Intelligence

dreamcatcher

Have you noticed greater communication skills and ability to express yourself since following a Ray Peat inspired diet?
I feel, I can express myself in a more elaborate way and understand things better. I don't know what the exact cause of such occurrence.

danielbb

Interesting topic. I cannot speak to the issue of IQ actually being raised but thinking more clearly and reduction of brain fog has been noticed. Also, I don't really suffer from any type of anxiety or negative feelings anymore and I am convinced that those types of feelings were previously linked to my poor dietary habits i.e., the Standard American Diet (SAD).

As to intelligence itself, it seems to me to be somewhat of an elusive word. Is it the ability to recall information? Is it the ability to take new information and process it efficiently? Is it the ability to make better decisions when presented with the same information as someone else? Some have extreme abilities in science and math yet are socially awkward if not inept. Some are great problem solvers yet do not necessarily posses the cognitive skills we normally associate with intelligence. Some are good test takers and poor decision makers in the real world. I am sure there are thousands of ways in which people can express intelligence (or lack thereof).

Interestingly enough, most people nowadays are walking around with super computers in their respective hands with their cell-phones. A search engine at their beckon call. Most probably have raised IQ's in the hundreds if not thousands just by their ability to use a search engine. Are the most intelligent nowadays the ones with the ability to best utilize a search engine?

Back to the question at hand - I have no doubts that a Ray Peat inspired diet improves brain function and if I had to identify two core things about it, it would be:

1. Stop harming yourself by eliminating PUFA (other things as well).

2. Sugar is good for the brain, liver, and thyroid, etc.

OP
D

dreamcatcher

Interesting topic. I cannot speak to the issue of IQ actually being raised but thinking more clearly and reduction of brain fog has been noticed. Also, I don't really suffer from any type of anxiety or negative feelings anymore and I am convinced that those types of feelings were previously linked to my poor dietary habits i.e., the Standard American Diet (SAD).

As to intelligence itself, it seems to me to be somewhat of an elusive word. Is it the ability to recall information? Is it the ability to take new information and process it efficiently? Is it the ability to make better decisions when presented with the same information as someone else? Some have extreme abilities in science and math yet are socially awkward if not inept. Some are great problem solvers yet do not necessarily posses the cognitive skills we normally associate with intelligence. Some are good test takers and poor decision makers in the real world. I am sure there are thousands of ways in which people can express intelligence (or lack thereof).

Interestingly enough, most people nowadays are walking around with super computers in their respective hands with their cell-phones. A search engine at their beckon call. Most probably have raised IQ's in the hundreds if not thousands just by their ability to use a search engine. Are the most intelligent nowadays the ones with the ability to best utilize a search engine?

Back to the question at hand - I have no doubts that a Ray Peat inspired diet improves brain function and if I had to identify two core things about it, it would be:

1. Stop harming yourself by eliminating PUFA (other things as well).

2. Sugar is good for the brain, liver, and thyroid, etc.
Methylene blue came into my mind while reading your description about the absence of anxiety. Methylene blue apparently reduces the level of nitric oxide in the body and helps glucose metabolism. It was also reported that it helps to eliminate negative emotions such as fear. Perhaps testosterone also plays a role when it comes to anxiety.
When it comes to defining intelligence, I think it's a combination of things. There are people who are clever materially speaking but lack emotional intelligence. Not harming yourself is another aspect..

Sobieski

Have you noticed greater communication skills and ability to express yourself since following a Ray Peat inspired diet?
I feel, I can express myself in a more elaborate way and understand things better. I don't know what the exact cause of such occurrence.
Yes. My decision making is also generally better. If the organism as a whole is in a maladaptive/stressful state, then little energy is going to be available for higher mental and physical functions beyond survival and conserving what little precious energy there is. If the organism as a whole is in a pro metabolic, energetic state, more energy is going to be available for higher functions.

OP
D

dreamcatcher

Yes. My decision making is also generally better. If the organism as a whole is in a maladaptive/stressful state, then little energy is going to be available for higher mental and physical functions beyond survival and conserving what little precious energy there is. If the organism as a whole is in a pro metabolic, energetic state, more energy is going to be available for higher functions.
Brilliant @Sobieski I'm happy for you!

bcopeland

From a neuroanatomy perspective if we divide the brain into 3 areas:

1) Cerebral cortex - higher functioning including language, critical thought, etc.
2) Cerebellum - coordination and accuracy of critical thinking, language, and much much more
3) Brainstem - autonomic function

When we think about fuel resources (oxygen and glucose) primarily used by the brain. There is a hierarchy of needs that must be met.

The brainstem gets fuel first as it is necessary for staying alive. The cerebellum although only 10% of brain mass uses a HUGE amount of fuel because it is basically the project manager of the brain. The cerebral cortex demands a lot of fuel as well because any time we go outside of route function such that requires us to stop and think, make decisions, override heuristic tendencies, etc. it needs fuel.

So people who either don't get enough fuel or can't utilize fuel well will get sluggish brains. The symptoms of which can be:
- brain fog
- lack of critical thinking
- old bad habits coming back
- loss of emotional accuracy (too emotional, not empathetic enough, trouble relating to people, etc.)
- muscle tension
- hypothyroid symptoms
- even pain.

Sufficient fuel keeps the entire organism functioning well including intelligence. Also sufficient fuel allows us to critically think and focus which allows intelligence to increase.

So long story short just an anatomical view of what everyone else already said :):

OP
D

dreamcatcher

1) Cerebral cortex - higher functioning including language, critical thought, etc.
2) Cerebellum - coordination and accuracy of critical thinking, language, and much much more

When we think about fuel resources (oxygen and glucose) primarily used by the brain. There is a hierarchy of needs that must be met.

The brainstem gets fuel first as it is necessary for staying alive. The cerebellum although only 10% of brain mass uses a HUGE amount of fuel because it is basically the project manager of the brain. The cerebral cortex demands a lot of fuel as well because any time we go outside of route function such that requires us to stop and think, make decisions, override heuristic tendencies, etc. it needs fuel.

So people who either don't get enough fuel or can't utilize fuel well will get sluggish brains. The symptoms of which can be:
- brain fog
- loss of emotional accuracy (too emotional, not empathetic enough, trouble relating to people, etc.)
- muscle tension
- hypothyroid symptoms
- even pain.

Sufficient fuel keeps the entire organism functioning well including intelligence. Also sufficient fuel allows us to critically think and focus which allows intelligence to increase.

So long story short just an anatomical view of what everyone else already said :):
Thank you for the information, it is very interesting. No wonder why criminals have nutritional deficiencies.

L

lollipop

- brain fog
- muscle tension
- hypothyroid symptoms
- even pain.

This is a great post @bcopeland. Informative. Thanks for taking the time :):

tara

Sufficient fuel and as you suggest, all the cofactors and conditions that allow our cells to use it.

Arrade

How we figured out how to get more intelligent tho

Last edited:

Ulysses

bcopeland

Raise our intelligence

If you are asking 'how do we become more intelligent?' then the answer would simply be by studying and learning new things. From a neuroanatomy perspective it might look like this:
  1. Physical Body Mastery - find something fun, salient, and challenging like a sport, or dance, or anything that requires you to pay attention to fine motor skills and practice both sides of the body not just one side. This is great for your cortex, cerebellum, and brainstem. That is why physical movement is SOOOO important as it really hits nearly every part of the brain.
  2. Learn a new language and/or to play a musical instrument - this trains our ability to process thoughts, information, context, hearing, memory, etc.
  3. Frequently challenge your own beliefs - listen to opponents of what you believe, step outside and take a critical look at what they are saying. This works on your critical thinking skills.
  4. Emotional intelligence - this is almost too big to get into but make sure you are not overly or underly emotional. Learn to see life through the correct perspectives and make sure you are actually living that way. Seek to meet your own needs and then with your abundance you can help others... you know put your own mask on before securing the mask of a child LOL
  5. Tongue and Pelvic Floor Drills - Yeah I know that sounds weird and esoteric LOL. There is a part of your brain called the insular coretx that is responsible for your sense of feeling grounded and well-being. It is kind of a bridge between your conscious cortex and subconscious brainstem. The highest number of neurons that fire into the insular cortex come from the tongue and pelvic floor muscles. So doing things like Kegels (more like relaxing the area than tensing it) and tongue drills such as speech therapy drills or my favorite which I call tooth mapping (find every part of every tooth with the tip of your tongue) can be amazing for helping you to feel healthier and happier. No kidding. I can't tell you how many clients lives have been changed including my own. The insular cortex is the reason that aromatherapy, heavy blankets, hugs, and the like work to calm people down and make them feel safe. In fact it is likely why those heavy blankets you wrap around dogs during thunderstorms work to calm them down. New emerging science with exciting possibilities.

Last edited:

bcopeland

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    124 bytes · Views: 12
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals