Interesting that smoking has been prevalent human activity for thousands of years and now it's so demonised? Good resources for balanced discussion?

I

i_nomad

Regardless of how long smoking tobacco has been around, the fact of the matter is that inhaling smoke particles into your lungs harms your health. There is no way around if you are looking for a way to justify smoking. There is no healthy cigarette. There is no healthy amount of smoke. Smoking was not demonized 400 years ago because no one knew what smoke did to the body. You also had to either be wealthy in order to afford tobacco (tobacco was used as currency) or you have to be a indian shaman. The average person did go around smoking a pack a day. It was time consuming to smoke as well and you didnt just go buy some tobacco and smoke.... You had to prepare it yourself and who has that kind of time when every day is struggle to survive.

Nicotine however, the chemical that you are addicted to does have some health benefits. It is a neuroprotective chemical. It can help with Parkinson's. It is a nootropic. Have noticed that when a smoker needs to contemplate something they grab their cigarettes and head for the door to smoke?

There is no benefit to your health whatsoever with smoke cigarettes. Even vaping is dangerous... Did you know they put ethelyne glycol in the nicotine fluid?
Apparently you didn’t read anything I linked…

One of the original anti smoking studies, the Doll and Hill study, showed that smokers had a slightly higher risk of cancer than the non-smokers. But what was left out, but contained in their own data, was that those who inhaled showed a significant decrease in cancer risk.

Also, the Whitehall study, showed that those who quit smoking didn’t show a decrease in risk from cancers and diseases often associated with smoking… but did show an increase in risk (up to 2x) of certain types of cancer.

Or the fact that none of the top ten smoking countries feature in the top ten lung cancer countries, with one exception being the United States (3rd and 8th, respectively).

Read the stuff I linked. Humans have been breathing in smoke since the discovery of fire.

Herbie

The lung cancer risk can be substantially lowered by taking vitamin e, the gamma tocopherol according to Travis.

tankasnowgod

There is no benefit to your health whatsoever with smoke cigarettes.
I'm sure that's total BS. NO benefit WHATSOEVER? Ridiculous. It might be a net negative (especially with most modern cigarettes), but there certainly can be positives. For example-

That's at least one case where the benefits seem to outweigh the risks, and seem far better than other treatments, or no treatments at all.
Even vaping is dangerous... Did you know they put ethelyne glycol in the nicotine fluid?
Sure, in some of the popular fluids. So, just get fluid without ethelyne glycol. Boom, problem solved. This isn't rocket science.

If you can't find a liquid without, you could still make your own.

tankasnowgod

The lung cancer risk can be substantially lowered by taking vitamin e, the gamma tocopherol according to Travis.

ED Weinberg suggested that it was the iron in the tobacco leaves that likely caused the problem, and that a low iron variety would likely be fairly safe to smoke.

Perry Staltic

ED Weinberg suggested that it was the iron in the tobacco leaves that likely caused the problem, and that a low iron variety would likely be fairly safe to smoke.

I doubt that would offset the risk from radon and carcinogenic additives

Perry Staltic

Again… clearly didn’t read my links… filled with sources.

Then you make a claim, without a source.

I'm not going to read the links. It's pretty obvious that peoples' health improves when they go from cooking with fire in an enclosed place to a cleaner energy source that doesn't emit smoke. It doesn't matter how you slice it, smoke isn't healthy.

I

i_nomad

I'm not going to read the links. It's pretty obvious that peoples' health improves when they go from cooking with fire in an enclosed place to a cleaner energy source that doesn't emit smoke. It doesn't matter how you slice it, smoke isn't healthy.
I’m not too worried about it, but it is a little ironic considering your pfp ;)

Perry Staltic

I’m not too worried about it, but it is a little ironic considering your pfp ;)

IMO that's key right there - not worrying about the things we choose to do. Life ain't perfect, so we might as well enjoy ourselves as we see fit. I'll probably experiment with smoking. or at least sniffing, the tobacco I'm growing this year. I grow it for insecticidal purposes.

revenant

The thread on longecity has been deleted but it's still available through wayback machine.

revenant

If you're in the states it's easy to order whole leaf tobacco and grind your own, much better than commercial ready-made stuff.

The thread on longecity has been deleted but it's still available through wayback machine.

the user nightlight (most listed as registered user) is @Travis

GTW

I have some rustica seeds, do you think I can grow them indoors for a few months without limiting their growth?
You probably could. Seeds are viable for years. I have grown several tobacco species indoors. Starting years ago with sylvestris, woodland tobacco, the ancestral tobacco. It seems to kill aphids, protecting other nearby plants.

清貴杉山

i smoke organic tobacco with unbleached papers and activated charcoal filter,im just feeling the benefits so far,been 1 year with it,i still be able to workout,im not getting out of breath,i smoke between 3 to 5 rolled ciggs per day,sometimes less,i feel my voice deeper and in general i feel more confident and assertive with my surroundings,my beard and overall hair growth is better and my oral health is better too,maybe some antibacterial stuff on tobacco makes my mouth clean

You probably could. Seeds are viable for years. I have grown several tobacco species indoors. Starting years ago with sylvestris, woodland tobacco, the ancestral tobacco. It seems to kill aphids, protecting other nearby plants.
Any problems with other insects. I do not want caterpillars or co around

:M :B.

Propylene glycol free snus is nice stuff
What Brand do you speak of? I tried searching and google is sucking. That General Snus brand seems a lot less poisonous than the typical brands but it has Proplene Glycol, the plastic pouch, and some natural and artificial flavors. I seek a pure snus. i also seek to quit! but in the meantime help a brotha out.

RealNeat

Why don't we continue these discussions in the several threads already written on this topic. When someone starts writing a thread there are suggestions on similar threads to choose from, reviving those is preferable imo. More organized brainstorming.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals