Intelligent People More Likely To Suffer From Mental Illness

Travis

Could it be that people who spend more time reading score higher on the IQ tests? which means they necessarily spend less time watching television?

I think the pop culture television worldview could be the definition of sanity in this age, and anyone who deviates from that becomes an easier target for psychiatrists. It's easier to stay sane, or not mad, when staying cozy within a bubble of TV-programs and either consciously or subconsciously ignoring all contrary data—alcohol and some foods can help with this.

I get the idea, but sanity is a much more nebulous concept: The Rosenhan experiment proved that sanity is partially defined based solely on the whim and personal inclinations of psychiatrists.

People who score around 100 on the IQ tests are many soldiers, many of whom experience a different form of insanity altogether. This is quite common, and stems more from moral and emotional realms than it does from what we normally call intelligence.

Travis

In fact I felt sad at the immature response to your profound journey
I initially felt the same way, but then realized the comment had two diametrically-opposed meanings. Considering just the title of this thread, it can be understood as a compliment.

It's ambiguous; either a weak drive-by insult, or a brilliant double-entendre.

Dhair

So for the record, my intentions aren’t to disquiet or depress anyone. Guess I should’ve kept my new found paradigm shifts to myself. Sorry If I was glad to be in a happy place. Guess my elaborative deeply personal musings came at others happiness expense. As always
I wasn't referring to you, it's just that multiple people in this thread have talked about suffering needlessly for many years. I find it upsetting, and I don't like to see people suffer like that.

Drareg

Let’s just keep in mind the wars started by high IQ societies,seen as IQ and random correlation is a field day for pscyhopathic intelectuals and racist it’s good to have a look at wars by death toll,Wikipedia -List of wars by death toll - Wikipedia
It’s asians and white people murdering all round,looking at groups with the same logic IQ folks do it paints an obvious picture,they then complain about African American crime in the U.S.

Let’s also remember nobody every seems to want to talk about how they format the test,meanings will count here.

Last edited:

Dhair

Actually I was so happy you shared and wanted to tell you @Frankdee20 It was BEAUTIFUL and INSPIRING. In fact I felt sad at the immature response to your profound journey. Please do not stop sharing because of differing views. I personally have been appreciating your responses in different threads - not to mention your awesome new photo - lol.

If I was responding to @Frankdee20 , I would have quoted him directly. My general musings on depression don't have anything to do with his particular experience, and I too found it inspiring, which is why I asked him to elaborate on what he believes helped him. My comment was basically meaningless, but I don't see anything immature about it.

Drareg

It's actually the authoritarians in charge who are lowering the quality of our language in a planned dumbing down of the population. Rules of grammar are probably the only real democratic legacy we have left.. and they're dying with every tweet we make.
A country's quality of thinking is highly dependent on the quality of its language. A simple language where anything goes leads to simple and very sloppy thinking as sentences lose their precision and a multitude of interpretations become more and more possible. Idiocracy anyone?

Great points.
I do think poetic license of some sort should be allowed,dialects and accents are art,perhaps the increase in individuality people will start their own grammar styles and accents,I can see the hipster community pioneering.

Dhair

I initially felt the same way, but then realized the comment had two diametrically-opposed meanings. Considering just the title of this thread, it can be understood as a compliment.

It's ambiguous; either a weak drive-by insult, or a brilliant double-entendre.
I'm sorry that you feel that way.
Contrary to what my comment may or may not have implied (according to you), I am exquisitely sensitive to these issues and I try to help people when and where I can. The fact that you read so much into those two sentences leaves me wondering if I should feel confused or insulted.

Last edited:

Travis

The fact that you read so much into those two sentences leaves me wondering if I should be confused or insulted.
I saw the double-meaning almost immediately, but it did seem a bit improprietous at first glance.

Dhair

but it did seem a bit improprietous at first glance.
My comment, or your interpretation of it?
How anyone could see my comment as a criticism of the mentally ill and not mental illness itself is beyond me.

L

lollipop

If I was responding to @Frankdee20 , I would have quoted him directly. My general musings on depression don't have anything to do with his particular experience, and I too found it inspiring, which is why I asked him to elaborate on what he believes helped him. My comment was basically meaningless, but I don't see anything immature about it.
Thank you for the clarity. I saw that his reaction was to shut down and unfortunately your comment came shortly after he literally bared his soul so to speak. Was hard to separate for me and apparently him as well and I wanted to reinforce safety on this platform to remain open. My apologies for the word “immature”. My bad actually. Please forgive.

Travis

How anyone could see my comment as a criticism of the mentally ill and not mental illness itself is beyond me.
How you can view your own comment as a 'criticism of [...] mental illness' is, likewise, beyond me.

Brother John

I had read that article. Thinking about this always makes me think of this Nirvana song.

I think you can be happy and creative-intelligent simultaneously, but not happy and intelligent like Sigmund Freud or Isaac Newton. There's a certain amount of seriousness, or gravity involved in thinking about along those lines. Perhaps that definition should be refined as mental discipline, or some such thing. I think the IQ test has a few math components, which are weighed heavily. Perhaps the main finding of such studies is that the people who designed the IQ tests themselves were generally unhappy and engineered the test accordingly: people who had climbed to the top of the authoritarian ψ–educational field and expect all future students to be similarly disciplined. There is an element of seriousness behind all of that, making sure—or atleast maintaining the impression—that students must not make mistakes. Without the element of importance, most of the kids would just play and mock the teacher.

But perhaps it can be largely-reduced to opiates and neurotransmitters? Cholinergic drugs always increase word recall and reaction time, while opiates generally interfere; Dopamine is usually seen as good, while serotonin not so much. Glutamate accelerates microtubule formation—the structures that probably are short-term memory. The longer-term, more ingrained nerves get myelinated microtubules. These things are getting built-up and broken-down all of the time, and many drugs interfere or accelerate this process. So choosing the right diet, environment, and habits are probably the smartest thing you can do—everything else could just follow from that. The only genetic defect that I've read about which interferes with IQ is Down's Syndrome, and this is actually from an enzyme polymorphism which leads to high homocysteine. This is also one of the most common findings in Alzheimer's. So . ..simply having a high-methionine and low B₆ diet could perhaps give anyone either subclinical Alzheimer's or subclinical Down's Syndrome—depending on severity. Of course, it would technically be called hyperhomocysteinuria; but the main agent is the same in both cases. The epidemiological results are so consistent that many cases of dementia (but not maybe not Alzheimer's)* could be renamed as age-related hyperhomocysteinuria, but this name implies obvious an inexpensive treatment modalities so it will never be formally-classified as such. In the same way, Down's Syndrome could just as easily be called cystathionine β-synthase-related homocysteinuria. Again, this implies an easy treatment and nobody in the Medical Establish can sell you the things you can do at home or buy from Amazon.com.

*Alzheimer's was originally defined histologically. Many cases of so-called "Alzheimer's" are really just Alzheimer's Presumed. The disease's founder, Alois Alzheimer, had diagnosed it based-on characteristic neurofibrillary tangles. Injecting rabbits with aluminum does the very same thing, and seems be the only way to create these in a short time period. Theoretically, lipid peroxidation in general could form similar tangles; homocysteine does this because it can form a stable free radical, but aluminum does this as well by displacing iron in addition to physically-crosslinking the highly-phosphorylated and microtubule-stabilizing τ-protein.
Thanks for posting Travis!
Brother John

Brother John

I have mentioned a few times on the forum that in the "psychiatric bible" DSM IV/V a good mental health is characterized by a mild to moderate delusion, while realism is characterized by a mild to moderate depression. Peat said a few times that people with high IQ have a hard time adjusting to the insanity around them and suffer from mental burnout/exhaustion/depression/anxiety more often than the general population of imbeciles. The imbeciles however, seem to enjoy a high rate of social success probably because of feeling at home in a sea of fellow imbeciles.
His work [Lewis Terman] contradicted the... | Ray Peat Forum
"...His work [Lewis Terman] contradicted the stereotype of bright people as being sickly or frail, but, contrary to his expectation, there was an association between maladjustment and higher I.Q.; the incidence of neurotic fatigue, anxiety, and depression increased along with the I.Q. The least bright of his group were more successful in many ways than the most bright."

This new study corroborates Peat's statement and other studies I have posted on his matter.
High intelligence: A risk factor for psychological and physiological overexcitabilities - ScienceDirect
Having a High IQ May Lead to Increased Risk of Mental Illness - Thriveworks
"...There is a plethora of misconceptions and myths when it comes to the topic of mental illness. For example, some people believe that disorders like depression and anxiety are dramatic diagnoses for feelings of sadness. But this is certainly not the case—these conditions and those of the like are real and they’re harmful to those who suffer with them. Another common myth is that people with mental illness are stupid or less intelligent; but in reality, they’re just as smart as those of us who aren’t diagnosed with a mental disorder. In fact, they might even be smarter. A new study “High intelligence: A risk factor for psychological and physiological overexcitabilities” published in Intelligence says that extremely intelligent individuals have a much greater risk of suffering from a range of psychological and physiological disorders.

"...The research team first came up with a “hyper brain/hyper body theory of integration,” which suggests that people with higher cognitive ability react with greater emotional and behavioral response to their environments. And because of their increased awareness, individuals with a high IQ then typically exhibit a hyperreactive central nervous system. For example, “a minor insult such as a clothing tag or an unnatural sound may trigger a low level, chronic stress response which then activates a hyper body response,” explains Dr. Nicole Tetreault, co-author of the study."

Combined with another study showing that altruistic people are also more likely to suffer from mental illness, this paints a bleak picture of the people around us - i.e. the brightest and nicest are also the saddest, while the dumb & selfish scum is blissful.
Altruistic People More Likely To End Up With Depression

What has this world come to...
Thanks for posting Haidut!
Brother John

Brother John

Thyroid hormone increases microtubule assembly. These structures are the nerves inside of nerves—the non-reducible structure of nervous activity. A nerve can be seen as a bundle of microtubules protected by an inert myelin sheath, but some microtubules remaining unprotected. This things are constantly in-flux—being assembled and dis-assembled at a high rate. Long tubes are routinely-formed in vitro with the addition of GTP and magnesium. Neurotransmitter glutamate can accelerate this process.

View attachment 7066
  • Francon, Jacques, et al. "Is thyroxine a regulatory signal for neurotubule assembly during brain development?." Nature266.5598 (1977): 188-190.
It has been known as early as 1975 that rats made to become hypothyroid synthesized microtubules at a slower rate: Brain extracts were made, tubulin extracted, and microtubules assembled in the presence of GTP. It was found that extracts from hypothyroid rats polymerized these structures at a slower rate:

View attachment 7064

The amount of tubulin—the protein monomer—was identical. The hypothyroid rats had the same amount of building blocks for these tubes. The only difference the authors had mentioned was the rat's lack of thyroid hormone. Improvement was noted by feeding the rats thyroid hormone:

View attachment 7065

They added the tau (τ) protein* to each fraction and both groups of rats showed an increased synthesis rate, but the hypothyroid rats still lagged behind. It's tempting to think that thyroid hormone itself is necessary to grow these structures by physically-interacting at the interface—the growth end. Inside of the microtubules themselves is a regular array of tyrosine residues, and thyroxine has a similar ring structure (but iodinated). The removal of tyrosine from the end of the microtubule is known to prevent elongation, and this form is somewhat confusingly referred to as Glu microtubules—which simply refers to the glutamate side-chain which becomes the new characteristic end structure.

The most powerful natural molecule which destroys these structures is 2-methoxyestrogen. This is about 20 times more powerful than simple estrogen and ~40% as powerful as colchicine. The formation of 2-methoxyestrogen can be stopped by taking gallocatechin gallate—a polyphenol found in green tea—which inhibits the enzyme catachol-O-methyltransferase; this does not effect methylation anywhere else, except the methylation of 2-hydroxyestradiol and dopamine (and perhaps other catechols). The methylation of catechols is generally seen as a detoxification mechanism, but we also have sulfation and glucuronidation pathways which account for the majority of steroid elimination. It's not even clear how methylation can be considered a detoxification mechanism since it actually lowers solubility and increases affinity for lipids.

I used to think that promoting green tea extracts was woo, but the in vitro science is rock solid—something that could account for the epidemiological findings which likely created the buzz in the first place. As far as I can tell, nobody has made the connection between gallocatechin gallate, 2-hydroxyestradiol methylation, and microtubule formation—although each half of the three-membered pathway has been well-established. The article that I found on green tea and memory directly implicated gallocatechin gallate, but the word "microtubule" appeared not once in the entire document.

Cochicine is the classic microtubule disruptor, and is also a drug used to treat gout. The side-effects include such things as:

Colchicine actually depolymerizes microtubules, and you could probably even get away with using the word "dissolve" to describe this process since it happens so quickly. It also has four methoxy groups. All powerful microtubule-dissolving drugs have methoxy groups (nocodazole and podophyllotoxin to name a few) attached to a planar ring. One theoretical chemist has speculated that the methoxylated ring of 2-methoxyestradiol intercolates inside of the microtubule and interposes itself between the stacked planar Try-indole and Tyr-phenol rings. Exactly how this impacts microtubule stabilization is open to speculation, but you would expect this to interfere with electron/light transmission.

*The tau (τ) protein stabilizes microtubules, along with the microtubule-associated protein (who would have thought with a name like that, right?). The τ-protein is the structure most found disordered in Alzheimer's Disease, save for the larger neurofilbrillary tangles. The τ-protein is smaller and inside of tangles, which are thought to be crosslinked directly by Al³⁺ through the phosphate groups. This is one of the Al³⁺ brain mechanisms behind lipid peroxidation, which can be initiated by many things. It should be easy to form a long list of memory-enhancing vs neuro-damaging molecules, with thyroid hormone and gallocatechin gallate new additions to the memory-enhancing side.

†Some drugs, like taxol, actually freeze microtubules preventing cell division. The microtubules must break-down at each cell division, highlighting the speed of microtubule formation and disassembly.
Wow!
Brother John

Brother John

Language does indeed change the way we think but a more complex language and even more complex ideas, does not equate to more intelligent ideas or a better language. A thought is worth a million words, unless said thought is made of words. When we are trained to think via a language our thoughts become slowed and the original meaning of such thoughts become distorted by the language. This is actually commonly used by Mentalists to influence people. When we talk to ourselves in our own heads we are actually listening to the words our thoughts create and then interpreting the words. Our thoughts have been distorted by the our interpretation of our own thoughts via language.

Agreed. Words are symbols not territory or direct experience or "reality". I like how you said it..
Thanks,
Brother John

I do not consider myself to be especially intelligent, but this thread is depressing me. It seems that mental illness is rampant.
Does being an ***hole count? We might have a diagnosis there :cool

Sigh... Please read the rest of my comments. I wasnt criticising the mentally ill. I see no reason to continue responding as my words are being manipulated.
:raypeatcoffee

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals