Intuitive Decision-making Based On Expertise May Deliver Better Results Than Analytical Approach

jzeno

When should I trust my gut? Linking domain expertise to intuitive decision-making effectiveness

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0749597812000994?via=ihub

Abstract
Despite a growing body of scholarship on the concept of intuition, there is a scarcity of empirical research spotlighting the circumstances in which intuitive decision making is effective relative to analytical decision making. Seeking to address this deficiency, we conducted two laboratory studies assessing the link between domain expertise (low versus high) and intuitive decision-making effectiveness. These studies involved non-decomposable tasks across divergent expertise domains: basketball in Study 1 and designer handbag authentication in Study 2. Across both studies, and consistent with our overarching hypothesis, we found that the effectiveness of intuition relative to analysis is amplified at a high level of domain expertise. Taken together, our results demonstrate the importance of domain expertise in intuitive decision making and carry a number of theoretical and practical implications.

Highlights
► We relate domain expertise to intuitive decision-making effectiveness.
► We compare intuition and analysis on non-decomposable tasks.
► We reveal circumstances in which people should “trust their gut”.

Article on the paper

Trust your gut: Intuitive decision-making based on expertise may deliver better results than analytical approach

somuch4food

I think that's why science on health doesn't make sense anymore.

It is all about analyzing micro information and forgetting to look at the bigger picture or meta analyzing a bunch of studies to find correlations so weak anybody can refute them with another meta analysis that concludes quite the contrary. For example, a study could show that one substance changes one marker and could possibly be a cure for x disease, but they don't try to see what other effects that substance has on the whole body.

The Internet running off on studies also doesn't help. How many shallow articles say that so is good because 1 study said so and then, everybody tries it but it doesn't seem to do much, but they keep doing since a study said it was beneficial so it can't hurt. They end up feeling worse and don't understand why since what they are doing can't be wrong, they are following health advice backed by studies after all.

Xisca

Yes for sure it works like this, but without training it is difficult to use.
Basically, think about people trained in aikido: when they get attacked by surprise, they will defend better than untrained persons, even though everybody will react in the same instinctive way.
So it is right that expertise increases the level of instinctive use, but this expertise needs a practice.
Playing chess is another good example then!

So what is at play there? The ANS of course, and it works like a computer: it just processes all the data you have in you, and does it faster than the analytical brain, and it is also better able to use ALL the information you have inside you, even what your thinking brain would forget.

Lollipop2

Yes for sure it works like this, but without training it is difficult to use.
Basically, think about people trained in aikido: when they get attacked by surprise, they will defend better than untrained persons, even though everybody will react in the same instinctive way.
So it is right that expertise increases the level of instinctive use, but this expertise needs a practice.
Playing chess is another good example then!

So what is at play there? The ANS of course, and it works like a computer: it just processes all the data you have in you, and does it faster than the analytical brain, and it is also better able to use ALL the information you have inside you, even what your thinking brain would forget.
Hey @Xisca you are back! Nice to see you again.

Xisca

Hey @Xisca you are back! Nice to see you again.
Thank you!

I am still not peating, as it was partly responsible for my crash, by depleting B1.
When people cannot handle carbs and need a paleo or carnivore or keto diet, well suggest B1, but not just B1, I was told this here a long time ago.... We might need super high doses, like 1000x more than RDA! No need to ask how much but that's in 100s of mgs anyway. I increased it until I got energy, as the result is felt from one day to the next.
Yesterday I tried to reduce in the afternoon, to sleep better, and this morning at 10am I am still sluguish... So the change is immidiate as well. If this is not said, Peat's way will damage all those who once had a B1 defeciency, even if they don't have it anymore, because the metabolism will not start again unless given super high doses during months.
My original reason for not standing carbs since childhood was molds, or maybe let's say mycotoxins. But it is far from the only reason, as it can be transmitted from the mother, be caused by high carbs or alcohol, or by a virus or by Lyme...

Xisca

Quite frustrating the poster forgot to say to not click unless you want to BUY the article...

And of course none of the article mentions that analytical comes from the neo-cortex while intuitions are not magical, they just use the brainstem and the autonomic nerves!

It works like chess, you need experience and let the very fast brainstem organize the thinking. A lot of people who believe they use their guts just use other parts of the ANS, in general a sort of dissociation with magical belief... or fear etc.

So you need not only experience, but to be told ALL the parameters you need to know in order to take a decision. If you miss one, it is like in a computer: the result coming out will not be the right one. This can be a real problem in a team, when people who are not responsible for decisions do not understand that they have to offer all what they know about the context etc, even if they do not decide. Keeping informations should be considered as a very big professional mistake.

Last edited:

Lollipop2

Thank you!

I am still not peating, as it was partly responsible for my crash, by depleting B1.
When people cannot handle carbs and need a paleo or carnivore or keto diet, well suggest B1, but not just B1, I was told this here a long time ago.... We might need super high doses, like 1000x more than RDA! No need to ask how much but that's in 100s of mgs anyway. I increased it until I got energy, as the result is felt from one day to the next.
Yesterday I tried to reduce in the afternoon, to sleep better, and this morning at 10am I am still sluguish... So the change is immidiate as well. If this is not said, Peat's way will damage all those who once had a B1 defeciency, even if they don't have it anymore, because the metabolism will not start again unless given super high doses during months.
My original reason for not standing carbs since childhood was molds, or maybe let's say mycotoxins. But it is far from the only reason, as it can be transmitted from the mother, be caused by high carbs or alcohol, or by a virus or by Lyme...
Good for you and I am glad you are figuring out what works for you! You don’t have to eat like everyone to be on this forum and contribute. Nice to see you ❤️

Xisca

Good for you and I am glad you are figuring out what works for you! You don’t have to eat like everyone to be on this forum and contribute. Nice to see you ❤️
Thank you, I know I am not the only one, but as I first was suggested B1 on this forum, I hope now it is known that it is very important to take mega dosis of B1 when glycemia increases with carbs. I quited when I reached 104, as I was about to to into the pre-diabetic range!
And in the end, it can be very easy to solve with thiamin, as long as we ramp up slowly and take the necessary in case of segundary effect (it depletes a lot by just making the body works normally! )

Xisca

BTW.... for this post... the pure analytical method is too hard with so many parameters, but intuition as said in this article is not enough, precisely because we lack the parameters! but at least, intuition can help us use better the ones we already have learned... So I am in favor of BOTH analytical and intuitive, but maybe not at the same time...
It is quite easy to think we use intuition while just using ...chance.

So I have developped self-testing, to know if my body want a supp or not, at a present time. It is from kinesiology and I just put the stuff I test at my plexus and my body goes towards it (miam...) or backward (lol like yuhk!). i sigh as a reset if I retest. Sighing is a parasympathetic inducing action.

Lollipop2

So I have developped self-testing, to know if my body want a supp or not, at a present time. It is from kinesiology and I just put the stuff I test at my plexus and my body goes towards it (miam...) or backward (lol like yuhk!). i sigh as a reset if I retest. Sighing is a parasympathetic inducing action.
Love this! I do this as well. Sometimes I test at the heart center and at the solar plexus center. Heart is if it is in resonance with your body; solar plexus is if your body can absorb it.

Xisca

Love this! I do this as well. Sometimes I test at the heart center and at the solar plexus center. Heart is if it is in resonance with your body; solar plexus is if your body can absorb it.
Ok, I will try to see the difference! But don't you think it is only a matter of convention between your body and your thinking mind?
My real need is to not only test what I need NOW, as it can be a no and a yes 1 hour later.... I would need something telling me if this is globally and generally useful for me, and the heart center could be good for this.
Can you test something that is inside a bag without opening it for example? Or can you test cooked rice by using raw rice? Can you test an avocado without an answer including the pit or do you have to remove it?

Lollipop2

Ok, I will try to see the difference! But don't you think it is only a matter of convention between your body and your thinking mind?
My real need is to not only test what I need NOW, as it can be a no and a yes 1 hour later.... I would need something telling me if this is globally and generally useful for me, and the heart center could be good for this.
Can you test something that is inside a bag without opening it for example? Or can you test cooked rice by using raw rice? Can you test an avocado without an answer including the pit or do you have to remove it?
You can test all those cases - no need to remove any packaging, raw rice fine, full avocado fine. If you prefer removing and feel more accurate, then do so. I do not as I understand it is the subtle energy of the substance being tested.