugol's for the females, including mother, aunt, cousin, wife, and all have seen only benefits, validated by blood testing. It is almost always the case, as can also be gleaned from the literature, that TSH inevitably shoots up during the first few weeks, but it always drops back down to baseline, or lower.

For the record, I consider pharmacological dosages of up to a gram to be safer than aspirin.

Last edited:

Jam

It is exactly the plan that I would suggest to my brother, or mother, were they to suffer from a similar predicament. If you did not suffer adverse events from 150mg, it means you are among the 99% of the population who can take gram-sized dosages without negative consequences. In those with current or past thyroid trouble, such as clinical hypo- or hyper-thyroidism, Grave's, etc., care must taken.

I have had almost every single person of my extended family on SSKI and/or Lugol's for the females, including mother, aunt, cousin, wife, and all have seen only benefits, validated by blood testing. It is almost always the case, as can also be gleaned from the literature, that TSH inevitably shoots up during the first few weeks, but it always drops back down to baseline, or lower.

For the record, I consider pharmacological dosages of up to a gram to be safer than aspirin.
But hey, and this isn't directed @yerrag, please don't take medical advice from strangers, including doctors. I'm just that crazy iodine guy. Do your own research before ingesting any substance.

Jam

Dave Clark

A bit technical, but well-written article on how myeloperoxidase/hypoiodous acid works against fungi.
So, what exactly is this CID5920 mentioned at the end of the article, is it code for something we already know about? Never heard of it, neither has Google.

Jam

So, what exactly is this CID5920 mentioned at the end of the article, is it code for something we already know about? Never heard of it, neither has Google.
No idea, sounds like some marketing gimmick.

Jam

No idea, sounds like some marketing gimmick.

Jstar

How much DHA is created with 1mg of iodine from Lugol's iodine?
Not sure. The amount of DHA produced is dependent on the amount of vitamin c used and the amount of Lugol’s solution. Will see if I can get any exact figures.

Jam

Liothyronine Sodium = Cytomel.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals