Integral Moves Forward: Lose Fat, Lift More, Worry Less.

Integral

Hello guys and girls,

I hope you're well?

I'm Rav. I'm 24, from England. I have a previous history of issues with hypothyroidism, depression & anxiety, insomnia, weight regulation (been very, very thin, now very fat!) and cognitive problems. I have, since working with a great practitioner in my local area, learned about Ray Peat and pretty much regained my health and vitality! Woo hoo!

The lengthy back story can be found here:

https://raypeatforum.com/forum/viewtopi ... 987#p93987

I am nowadays a different human being, with a very different outlook on life. I find I enjoy my life now and all the cards it deals me.

My goal is to now lose some weight, gradually over time, and gain strength and some muscle mass.

I will be lifting in the gym 4 times a week, and I will be going for easy 45 minute walks each morning.

My diet will be largely Peaty.

My training routine is in essence Legs/Push/Pull/Full-Body.

I have been training the last couple months pretty much with a chilled out focus on just pushing the numbers up. As the weights got a little harder, I found I am now getting pretty close to plateauing. As such, I am going to spend about 9-16 weeks pushing work capacity up...a lot. It will be incredibly gradual, though. Either way, the plan is to handle weights I have been doing for 3 x 5 in my previous cycle for 4 x 10 during the end of this cycle. This should seriously push my adaptive ceiling up, and when I drop the reps to 3 x 8 and then 3 x 5, I should be able to breeze past my previous PR's and make great progress.

I am influenced by the idea of 'Easy Strength' outlined by Pavel Tsatsouline and Dan John wherein maximal strength can be built very effectively using sub-maximal weights. I am also influenced by Greg Nuckol's work and trust what his research says concerning strength development being in large part dictated by the amount of work you can perform and recover from, so work capacity.

My previous best lifts were 170kg in the squat, 100kg in the bench, and 220kg in the deadlift. These were done quite a few years ago and I've since not really trained, I've been so ill and had all these issues with depression and anxiety, but now that's all over with and gone, I think I have learned a lot in terms of programming and mentality so will fly past those weights in 1 years time. I am not very fit or strong at the moment, but over time, I will get there,

Bodyweight at the moment is around 265lbs at 6 ft 3. Body-fat I would estimate is 35% or possibly more?

My routine is as follows, then:

-Periodisation: Volume should taper off as auto-regulation dictates.

Day 1: Squat + Quad/Ham/Core Assistance
A) Barbell Back Squat: 4 x 10 (On the last rep of each warm-up, perform a paused breathing squat for 5-10 breaths)
B) Choice of quad movement: 4 x 12 (Leg Press/Hack Squat/Lunge)
C) Barbell Romanian Deadlift: 4 x 12
D) Dead Bugs: 2 x 8

Day 2: Bench + Chest/Shoulder/Tricep Assistance
A) Flat Barbell Bench Press: 4 x 10
B) Incline Barbell Bench Press: 4 x 10
C) Pec Flyes: 4 x 12
D) Barbell Military Press: 4 x 10
E) Dumbbell Elbows-Out Extension: 4 x 10

Day 3: Deadlift + Lat/Lower back/Hamstring Assistance
A) Deadlift: 4 x 3
B) Choice of horizontal row: 4 x 12 (Chest-supported Machine/DB row/BB Pendlay row/Cable)
C) Choice of vertical row: 4 x 12 (Lat pulldown/Chinup/Pullup)
D) Lying Leg Curl: 4 x 12

Day 4: Full Body Assistance

A) Incline Dumbbell Press: 4 x 8
B) Standing Hammer Curls: 4 x 12
C) Choice of quad movement: 4 x 12 (Leg Press/Hack Squat/Lunge)
D) Choice of horizontal row: 4 x 8 (Chest-supported Machine/DB row/BB Pendlay row/Cable)
E) Dead Bugs: 2 x 8

OP
Integral

Integral

Intelgral Moves Forward: Lose Fat, Lift More, Worry Less.

I trained today with my younger brother at my local gym. It's a great gym I use, owned by a powerlifting family. The owner, now 58, is a former world-class lifter - best lifts were 800lb squat, 500lb bench press, 715lb deadlift. He was a very muscular, lean and fit man in his prime, and was highly intelligent in terms of programming. He was so cautious in his approach and he really did a lot of volume to drive his strength up. He never really suffered any major injuries in the gym, the only injuries he incurred were from when he was out drinking lol!

His son's are also very advanced powerlifters, the elder (Dean, 30 years old) is one of my best friends, and the younger (Liam, 27 year old) transitioned into boxing about 4 years ago and is undefeated as a boxer, possessing an absolutely huge level of fitness/endurance as well as strength.

I have found this gym has a great community for lifting, and I feel it has really benefited me to be a part of it.

Anyways, I did day 2 of my training today as it was just easier with my brother's work routine. This is the beginning of a new 16 week training cycle and as such is highly light weights, as it should/will be for some time.

Monday 7/12/15 - Push

A) Flat BB Bench Press: 60kg 4 x 10
B) Incline BB Press: 35kg 4 x 10
C) Pec Flyes: 7 @ Selectorised Stack 4 x 12
D) Standing BB Military Press: 30kg 4 x 10
E) DB Tate Press: 5kg DBs 4 x 10

This workout was very fun and was completed in around 55 minutes, 10 or so were chatting to my mate Dean.

Now to chill out and do some reading and eating.

Cheers,
Rav.

Lucas

Hello.
I am fighting hypothyroidism too and I lift weigths 2 times a week full body.
The hypothyroidism kill my squats (I squat one day, front squat the outher). I don’t have strength on my legs because of the hypo, my legs fell heavy, so I close grip bench press more than can I squat!!
Currently I am doing the Wendler 5 3 1 for powerlifting, and find interesting this 3x5 to 4 x 10 work capacity thing.
Good look on your journey!!

tara

Integral said:
post 113061 I have, since working with a great practitioner in my local area, learned about Ray Peat and pretty much regained my health and vitality! Woo hoo!
Congratulations. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

juanitacarlos

Lucas said:
post 113068 Hello.
The hypothyroidism kill my squats (I squat one day, front squat the outher). I don’t have strength on my legs because of the hypo, my legs fell heavy, so I close grip bench press more than can I squat!!
Currently I am doing the Wendler 5 3 1 for powerlifting, and find interesting this 3x5 to 4 x 10 work capacity thing.

Interesting you say that. I've started powerlifting in the past year and it's been one of the best things I've done for myself. But....I have that same weakness in my legs - particularly in regards to the hips. I do think it's related the hypothyroidism. I have to put a lot of work into things like bridges, split squats, lunges etc to try and catch up. Very slow going.

I need a lot of recovery and plenty of food. I work out 3 times per week.

ThunderSpank

ttramone said:
post 113180
Lucas said:
post 113068 Hello.

Interesting you say that. I've started powerlifting in the past year and it's been one of the best things I've done for myself. But....I have that same weakness in my legs - particularly in regards to the hips. I do think it's related the hypothyroidism. I have to put a lot of work into things like bridges, split squats, lunges etc to try and catch up. Very slow going.

Have you guys tried less volume? Recovery is pretty hard with thyroid issues, and as you progressively do more and more sets your t3 will drop more and more. A single good heavy set of 6-10 reps will stimulate growth . So 3 sets is more than enough. Protein synthesis is only elevated for about 48 hours so 2-3 times per week of working each muscle with no more than 1- 3 sets (per muscle ) is enough to stimulate growth and strength while minimize thyroid interference. Carbohydrates, adequate protein, and thyroid and or caffeine give me maximal contraction strength. Also GRAPHIC but after 15 days and beyond of abstinence from orgasim, my workouts hit a completely new level and my ability to contract my muscles changes and I feel like superman. My :2cents

juanitacarlos

ThunderSpank said:
post 113191
ttramone said:
post 113180
Lucas said:
post 113068 Hello.

Have you guys tried less volume? Recovery is pretty hard with thyroid issues, and as you progressively do more and more sets your t3 will drop more and more. A single good heavy set of 6-10 reps will stimulate growth . So 3 sets is more than enough. Protein synthesis is only elevated for about 48 hours so 2-3 times per week of working each muscle with no more than 1- 3 sets (per muscle ) is enough to stimulate growth and strength while minimize thyroid interference. Carbohydrates, adequate protein, and thyroid and or caffeine give me maximal contraction strength. Also GRAPHIC but after 15 days and beyond of abstinence from orgasim, my workouts hit a completely new level and my ability to contract my muscles changes and I feel like superman. My :2cents

Can't speak for the others ..... but for me it's not really a volume/fatigue/recovery thing for the leg/hip weakness. It's a muscular/neuro issue, I'm guessing? It's not uncommon to have hip pain or issues with hypothyroidism. It's all individual though. I've had hip pain for more than a decade, so it's going to take some time to sort out.

Lucas - are your other lifts ok??

As for abstaining from an orgasm.....not sure if that advice applies for the ladies! Even if it did, I love my lifting, but not that much....

OP
Integral

Integral

Just got back from a nice walk. The weather was quite decent here in the West Midlands, so I spent an hour and twenty minutes walking and listening to music/a podcast by Tim Ferriss on Mindfulness.

I have an infra-red sauna in my home. It's one of the portable ones by Firzone. I try to use it four times a week, mainly after lifting, like a few hours after I've gotten back from the gym. I find it actually makes me feel a lot better and I have reason to believe it helps with recovery. Dr. Rhoda Patrick has done some research on sauna use and longevity which I hear is interesting.

By the way guys, the approach I am trying to take to strength training which concerns using weights below (sometimes as little as 50%) 80% of your max to push your maximal strength up is outlined in the book Easy Strength I referred to earlier but is not actually purely the Easy Strength method, rather, it is from a chapter within the same book called Even Easier Strength. In that chapter, Dan John and Pavel Tsatsouline outline research from a few different scientists to suggest that for long-term development, training in the 70% range was more effective than 80-95%. What I sort of took from it is that there needs to be an attitudinal shift - rather than thinking how to get your 1RM up, you should be thinking about how to coax your 80% 1RM up, and the rest takes care of itself. I can happily get the references from the chapter if anyone is interested.

Little bit on Even Easier Strength is also posted here, but not much is given as per the research: http://danjohn.net/2011/06/even-easier- ... ter-notes/

Lucas said:
post 113068 Hello.

Dude I remember when my hypo was bad, I was friggin weak as hell, I actually struggled with lower body strength too come to think of it! Odd. Wendler's stuff is great man, like his writing a lot.

tara said:
post 113120
Integral said:
post 113061 I have, since working with a great practitioner in my local area, learned about Ray Peat and pretty much regained my health and vitality! Woo hoo!
Congratulations. :)

Thank you Tara. :)

ttramone said:
post 113181 Rav - Greg Nuckols is great!

What is your diet like now?

Greg is an awesome resource. I bought his Training Toolkit recently and really liked it. I think he's getting things right on so many levels. I would actually use his Average to Savage program, but I am interested in a more auto-regulated approach to programming, rather than using percentages as such. Hence, I feel as if I may be onto something with my current approach to training, but we'll see lol.

My diet is not really set in stone, I just try to get in a good amount of fruit and try to keep carbs:protein 2:1. It's not easy and I don't get it perfect at all, but I keep trying to get the kcals in. I feel good at any rate. :)

Going to read for a bit now, and then I will train Pull later today at around 1PM or so. Will report back after the training session.

Cheers,
Rav.

OP
Integral

Integral

8/12/15 - Pull

A) Deadlift: 100kg 5 x 3
B) Chest-Supported Machine Row: 30kg 4 x 12
C) Unilateral Lat-Pulldown: @ 5 on selectorised stack 4 x 12
D) Kneeling Leg-Curl: 5kg 4 x 12

Short and sweet workout. Nice and easy. I think it was only 35-40 minutes long lol.

I am now going to drink some OJ w/ gelatin and chill out for a bit. I'll then read before hitting the infra-red sauna.

Cheers,
Rav.

juanitacarlos

Rav - what time of the day do you workout? Do you ever get any stress response from your workouts?

OP
Integral

Integral

ttramone said:
post 113432 Rav - what time of the day do you workout? Do you ever get any stress response from your workouts?

I actually am a recent graduate from University so I am unemployed at the moment - I choose to train at 1PM :) I like to get the gym out the way and do other things, though I do enjoy training!

I was so friggin tired a few months ago going to the gym was unthinkable, but now funnily enough I actually really love to train, which I feel is a good sign. I don't need to force myself to go to the gym or anything. If I had to force myself, I would definitely re-think things.

Concerning any stress response, something weird does happen after each training session. What typically happens is I'll drive home from the gym, feeling pretty energised and mentally clear, then I'll instinctively reach for something sweet. Usually a piece of chocolate or a glass of coke. After a few minutes, I start to feel different. The most accurate way I can describe it is, it's as if my body realises there's no further need to exert itself and it can calm down. I then start to feel the effects of physical exertion - a general systemic fatigue. It is still quite manageable though, I can continue with my day and after a while I feel normal again.

Cheers,
Rav.

OP
Integral

Integral

10/12/15 - Legs

A) Squats: 50kg 4 x 10 (Did a paused breathing squat on the last rep of the two warm-ups....felt like I was going to pass out after)
B) Leg Press: 1 plate a side on a 54kg sled: 4 x 10
C) BB RDL: 30kg 4 x 10
D) Dead Bugs: 2 x 8 (Using the easiest progression at the moment)

Cheers,
Rav.

OP
Integral

Integral

An observation on my heart rate & exercise...

I finished training at about 2:20PM, tested my heart rate about an hour after exercise and it was 110 BPM. About two hours after this, it was still actually elevated. I just tested it now and it came down to 85 BPM, which I think is around normal (it's 8:00PM now).

I think I may strive to follow some of the guidelines outlined here concerning measures to take when you're active:

http://co2factor.blogspot.co.uk/2012/08 ... g-ray.html

Cheers,
Rav.

OP
Integral

Integral

I'm doing my biomeasurements again. Note that I feel good, but my temps and pulses aren't optimal yet. I printed off the temp and pulse form from the functionalps website. I'll take them for 30 days and scan and upload the doc here for reference. Anyway, upon waking I had an underarm temp of 35.6C and pulse of 68. I only had 1 orange so couldn't make OJ, instead I had 250ml of coke and 3 hard boiled eggs for breakfast. 40 mins after breakfast, my underarm temp was 36.2C and my pulse was 78 BPM. I drank a coffee with 3 tsp of sugar and about 14g of great lakes gelatin at around 12. I tested my temp and pulse again at 1pm, and it was 36.4C and 74 BPM respectively.

12/12/15 - Full Body Assistance

A) Incline DB Press: 17.5kg 4 x 8
B) Standing DB Hammer Curls: 5kg 4 x 12
C) DB Walking Lunge: 5kg 10/8/0/0*
D) BB Pendlay Row: 40kg 4 x 8
E) Dead Bugs: 2 x 8 (On the easiest part of the progression atm)

*My hamstring towards the glue area started cramping a bit on the second set, and plus I started to struggle a bit (lol) so I had to leave it there! 'Easy Strength' is supposed to be built by coaxing your body along, not hammering your body into submission, as such you're not supposed to struggle. This is a bit of a paradigm shift for many who strength train, including me. I am absolutely happy to give my body as long as it needs to be able to perform 4 x 12 on the walking DB lunges. No rush, better to enjoy the process.

I'm now going to do 20 mins in my infrared sauna, shower off and eat the carrot detox salad, before reading and dropping my brother off at work at 5:30PM.

Cheers,
Rav.

OP
Integral

Integral

Interestingly, my temps have come up quite a lot in just one day of consciously trying to push kcals up a bit. From a waking temp and pulse of 35.5C/68BPM yesterday to 36.2C/78BPM today, I think things are moving positively forward.

OP
Integral

Integral

I weighed myself just now.

I am still the same bodyweight as before: 265.6lbs.

I have, however, firmed up a lot and I 'feel' less fat. My jeans are also fitting a bit looser. Odd. I've also been eating a lot more kcals.

Will be training push movements later today, probably at like 7pm because I've gotta take my Mum to the Dr. now and then have a haircut at 3pm.

Cheers,
Rav.

OP
Integral

Integral

I worked out yesterday. Got home at about 9pm, ate, chilled out a bit but was ******* wiped out by training and just sort of passed out at around 10:45PM.

The session itself looked really easy on paper, I even felt great.

I got to the gym, gripped the empty bar to start my first warmup on flat bench press and it just felt different....

As the workout progressed, nothing was as easy as it was last week. Yet, I felt good!

I believe this is indicative of a period of adaptation taking place, my nervous system is still a little depressed from the volume and it'll take time to catch up. I was literally only doing 3 x 5 or 3 x 8 for most of the movements I train before, so now doing 4 x 10-12, it'll be a different sort of stress on the body I imagine.

Anyway, the training went as follows:

14/12/15 - Push

A) Flat BB Bench Press: 62.5kg 4 x 10
B) Incline BB Press: 35.5kg 4 x 12
C) Pec Flyes: @ 3 on stack 4 x 12 (Took this one a lot lighter than from last week)
D) Military Press: 35kg 10/10/10/6
E) DB Tate Press: 5kg 4 x 12

Done.

I am not sore or anything today as I write this, however, I do feel a bit...'off'.

No training today, been for a 45 minute morning walk, will try and consume a lot of kcal, and will try and get in the infrared sauna later. I'm training back tomorrow.

Cheers,
Rav.

EIRE24

Integral said:
I worked out yesterday. Got home at about 9pm, ate, chilled out a bit but was f***ing wiped out by training and just sort of passed out at around 10:45PM.

The session itself looked really easy on paper, I even felt great.

I got to the gym, gripped the empty bar to start my first warmup on flat bench press and it just felt different....

As the workout progressed, nothing was as easy as it was last week. Yet, I felt good!

I believe this is indicative of a period of adaptation taking place, my nervous system is still a little depressed from the volume and it'll take time to catch up. I was literally only doing 3 x 5 or 3 x 8 for most of the movements I train before, so now doing 4 x 10-12, it'll be a different sort of stress on the body I imagine.

Anyway, the training went as follows:

14/12/15 - Push

A) Flat BB Bench Press: 62.5kg 4 x 10
B) Incline BB Press: 35.5kg 4 x 12
C) Pec Flyes: @ 3 on stack 4 x 12 (Took this one a lot lighter than from last week)
D) Military Press: 35kg 10/10/10/6
E) DB Tate Press: 5kg 4 x 12

Done.

I am not sore or anything today as I write this, however, I do feel a bit...'off'.

No training today, been for a 45 minute morning walk, will try and consume a lot of kcal, and will try and get in the infrared sauna later. I'm training back tomorrow.

Cheers,
Rav.

Would love to see the sort of foods that make up your diet while your training. I'm jealous of the sauna, I bet it's an awesome feeling when your in there.

OP
Integral

Integral

After a 20 min stay in the infrared sauna I've been feeling pretty damn good today. I was friggin fatigued earlier this morning, it's now 5:30pm here in the UK and I am doing great.

I feel as if the infrared sauna really helps metabolism. This is purely anecdotal but it feels as if the heat is telling my cells to wake up? lol...

EIRE24 said:
Would love to see the sort of foods that make up your diet while your training. I'm jealous of the sauna, I bet it's an awesome feeling when your in there.

Concerning my diet, I am pretty relaxed with my diet, breakfast is usually 250ml glass of freshly squeezed OJ w/ 15g gelatin + 2 boiled eggs. I usually take an aspirin at breakfast also. About two hours later I'll usually have a coffee w/ 3 tsp of sugar and also 250g of ice cream. I warm the ice cream up for about 1 minute in the microwave, find it easier to get down that way. Lunch is typically a well cooked baked potato, done in the oven. It usually amounts to about 400g worth of spud! I typically fill it with cheese and butter. Then, usually the raw carrot detox salad will come. I find that helps with gut function a lot - I start getting acid reflux if I forget to do the salad for a while and ingest too much gluten (which I try to avoid anyway). I will then try and get a further 500kcal from custard or something caloric-ly dense like that, before dinner which is typically a form of lean meat and rice or something like that - very flexible with it. Ultimately, I feel I do best on a 2: 1 carbs to protein ratio, and my body needs at least 2,500kcal to make health gains. I try to think about my diet as putting fuel in a car, I get enough fuel in and I let my body allocate it as it wants. 3,000kcal is best for me and is the goal most days but it can be a bit tricky getting it in.

In sum, for me what helped was the idea my friend Chris put into me of getting the nutrition right for the individual and also getting enough fuel! Chris used to tell me that most people are literally 'running on empty' - you don't want that!

Cheers,
Rav.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals