Intuitive eating (Whole foods)

ursidae

What are some reasons that eating whole unprocessed foods according to craving would backfire? To simplify this I would exclude the whole foods that contain exorphins such as milk.

Vileplume

A lot of them are hard on the gut (like green leafies, unripe fruit), contain PUFA (like beans, nuts, seeds), or contain other toxic substances (seeds, grains).

OP
U

ursidae

Yeah I understand but what I’m wondering is why the body would crave something that’s toxic for it or something the digestive system cannot handle. Lately I’ve been craving oats very much and I find that I don’t digest them well at the moment and they give me pains in the small intestine. This is a repeating pattern with me, craving things badly and getting skin issues or digestive issues from them. I also get a craving for macadamias from time to time and I can see they’re not being digested at all in my stool and if I eat as many as I crave I get pains. Meanwhile more often than not if I eat whole foods that repulse me or that I find bland and have to force myself they’re not problematic for my body

Vileplume

Yeah I understand but what I’m wondering is why the body would crave something that’s toxic for it or something the digestive system cannot handle. Lately I’ve been craving oats very much and I find that I don’t digest them well at the moment and they give me pains in the small intestine. This is a repeating pattern with me, craving things badly and getting skin issues or digestive issues from them. I also get a craving for macadamias from time to time and I can see they’re not being digested at all in my stool and if I eat as many as I crave I get pains. Meanwhile more often than not if I eat whole foods that repulse me or that I find bland and have to force myself they’re not problematic for my body
Maybe there is something in that food that your body wants, like a nutrient or texture that might be soothing to the gut, but unfortunately that nutrient or texture is mixed with other toxic things that your body's intuitive signals aren't complex enough to parse out. So the negative outweighs the positive when you eat those. What is an example of a bland food that isn't problematic for you?

OP
U

ursidae

Your explanation makes sense. Thanks

Cooked zucchini -bland, cod -bland, rice- bland and unappetising, apples and pears (too sweet), cocoa butter-bland and doesn’t feel like real fat, white and orange pumpkin (repulsive), squash- unappetising. Potatoes I’m tired of them and they’re only acceptable when mashed, sweet potatoes- only the murasaki variety tastes good (not available), the rest are repulsive, I’m pretty sure lean chicken and turkey will be fine but I don’t like them enough to experiment with them

Perry Staltic

what I’m wondering is why the body would crave something that’s toxic

You can find "toxicity" in anything. The poison is the dose. Balance is what's essential. Not everything that has some perceived toxicity should be avoided because of the other healthful benefits they contain. A healthy body is able to deal with toxins as long as they don't become too much.

As an example, the body needs fiber because the colon needs butyrate to function properly. Butyrate feeds colonocytes and goblet cells (secrete mucous), and promotes tight junction proteins and mucin (regulates mucosal barrier thickness). Plus it's anti-carcinogenic. I can't imagine a healthy gut without these things functioning correctly; all of these things keep toxins from leaking into the body. But where does butyrate come from? Fermentation of fiber.

Last edited: