Intermittent Fasting/Ketosis

Kyle Bigman

Basically, I was on a paleo diet for two or three years, and in the final year was in and out of ketosis and doing intermittent fasting – sometimes for quite long periods of time. Meanwhile, I was doing pretty frequent exercise, mostly heavy weight-lifting (like a 3x5 or 5x5 program).

I became interested in my health when my hair began thinning, and I found Danny Roddy and Ray Peat (but not before I had taken finasteride, unfortunately :/).

Basically, right now I feel okay and I am lean. But I am worried that I somehow epigenetically altered my body (see @haidut post on intermittent fasting altering successive generations) to focus on cortisol-estrogen related pathways, or that I have permanently down-regulated my thyroid.

Besides adopting a Ray Peat diet, do you guys have any advice on how to recover? Is there any way to reverse epigenetic changes?

Thanks for any advice.

Travis

This is a good study on finasteride.

Kokate, Tushar G. "Finasteride, a 5α-reductase inhibitor, blocks the anticonvulsant activity of progesterone in mice." Journal of Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics (1999)

Besides being necessary for DHT synthesis, the enzyme 5α-reductase is also responsible for converting progesterone into allopregnanolone. This little known steroid is very important for myelination, and so much so that some scientists think that progesterone's effects derive nearly entirely from it.

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals