Insulin sentivity is what makes you fat. Insulin resistance is not

Hgreen56

i was reading some articles from high-fat-nutrition.blogspot.com

His view is that insulin sensitivity is making you fat. not other way around. (with study's that confirm this)
With other words: insulin resistance is a good thing
I wondering how peat followers thinks about this.
There are lot of topics here that people complain about lots of hunger and fat gain on low fat high carb diets.
A high insulin sensitivity i probably the cause?

Jessie

The site is literally called "high-fat-nutrition." Of course this schmuck thinks insulin sensitivity causes fat gain, his whole ideological framework depends on such fringe beliefs.

Weight gain is—quite literally—caused when you consume more calories then you burn. When someone argues this point, that's when I know I've just discovered another quack. Low carb diets are low calorie diets. Low fat diets are low calorie diets. Most people when they switch to a high-fat diet have cut around 500-1000 calories from their daily consumption. That's hella significant.

Now if cutting macros disproportionately helps you to acheive a caloric deficit, then go for it. However I think it's pretty clear that excessive FAO comes with profound downsides, like the increase in virtually every chronic disease. That's not just from the Peatsphere either, most well respected journals are filled with evidence supporting this conclusion.

Burning mostly fat for fuel also means your cortisol will be high, which is also a non-debatable fact. Low carbers don't deny this, they just try and justify high cortisol as a good thing. So a high fat diet seems like a really good way to increase disease and burn though your muscle mass making you skinny fat. For all these reasons, and more, if you're going to disproportionately cut a macro, it should definitely probably be fat and not carbohydrate.

area51puy

Forum Supporter

View: https://youtu.be/iYYWbiK8T-A

In this video Paul Saladino talks about the differences between Steric acid which is saturated fat and PUFAs. Essentially saying when you consume pufa it send a signal to fat cells to become insulin sensitive and to keep growing and evolutionarily we would have consumed some nuts and seeds in the fall to get ready for winter and consuming animal fat that has steric acid in it says to the cell become insulin resistant through some sort ros. He explains it better then I do. And cites some studies on steric acid vs pufa

area51puy

Forum Supporter

Dietary stearic acid leads to a reduction of visceral adipose tissue in athymic nude mice​

Ming-Che Shen et al. PLoS One. 2014.
Free PMC article
Show details

Abstract PubMed PMID
Full text linksCite

Abstract​

Stearic acid (C18:0) is a long chain dietary saturated fatty acid that has been shown to reduce metastatic tumor burden. Based on preliminary observations and the growing evidence that visceral fat is related to metastasis and decreased survival, we hypothesized that dietary stearic acid may reduce visceral fat. Athymic nude mice, which are used in models of human breast cancer metastasis, were fed a stearic acid, linoleic acid (safflower oil), or oleic acid (corn oil) enriched diet or a low fat diet ad libitum. Total body weight did not differ significantly between dietary groups over the course of the experiment. However visceral fat was reduced by ∼70% in the stearic acid fed group compared to other diets. In contrast total body fat was only slightly reduced in the stearic acid diet fed mice when measured by dual-energy x-ray absorptiometry and quantitative magnetic resonance. Lean body mass was increased in the stearic acid fed group compared to all other groups by dual-energy x-ray absorptiometry. Dietary stearic acid significantly reduced serum glucose compared to all other diets and increased monocyte chemotactic protein-1 (MCP-1) compared to the low fat control. The low fat control diet had increased serum leptin compared to all other diets. To investigate possible mechanisms whereby stearic acid reduced visceral fat we used 3T3L1 fibroblasts/preadipocytes. Stearic acid had no direct effects on the process of differentiation or on the viability of mature adipocytes. However, unlike oleic acid and linoleic acid, stearic acid caused increased apoptosis (programmed cell death) and cytotoxicity in preadipocytes. The apoptosis was, at least in part, due to increased caspase-3 activity and was associated with decreased cellular inhibitor of apoptosis protein-2 (cIAP2) and increased Bax gene expression. In conclusion, dietary stearic acid leads to dramatically reduced visceral fat likely by causing the apoptosis of preadipocytes.

area51puy

Forum Supporter

Dietary stearic acid regulates mitochondria in vivo in humans​

Deniz Senyilmaz-Tiebe et al. Nat Commun. 2018.
Free PMC article
Show details

Abstract PubMed PMID
Full text linksCite

Abstract​

Since modern foods are unnaturally enriched in single metabolites, it is important to understand which metabolites are sensed by the human body and which are not. We previously showed that the fatty acid stearic acid (C18:0) signals via a dedicated pathway to regulate mitofusin activity and thereby mitochondrial morphology and function in cell culture. Whether this pathway is poised to sense changes in dietary intake of C18:0 in humans is not known. We show here that C18:0 ingestion rapidly and robustly causes mitochondrial fusion in people within 3 h after ingestion. C18:0 intake also causes a drop in circulating long-chain acylcarnitines, suggesting increased fatty acid beta-oxidation in vivo. This work thereby identifies C18:0 as a dietary metabolite that is sensed by our bodies to control our mitochondria. This could explain part of the epidemiological differences between C16:0 and C18:0, whereby C16:0 increases cardiovascular and cancer risk whereas C18:0 decreases both.

Conflict of interest statement​

The authors declare no competing interests.

area51puy

Forum Supporter
If had to say what the problem is PUFAs send a signal to fats cells become insulin sensitive and to grow causing them to be engorged and eventually unable to divide and then are unable to except any more nutrients which leads to insulin resistance and then the fatty acids start leak out into the blood And when PUFAs oxidate in the body the release toxic byproducts that lead to metabolic dysfunction in all cells and cells go from oxidizing sugar to carbon dioxide to burning fats and sugar into Latic acid and that leads to increased insulin resistance in muscle , brain and organs cells and that is what leads to all the metabolic diseases people are suffering from.

so insulin sensitivity is good in muscle and organ cells but becomes damaged from oxidized pufa which leads to insulin resistance.

and Pufa in fats cell send a signal for fat cells to become insulin sensitive and grow but eventually become overextended and start leaking fatty acids.

so if most of that fat one consumes is palmitic and steric acid that lead to insulin resistance in fats cells. So probably the reason when someone has a fatty liver and eats saturated fat it send a signal to the liver cells to become insulin resistant and stop the signal pufa sends to become insulin sensitive and the cell can shrink and be over not be overextended anymore and start to function properly.

Samurai Peat

I don't know why you're getting so much flak. Yours is a legitimate concern. Please do correct me if I'm wrong. Insulin does promote fatty acid synthesis (by promoting Acetyl CoA carboxylase and by inducing fatty acid synthase). Insulin also inhibits hormone-sensitive lipase, the enzyme behind lipolysis. But this is not to say that insulin makes you obese. It also promotes muscle growth. And muscles eat fatty acids during resting state. So overall, it balances out. Insulin resistance over time will cause fat loss and muscle loss. And that is unhealthy

LLight

I think he is really anti-PUFA and he is talking about adipocytes and not the liver.

OccamzRazer

i was reading some articles from high-fat-nutrition.blogspot.com

His view is that insulin sensitivity is making you fat. not other way around. (with study's that confirm this)
With other words: insulin resistance is a good thing
I wondering how peat followers thinks about this.
There are lot of topics here that people complain about lots of hunger and fat gain on low fat high carb diets.
A high insulin sensitivity i probably the cause?

This is actually pretty simple. You want insulin resistant fat cells and insulin sensitive muscle cells. You want your body to partition carbs effectively, to the right places.

This combo = great body composition.

OP
Hgreen56

Hgreen56

This is actually pretty simple. You want insulin resistant fat cells and insulin sensitive muscle cells. You want your body to partition carbs effectively, to the right places.

This combo = great body composition.
i dont think you can make fat cells insulin resistant and at the same time muscle cells insulin sensitive?

Jam

i dont think you can make fat cells insulin resistant and at the same time muscle cells insulin sensitive?
Yes, you can. Dietary long-chain saturated fats, especially stearic acid, have this effect. The longer the chain length, the better.

Jon2547

Yes, yes you can. That is not new information. This is 2021. It is known now that there are insulin receptors in various tissues that can become resistant while in other parts of the body the sensitivity goes up. Please keep up with the knowledge base.

And to the original poster, thank you for bringing up this research.

Sefton10

Yes, you can. Dietary long-chain saturated fats, especially stearic acid, have this effect. The longer the chain length, the better.
Peat was adamant about the positive effects of Stearic and Palmitic acid in the last GE podcast.

OccamzRazer

As others have said...of course you can!! :)

For an example of this, look at the difference in body composition between the following two people. They probably both weigh 180-190 pounds, but they look quite different:

martin.jpg

skinnyfat.jpg

What could explain this disparity better than radically different insulin activity? As a 'storage' hormone, it's clear that insulin is working at very, very different locations here.

How to ensure the right tissues remain insulin sensitive?

The body is an amazing thing, easily trained and very responsive to its energetic demands.

And that means boosting muscle insulin sensitivity while minimizing fat tissue insulin sensitivity is simple.

Eating a diet rich in highly saturated fats is a great start, as others have explained.

Combining such a diet with a form of resistance training you enjoy is the best of both worlds. Just a few minutes of intense exercise can make the muscles involved more insulin sensitive afterwards, allowing any energy intake that follows to be put to good use.

Avoiding PUFA is also critical. In addition to being systemically anti-metabolic, PUFA causes fat tissue to become more insulin sensitive - the opposite of what you want! PUFA's proliferation in the food supply probably explains why even 'thin' people these days are usually just skinny fat.

OccamzRazer

View: https://youtu.be/iYYWbiK8T-A

In this video Paul Saladino talks about the differences between Steric acid which is saturated fat and PUFAs. Essentially saying when you consume pufa it send a signal to fat cells to become insulin sensitive and to keep growing and evolutionarily we would have consumed some nuts and seeds in the fall to get ready for winter and consuming animal fat that has steric acid in it says to the cell become insulin resistant through some sort ros. He explains it better then I do. And cites some studies on steric acid vs pufa

Thank you for pointing this out! Insulin resistance really does need to be mentioned in the context of where it's occurring.

While Saladino brings up some great points, I find it weird he doesn't mention how much his favorite tribe loves eating the baobab seed. Peat has a much more unified view of metabolism IMO.

OccamzRazer

Weight gain is—quite literally—caused when you consume more calories then you burn.
Maybe not such a bad thing if this weight gain comes in the form of muscle.

But of course we need a healthy thyroid and insulin sensitive muscles for that to happen. lol.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals