Intelligence and metabolism -private school bad for kids?

Raypmom

"If we know that rats nurtured in freedom, in an interesting environment, grow more intelligent, then it would seem obvious that we should experiment with similar approaches for children--if we are really interested in fostering intelligence. And since violence and mental dullness are created by the same social stresses, even the desire to reduce school violence might force the society to make some improvements that will, as a side effect, foster intelligence." - Ray Peat (Intelligence and metabolism)

My first time reading this article, very interesting stuff! He speaks about the education system and how children develop differently in certain environments. I didn't quite understand it very well though or maybe I did. Is he saying that private schools are bad? My son is currently enrolled in a private academy. It was a difficult decision to make, but he is in kindergarten so we are still thinking about it.

What is everyone's thoughts about Rays views about the education system? Or what can one do if they still choose to enroll their child in a private school? He encourages play a lot, but I really don't understand exactly what he's saying is an important. He talks about isolation being bad as well. What kind of isolation is talking about? I know there is a lot of truth to what he's saying, I'm not doubting him at all.

johns74

Ok, so state schools would be better? To me that's like saying that the DMV treats you better than private companies, that Obamacare launches better websites than private companies, that the social security administration is better at avoiding sending checks to dead people than private companies.

I think a state school might be better for indoctrination on the fashionable doctrines of the day, sex ed at age 9 teaching them there are no genders and how to prepare for anal sex, and that the state is this wonderful organization that makes your life better.

Regarding private schools, each should be researched, they can be good or awful. State schools can be good too but those are the exception. If the kid is strong there is a chance he won't be brainwashed by a state school.

johns74

I don't understand how you are getting a conclusion about private schools. In that quote Peat talks about an environment of freedom for kids, both private and public schools are highly structured. I think the Montessori system is less structured, so what I interpret from that quote is that Montessori would be a better school than the typical ones, though it's expensive and not really an option for the majority.

Surely certain private institutions let you become something much fuller and healthier, however you have to have something in your life where you come in contact with the bad things and the less well-off. That is, if you want to ever make those things better. If growing and dying in a fenced community is your life plan, that is a different story of course. All the good you get in life is but an instrument to make bad things better. As for Montessori system, I've heard people complaining about how "off" the ones who did it are; however all the things they complained about are positive and/or to be expected from such a method.

johns74

Such_Saturation said:
If growing and dying in a fenced community is your life plan, that is a different story of course.

Avoiding the misery and stuff happens to almost nobody, even if you try. Society is so messed up that you can find the weak, damaged, mentally ill, in just about every social circle and every elite institution.

So actively looking for misery doesn't seem like an important thing to me, unless maybe if you somehow managed to not come across it in many years.

johns74 said:
Such_Saturation said:
If growing and dying in a fenced community is your life plan, that is a different story of course.

Avoiding the misery and stuff happens to almost nobody, even if you try. Society is so messed up that you can find the weak, damaged, mentally ill, in just about every social circle and every elite institution.

So actively looking for misery doesn't seem like an important thing to me, unless maybe if you somehow managed to not come across it in many years.

It doesn't matter, they still are from the same environment. They will always approach the world with a certain know-it-all that only a presumptuous education can give them. Think about some managers you've had, think about Orange County, think about Harvard, think about all those people who are MAD at their parent for homeschooling them.

OP
R

Raypmom

johns74 said:
Ok, so state schools would be better? To me that's like saying that the DMV treats you better than private companies, that Obamacare launches better websites than private companies, that the social security administration is better at avoiding sending checks to dead people than private companies.

I think a state school might be better for indoctrination on the fashionable doctrines of the day, sex ed at age 9 teaching them there are no genders and how to prepare for anal sex, and that the state is this wonderful organization that makes your life better.

Regarding private schools, each should be researched, they can be good or awful. State schools can be good too but those are the exception. If the kid is strong there is a chance he won't be brainwashed by a state school.

I was not saying private is better. But it is a religious private school. (I should have mentioned that.) But it's not STRICT or anything. They just have time set aside for prayer -but everything else is normal. It was my husbands idea. He wanted my son to be in an environment that would help him learn his native language. He also takes additional classes there so that he can be fluent one day. But that's why we chose the academy. That being the main reason I guess.

I guess I misunderstood the quote, I thought he was saying that private school might be to strict or isolation from the world ? Dunno. I plan on reading article again. We also don't have TV (cable), but they are free to watch some animated movies every once in a while. I just think TV teaches kids to think a certain way, and I just want my kids to think for themselves. TV really exposes too much to such young minds. I don't really want to get into this too much because a get a lot of hate from other parents. I guess I just want them to get in the habit of making up their own minds. I really think TV can prevent free thinking. My opinion. Also I wonder if it effects the developing brain? Areas I'm still reading and researching.

I guess my reason for asking about this topic is that sometimes I get a lot of feedback from other parents telling me I am too strict with food etc for kids Maybe when they were younger yes, but now when we go out in Malls and I ask them what they want for a snack they reach for the OJ. when there is donuts and candy around them. So it gets to me sometimes. Makes you wonder are you doing it all wrong and everyone else around you is RIGHT? :?

johns74

My guess is that the education they receive from the family, and the actions of the individual himself, have more influence than the school.

I think private schools are more likely to have teachers who care about their students. Some public school teachers might be there simply because it's really hard to fire them.

But there are exceptions, and I think one should always investigate the school, their history, what their graduates are doing, their dropout rates, etc.

pboy

the people ive known who were homeschooled have had a more down to earth inner confident, yet less outer confidence, more shy. But they were much more interesting and pleasant to be around on average, more human

Zachs

Waldorf and other play based schools are where its at for fostering learning in children. I think its pretty obvious that structured, test based schooling does not translate well to the real world in any meaningful way. Focusing on play, child interaction, music, language, etc develops the child to thrive in life in whatever area they choose. As a plus, they are educated on whole foods, environment and sustainability, something that is sorely missing on most children's education.

LucyL said:
think about all those people who are MAD at their parent for homeschooling them

Who are they?

Here are some: https://www.google.it/webhp?sourceid=ch ... m&start=10

There are more who seem to love it however. I had my opinion from a messageboard, but this is stronger evidence. It doesn't seem like such a bad idea, although I saw an alarming amount of "God" and "Bible" in the positive comments.