Intelligent People More Likely To Suffer From Mental Illness

Dhair

Thank you for the clarity. I saw that his reaction was to shut down and unfortunately your comment came shortly after he literally bared his soul so to speak. Was hard to separate for me and apparently him as well and I wanted to reinforce safety on this platform to remain open. My apologies for the word “immature”. My bad actually. Please forgive.
I should have come up with a more eloquent response, and I was going to ask him more about his experience. I was exhausted when I made the post, so the word choice may not have been wise. As far as the content is concerned, I can only be honest about my intention.

Dhair

I could just as easily have said, "It depresses me that so many people have to deal with mental illness." Would you call me an ***hole then? Because that is more or less just an amalgamation of the two sentences in the post that you were responding to.

I could just as easily have said, "It depresses me that so many people have to deal with mental illness." Would you call me an ***hole then? Because that is more or less just an amalgamation of the two sentences in the post that you were responding to.
It sounded different in the heat of the moment, LOL

Thoushant

A lot of the stuff taught in the society are lies, so if you believe the crap they teach in schools and media and the pretexts the authorities give you are going to have a incoherent and dysfuntional model of the world. And if you are intelligent, you will also notice the the words and actions of most people do not match, and you will notice that pointing that out is a very bad idea. Most people so not like their model of the world questioned, as that feels like an existential threat to people.

That was incoherent, I have not fully fleshed out the idea I'm trying to express here,but I think there is something there.

I understand this part and I agree completely.

Healthy people have a "healthy" lack of awareness towards anger and contempt. In Emotion Recognition, they perform worse in recognizing these emotion in peers. Their dear dairy would be something like "Dear dairy, today I ate Ice cream, and my parents didn't complain, so I'm happy :)"
Higher IQ people perform better in recognizing emotions(family upbringing and whole lot can influnce recognition too. Women perform depending on menstrual cycle,)
When you become older, you perform worse at recognizing EVERY basic emotion, besides disgust and happiness(So it's intersting to ask, are they less aware of their own feelings of those emotions too?)
Neuroticm(perform worse in recognizing happy emotions), anxiety, depression all have enhanced recognition of negative emotions, anger and contempt. This obviously influence the "explaining events" part of their life journey. "Dear diary, today I ate Ice cream, my parents didn't really complain when they saw me, but I saw their look of anger and disappointment, and now I feel guilty and sad :("
Now let that subtle awareness color every aspect of your life.

About the confronting: Yes, I think this is the point you are seeking. let's look at with parents: a lot of social behavior are extrinsic motivated(even parent-offspring relationship), so it's something you don't intentionally mean, but have learnt socially to do. It's not necessarily you agree with the behavior, but you do it because not doing the behavior is socially unaccepted, social judgement is right around the corner.
So then you have this bright kid(who naively is just confused about why you would say something, while obviously have different intentions) and he would confront you, as a parent you obviously deny having unacceptable social behavior(or might genuinely by unaware of the subtle emotions) . This is just feeding the child some very weird conclusions about trust.
When it comes to anger and guilt, it starts to fall in the power dynamics of social hierarchies, being "high IQ" or somehow picking up on anger signals(which healthy wouldn't) put you at risk of feeling guilty, or reacting towards it, ignorance is bliss.

Thoushant

I think there might also be another factor. More intelligent people have more control over their behaviour and can learn behaviours that go against instinct more easily. Higher IQ is correlated with weird sexualities, staying up late, experimenting with drugs etc. All things that the animal part does not like.

Yeah, I think this part goes along with what @Prosper was talking about. High IQ makes you more immune to extrinsic reward temptations from society, so in childhood naivety you assume the same about other people, and the golden rule, well...
I think the extrinsic motivation is what drives modern day virtue signaling, nice guys and White knights, and suddenly "mentally ill" isn't exclusive to high IQ.

PS, I have nothing against IQ scores - in fact - some of my friends are "averagely intelligent". :angelic:

L

lollipop

I should have come up with a more eloquent response, and I was going to ask him more about his experience. I was exhausted when I made the post, so the word choice may not have been wise. As far as the content is concerned, I can only be honest about my intention.
❤️❤️

DaveFoster

I'm going to post these here:

MENTAL-HEALTH-1-300x240.jpg

Reference: Don’t overlook mental health - The Western Journal

mental-health-and%20college%20students_0.png

Reference: Facts | Anxiety and Depression Association of America, ADAA

Sexdrugsstress.jpg

Reference: https://theithacan.org/news/ithaca-college-students-drink-and-smoke-more-than-average/

nida_mtf_marijuinfograph_web_2.jpg

nida_mtf_alcoholinfograph_web.jpg

nida_mtf_stimulantinfograph_web.jpg

Reference: Monitoring the Future 2013 Survey Results: College and Adults

It's interesting to note that the drop in stimulant usage corresponds to a national uptick in anxiety amongst youths receiving counseling.

Reference: Monitoring the Future 2013 Survey Results: College and Adults

johnwester130

high intelligence = high empathy

high empathy = high metabolism and health

high metabolism and health = incompatible with modern society

modern society = low metabolism, aggressive, depressive, tense, learned helplessness

raypeatclips

modern society = low metabolism, aggressive, depressive, tense, learned helplessness

I don't think that is true at all with the high intelligence and empathy bit, far too simplistic. Look at the UK, there is a large number of politicians that have attended Oxford or Cambridge, in comparison to other universities or no degree level education, that are only bothered about their own interests. Many rich intelligent people get there by being ruthless with business tactics and not considering other people.

My own personal anecdote, the smartest guy I personally knew at school (who ended up going to Oxbridge) someone once asked him if he was going to become a doctor when we were about 15, he replied "I don't care about other people that much" he now works for a large banking firm in London. The second smartest at my school is an investment banker and landlord.

Last edited:

Evgenius

high intelligence = high empathy - definitely not true, intelligent people can have very low emotional intelligence (e.g. every nerd or autist)

That's not to say every smart person has low EQ, but they are not connected.

raypeatclips

high intelligence = high empathy - definitely not true, intelligent people can have very low emotional intelligence (e.g. every nerd or autist)

Yeah there are far too many generalisations with that post. Every sentence I disagree with individually to a degree (apart from the last one) let alone as one combined idea.

johnwester130

what is emotional intelligence ?

to be aware of your own emotions and others, and the consequences of what you say, think and do ?

Evgenius

what is emotional intelligence ?

to be aware of your own emotions and others, and the consequences of what you say, think and do ?
There are many definitions, one of them is:
"the capacity to be aware of, control, and express one's emotions, and to handle interpersonal relationships judiciously and empathetically"

J

jb116

I see this a lot, that people confuse empathy with sympathy.
Empathy is emotional awareness and accorded expression.
Sympathy is feeling and feeling for accordingly with others as they feel.

Empathy is, one could argue, an intelligence since it deals with knowing how to properly process information and react: whether that's expected from yourself or others.
Sympathy is, one could argue, more of a visceral response. A reaction based on interaction with others, not necessarily reflective or a total conscious act.

The two can blur together in how we perceive and/or define them.

lampofred

Well yeah it is deadly, that's why I said this is not a positive study. Also I've seen things that make me believe that upregulated D2 high is not a good thing. But the mechanism of action behind meditation is likely something similar to stimulus deprivation. Excess stimulus downregulates dopamine receptors, take away the stimulus and the dopamine receptors will resensitize.

Why is upregulated d2 high a bad thing? I thought the "high" variant is the functionally relevant one?

nwo2012

Numerous theories aside, i do know that once you are truly awake to the reality of how the world really is and the intentions of the ruling class, it takes a LOT of meditation, relaxation and puting life into perspective to not be depressed. Also constant effort to not view the average sheeple with a sense of disgust, hate and pity as to how blind they are to reality. But fortunately one can come through the other side with a sense of relief and happiness, to know that the real world is fake and at least feel empowered about ones health.
Being Peaty is only a small part of the jig-saw but a very important part nonetheless.

Collden

I think hypothyroidism correlates with neuroticism and a tendency to second-guess ones beliefs and decisions. These characteristics seem to be confused with intelligence in the popular imagination but in actuality just cripple your ability to live a meaningful life and realize your creative potential. It seems truly intelligent people with strong thyroid function realize the chaotic and meaningless nature of reality yet are capable of creating their own meaning and act with the conviction necessary to follow through on decisions and fully realize their creative potential. Conviction is necessary to act and express yourself.

L

lollipop

I think hypothyroidism correlates with neuroticism and a tendency to second-guess ones beliefs and decisions. These characteristics seem to be confused with intelligence in the popular imagination but in actuality just cripple your ability to live a meaningful life and realize your creative potential. It seems truly intelligent people with strong thyroid function realize the chaotic and meaningless nature of reality yet are capable of creating their own meaning and act with the conviction necessary to follow through on decisions and fully realize their creative potential. Conviction is necessary to act and express yourself.
Smart post.

am00

The definition of intelligence is debatable. Most people consider intelligence only in the "logical" sense, but it's well established that emotional intelligence (number of friends) is highly correlated with brain size and also happiness. Also real wisdom (detachment, calmness) as has been mentioned leads to happiness. "Logical" intelligence which is the only form of intelligence most people consider is probably very serotonergic which is why it's associated with mental illness.

What do you mean "serotonergic" intelligence?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals