Insulin Resistance?

PeatFeat

It seems to me that a peat based approach to eating puts you at risk for insulin resistance. Frequent meals, a lot of sugar, little vegetables/fiber. Just a thought. What do you guys think?

Birdie

PeatFeat said:
It seems to me that a peat based approach to eating puts you at risk for insulin resistance. Frequent meals, a lot of sugar, little vegetables/fiber. Just a thought. What do you guys think?

This is a good place to start learning what Dr Peat says on that:

http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/gl ... etes.shtml

I think you'll like it. Good luck!

kettlebell

Insulin resistance doesn't seem to be caused by what most people think it is caused by. It certainly isn't sugar. Unsaturated fat is a major player. His articles explain in great detail whats going on :):

nwo2012

PeatFeat said:

I think that is nonsense. As others have posted, sugar is not a cause of any of the so-called diabetic diseases. But it can go a long way towards curing these.

J

j.

PeatFeat said:

hahahahhahahhahaha

kettlebell

j. said:
PeatFeat said:

hahahahhahahhahaha

Now now J, Dont be nasty. ;) When I first heard of Ray I first thought the above true and was a sugar and saturated fat hater. I, like you had the sense to read into it more, eventually learning about the physiology and how it all works.

We shouldn't laugh at newcomers, don't want to drive them away!

J

j.

sorry about my reaction. i had insulin resistance. so much that i could only eat very moderate amounts of sugar. a little more would make me feel bad. i tried many things and nothing worked very well (vitamin d, chocolate, are supposed to help with insulin resistance). then i started peating and it was gone in 3 months. stopping consumption of PUFAs ended my problems with sugar in 3 months. i became able to eat 10x the amount of sugar i used to, without any discomfort, and my blood sugar now happens to be lower than it's been for years.

J

j.

the body requires less insulin to process fructose than glucose. potassium has an effect that mimics insulin, so the body doesn't have to release as much. from these it follows that natural orange juice is a good source of sugar, relatively easy to process.

kettlebell

Thanks J! Thats very interesting.

then i started peating and it was gone in 3 months. stopping consumption of PUFAs ended my problems with sugar in 3 months. i became able to eat 10x the amount of sugar i used to, without any discomfort, and my blood sugar now happens to be lower than it's been for years.

This stuff works.

Birdie

j. said:
sorry about my reaction. i had insulin resistance. so much that i could only eat very moderate amounts of sugar. a little more would make me feel bad. i tried many things and nothing worked very well (vitamin d, chocolate, are supposed to help with insulin resistance). then i started peating and it was gone in 3 months. stopping consumption of PUFAs ended my problems with sugar in 3 months. i became able to eat 10x the amount of sugar i used to, without any discomfort, and my blood sugar now happens to be lower than it's been for years.
Well, sometimes I do wonder if it's a genuine newcomer. Of course, I ALWAYS assume the best. :) (A joke.)

Birdie

kettlebell said:
j. said:
PeatFeat said:

hahahahhahahhahaha

Now now J, Dont be nasty. ;) When I first heard of Ray I first thought the above true and was a sugar and saturated fat hater. I, like you had the sense to read into it more, eventually learning about the physiology and how it all works.

We shouldn't laugh at newcomers, don't want to drive them away!
:)

OP
P

PeatFeat

Just trying to stimulate some thought provoking conversation! I figured some might be quick to laugh, but don't you think that IR could still be an issue for someone first transitioning into this diet?

cliff

If you have insulin resistance more sugar/fruit will help

J

j.

PeatFeat said:
Just trying to stimulate some thought provoking conversation! I figured some might be quick to laugh, but don't you think that IR could still be an issue for someone first transitioning into this diet?

It was for me. I couldn't eat sweets without feeling bad before I started reducing PUFAs. After 3 months without PUFAs, I was able to eat a lot more sugar. So the first step in a Peat diet for those people I think is to eliminate all significant sources of PUFAs, and then see how much sugar you can take without feeling bad. Every month or so, you might be able to increase your intake.

Birdie

PeatFeat said:
Matt, Do you have this problem or are you just trying to stimulate discussion? I always go back to where Peat says that sucrose is just for emergencies and that he advises fruit. Fruit would have the benefit of other nutrients and maybe be a good way to start.

Of course, what is an emergency situation? Out of fruit.. I always thought that was it. But, maybe certain health problems put you in an emergency situation too.

My understanding is to take small amounts of sugar (fruit?) at a time with protein. As your body eases into it, you'll be able to wait longer between these meals. Milk is good for this.

OP
P

PeatFeat

Birdie said:
PeatFeat said:
Matt, Do you have this problem or are you just trying to stimulate discussion? I always go back to where Peat says that sucrose is just for emergencies and that he advises fruit. Fruit would have the benefit of other nutrients and maybe be a good way to start.

Of course, what is an emergency situation? Out of fruit.. I always thought that was it. But, maybe certain health problems put you in an emergency situation too.

My understanding is to take small amounts of sugar (fruit?) at a time with protein. As your body eases into it, you'll be able to wait longer between these meals. Milk is good for this.

Both, but it's a genuine concern for myself. I don't feel like I am currently insulin resistant, but just worry I might become so If I eat too much sugar and eat very frequently. However, I got most of my calories from fruit over the summer and the first thing I did regarding the Peat diet was reduce PUFA's so that's good. Iv'e never been able to tolerate milk since my acne started so that's not an option rigt now.

nwo2012

PeatFeat said:
Birdie said:
PeatFeat said:

Both, but it's a genuine concern for myself. I don't feel like I am currently insulin resistant, but just worry I might become so If I eat too much sugar and eat very frequently. However, I got most of my calories from fruit over the summer and the first thing I did regarding the Peat diet was reduce PUFA's so that's good. Iv'e never been able to tolerate milk since my acne started so that's not an option rigt now.

Acne could be a Vit A deficiency. Try it with milk.
This WOE does NOT cause insulin resistance, that is purely nonsense.

Birdie

Birdie said:
PeatFeat said:

Where I said sucrose, read table sugar/white sugar. When I say sugar, I can mean fruit or white or honey or etc, so I'm trying to say white sugar or table sugar for the emergency stuff, to be clear.

Also, of course, Ray never means to use fruit in coffee, so I assume that table sugar in coffee is always okay and not just for emergencies. I'm just thinking... But, still, in keeping with the spirit of things, I use honey in coffee whenever I can. For me that is in lattes, not brewed coffee, for taste reasons.

I get a lot of my sugar from orange juice and next comes fruit. It is easier to get more sugar from fruit in the summer. We're using canned fruit now. Canned with sugar and water only. Comes in glass. It helps to bake it, taste wise.

OP
P

PeatFeat

nwo2012 said:
Acne could be a Vit A deficiency. Try it with milk.
This WOE does NOT cause insulin resistance, that is purely nonsense.
WOE? Are you saying that taking Vit A supplement with milk would help with the bad reaction to milk?
I plan on eventually trying milk again, but I have to wait so I can test it properly. Every time I've started milk again in the past I just start getting cystic acne again.

OP
P

PeatFeat

Birdie said:
Where I said sucrose, read table sugar/white sugar. When I say sugar, I can mean fruit or white or honey or etc, so I'm trying to say white sugar or table sugar for the emergency stuff, to be clear.

Also, of course, Ray never means to use fruit in coffee, so I assume that table sugar in coffee is always okay and not just for emergencies. I'm just thinking... But, still, in keeping with the spirit of things, I use honey in coffee whenever I can. For me that is in lattes, not brewed coffee, for taste reasons.

I get a lot of my sugar from orange juice and next comes fruit. It is easier to get more sugar from fruit in the summer. We're using canned fruit now. Canned with sugar and water only. Comes in glass. It helps to bake it, taste wise.

Yes I will try to maximize fruit as much as possible this winter. My plan is OJ, cooked/peeled apples, bananas in moderation, some fresh oranges if tolerated (stomach pain), and occasional frozen berries. What about pineapple juice? I always loved me some orange/pineapple juice combo.