Introduction And Questions

Jez

Hi everyone,
I have been a member of the forums for a number of months but my wife and I have been implementing ray peats ideas with the help of Danny & Haidut’s podcast episodes. We came from your typical paleo low carb, fat as fuel crowd but with hi intensity training sort of similar to @haidut. What we are hoping to do is utilise science and the broad knowledge of forum users to fix ourselves and in the process assist others through our personal experiments, trials, failures and successes.

Our goal is to not only reach an optimum health but obtain a certain level of leanness and return to functional strength and conditioning in a smart way (yet to be determined J)

Firstly I am hoping to get some help with a few questions and I’m confident all you good folk can assist. Thanks very kindly for your help. I do lack any formal scientific training so am just trying to make sense of it all and grow my knowledge in this area whilst fixing my wife and myself.

Is the following blood test list is complete or would any not need to be done etc? I have combed through the forums for these and also got some advice from learned friends but am hoping to finalise a list.

TSH, TFTH, LFT FBC Reverse T3, Whole blood serotonin (plasma serotonin is also good if they don't have whole blood), Estrone sulfate (E1S) or Estrone (E1) if unavailable, Vit D, DHEA, Progesterone

Estrogen, Testosterone, Prolactin, Parathyroid, CO2, Lactic Acid, Free fatty acids (NEFA), Histamine, Albumin, Total Cholesterol, C-Reactive Protein (inflammation marker), Sodium, Magnesium, Calcium
Potassium, Glucose, Phosphate.

What is the best magnesium type? Chelate, citrate etc

We currently take the following:
Vit K2 – 2 drops on the tongue and 2 on the liver
Vit E – 2 x 400ui capsules
Vit B Complex – Now superfoods brand – Will commence just B3 as well as only 100mcg in complex.
Magnesium citrate – half level tsp
Egg shell calcium – 1 tsp
Solprin dispersible aspirin – 1 x 300mg tab – has sucralose is this an issue?
Vit A – 25,000ui
Pregnenolone – 50-100mg per day

We get plenty of daily sun all year round over 2 hours all year round more on days off etc.
My wife also takes 3 grains Thyroid S NDT and I take 5-10 drops 5-10mg of DHEA dissolved in DMSO

I did a run on Cypro at 4mg tab in quarters across the day prior to doing bloods which I’m not sure is good or not. We would like to try MB for liver and apparently to help shift out of the cycle of fat for fuel – hopefully @haidut can chime in here if it is needed? I would also like to try Haiduts candida destruction post about aspirin, MB & cypro in tandem as an effective fungicidal as I get a rash on my face that only goes away following application of ant fungal cream – so at a guess I have overgrowth? But not sure.

Diet is as follows:
Limited muscle meat if we do have it will be grass fed mince and we have gelatin with it
we are trying to limit this further in favour of more digestible foods.
Skim milk in abundance
Coffee - lots 5-6 cups a day with sugar
Raw carrot 30 min prior to brekky and lunch
Eggs
Cook in coconut oil
Great lakes gelatin
Fruit: Citrus/papaya/bananas/apples/pears/blueberries occasionally/pineapple/mango/all types of melon
OJ without pulp
Grass fed WPI but will look at casein when gone as I've read this is better for lower tryptophan?

We are low fat currently and looking to push PUFA out of our cells etc. as is suggested in haidut's post but following this will implement back some cheese.

We do still have some starch cooked pumpkin/squash, Zucchini and white potato but have heard recently we should take out these starches to fix digestion? We will also try the potato juice cold press scramble for the keto acids shortly.

Thanks for reading everyone, I look forward to finding health with you all.

Cheers

Dopamine

Welcome!

Your diet looks extremely high in liquids and low in solid foods which can be problematic... if you get lots of sun, exercise, take thyroid, you can handle more liquid but its something to keep an eye on. If your hands and feet are cold or you have low/weak pulse then this is the first thing I would change. I wouldn't go low fat and/or eliminate starch because I know I wouldn't be able to get near enough calories but maybe that's just me...

I would not drink that much liquid.
I would not go low fat.
I would not eliminate starch.
I would not switch muscle meat for gelatin or casein though these are great supplements.
Eat steamed broccoli/fruit/coffee for magnesium... save yourself some money.
Switch some milk for cheese.
How much salt are you getting?

The sucralose in your aspirin isn't a big deal don't worry about it.

It seems like you are making a lot of positive changes I would just be careful about searching for the perfect diet while losing sight of utility... been there done that.

OP
J

Jez

Awesome thanks @Dopaminergic096 for the reply, I'll add these things in. Thanks for the advice. Originally before finding the Peat style of eating, I have my naturopath to thank for that, I commenced on 1 grain of thyroid S as well and currently take 2 grains a day. With the muscle meat we do still eat a lot of it - I'm 5'10 198# and hit around 2600-2800 cals per day - currently having a rest from training but will start strength 3-5 days per week based on how I feel doing the usual Squat/Bench/Press/DL/PC/PS and accessories. Good idea on the magnesium I have a few bottles of citrate in the cupboard I found so will definitely increase sources from foods when they are gone instead. Cheers mate all the best!

I came from a ridiculously high fat diet 150g+ per day sometimes so how low is low? I'm going between 30-50g currently well trying to lol

M

marikay

Hi.

You might be taking too much vitamin e.

If you are going to continue with muscle meats, you may want to take more calcium.

Even steamed, broccoli can suppress you thyroid. So see if you can get the magnesium from Epsom salt baths or the mag/carbonate drink listed on this forum.

I agree that you don't need to go low fat, but make sure you go very low PUFA.

Good Luck.

OP
J

Jez

Ok thanks @marikay we are doing low pufa and will check out the mag drink you mentioned. Cheers

tara

Welcome Jez,

Are yous monitoring body temps and resting pulse ans a way to assess metabolism and changes in it? I think it could be useful to add some more objective measures.
If you get to doing more physical training, you may well need to eat more.

Eat steamed broccoli/fruit/coffee for magnesium... save yourself some money.
You mean these are cheaper forms of Mg than powders/supplements where you are?

Peat has recommended broth from well-cooked leafy greens as a good source of Mg.

mag/carbonate drink listed on this forum
Are you thinking of the magnesium bicarbonate drink made from milk of magnesia/Mg hydroxide and soda water?
Peat has also said Mg carbonate can sometimes be a useful supplement, but it's not very soluble (I'm using this at the moment).
Mg glycinate may be good (but some of what's sold probably isn't pure Mg glycinate).
Topical Mg sulpate (eg epsom salt bath), Mg chloride may be good, but some of us find they irritate the skin in high concentration. (I use these, but only on robust skin, diluted, and not every day.)

I don't think Peat favours Mg citrate (citrate part has issues).

Have you seen Dan Wich's toxinless.com site for supplement info?

I would also like to try Haiduts candida destruction post about aspirin, MB & cypro in tandem as an effective fungicidal as I get a rash on my face that only goes away following application of ant fungal cream – so at a guess I have overgrowth?
You could try the aspirin straight on the skin. (Not the MB though unless you are happy to explain the blue face. :) ) I would not assume the skin fungi mean high intestinal or systemic fungi.

M

marikay

@tara yes I am referring to the magnesium bicarbonate drink with Milk of Magnesia. But I think the Epsom salt baths are the best. :)

DaveFoster

I can't tolerate vegetables, but I don't know about you. Calcium carbonate, magnesium carbonate, copper glycinate, and zinc glycinate are fine sources.

Salt is incredibly important, as is reducing liquids.

tara

But I think the Epsom salt baths are the best. :)
Your not the only one. I'm hoping one day I can tolerate baths again. :)

OP
J

Jez

Hi @tara, thanks for your input, yes I track my temps and pulse. I usually only just hit 36c - 36.6c etc and throughout the day/after eating and am lucky to get a 36c on waking. My pulse is resting at 70bpm or so. Any idea how I can get these up as I'm eating lots etc as above and 2 grains NDT should I go to a 3rd NDT?

tara

as I'm eating lots etc as above and 2 grains NDT should I go to a 3rd NDT
It doesn't look to me as though you are eating particularly much. If 2700 cals looks like a lot, does that mean you've had an extended period of eating much less than this? Normal for a full-grown male probably varies a bit, but AFAIK (based on reading youreatopia) it's probably around 3000, unless you are extra active (more during late teens/early twenties). Are you eating to appetite consistently? It can be hard if most of the carbs are coming in as liquid.

How long did you take to increase to 2 grains of NDT? Did you track temps during this increase so you could see the effects? I don't have any experience with that brand, don't know how strong it is. But generally, I would recommend increasing by 1/4 -1/2 grain only after 2-3 weeks if temps data supports this. Overshooting can make the picture more complicated if the body takes measures to oppose it.

Are you dealing with any actual health issues, or more just aiming to optimise for the fitness and future health?

Bear in mind I'm no expert, just read around here quite a bit.

DaveFoster

@DaveFoster @Dopaminergic096 With the salt intake I'd say I have around 3-5 tsp per day in addition to what is already in foods. How many mg should I be going for in a day?
Aim for around 5-10 grams of sodium daily. It's variable depending on the person.

Hypothyroid function needs more, healthy thyroid function requires a smaller amount of sodium.

OP
J

Jez

How long did you take to increase to 2 grains of NDT? Did you track temps during this increase so you could see the effects?

Over the space of 12 months I experimented with cynomel and Thyroid-s gradually going up and tracking temps. The result combined with higher carb as above was in increase of waking temps from 34.4c to 36c so far as well as low energy disappearing naturally.

Are you dealing with any actual health issues, or more just aiming to optimise for the fitness and future health?

I basically hit the wall after doing high intensity / endurance training for long periods with inadequate nutrition or food quantities and had strong fatigue symptoms, fat gain, high cortisol, high reverse t3, low t4/t3, no energy, muscle loss etc. I am slowly fixing my metabolism, liver and digestion with peat principals but basically want to optimise health in order to get back being as active as I was before and with adequate hormone levels to support ageing and muscle growth / leanness etc. as don't really want to carry an excess of adipose/visceral fat around as I age.

Thanks @tara and @DaveFoster I will make sure I get adequate sodium. Cheers