Instant Mashed Potatoes with Gelatin?

jack27

I'm thinking of different ways to consume more gelatin and had the idea of adding it to some Bob's Red Mill Instant Mashed potatoes. Very easy dish, just add boiling water to both and stir for a minute. Has anyone else tried anything similar? I tried to see if there are any known problems with instant potatoes but I can't find anything specific.

Might also experiment with masa harina and gelatin

I'm thinking of different ways to consume more gelatin and had the idea of adding it to some Bob's Red Mill Instant Mashed potatoes. Very easy dish, just add boiling water to both and stir for a minute. Has anyone else tried anything similar? I tried to see if there are any known problems with instant potatoes but I can't find anything specific.

Might also experiment with masa harina and gelatin
That sounds like a sticky gloppy mess. Besides RP doesn’t recommend instant mashed potatoes. I have been using gelatin in watery soups in leu of flour and cornstarch. Here are two I thickened with gelatin recently and posted the recipes for on the thread linked below. I have also used it with good success making homemade ice cream in leu of the cream and egg yolks. It makes it softer right out of the freezer too.

Attachments

• 9F5C642D-AE9B-4AC2-9CED-61C7F2C92E47.jpeg
    9F5C642D-AE9B-4AC2-9CED-61C7F2C92E47.jpeg
    365.8 KB · Views: 14
  • 4E8E5A12-3075-4DE9-BCFB-4CEED630B248.jpeg
    4E8E5A12-3075-4DE9-BCFB-4CEED630B248.jpeg
    396.8 KB · Views: 13
OP
J

jack27

That sounds like a sticky gloppy mess. Besides RP doesn’t recommend instant mashed potatoes. I have been using gelatin in watery soups in leu of flour and cornstarch. Here are two I thickened with gelatin recently and posted the recipes for on the thread linked below. I have also used it with good success making homemade ice cream in leu of the cream and egg yolks. It makes it softer right out of the freezer too.

Thanks. What's the problem with instant potatoes, is there some reason they would be worse than fresh potatoes?

Thanks. What's the problem with instant potatoes, is there some reason they would be worse than fresh potatoes?
Yes because of oxidation. I posted his response in one of the survival threads earlier this year.

Even the best one that I have found, which is organic, has bad oil and preservatives.

Attachments

• EE8AEADF-5E41-4478-8E6A-377EF6A59434.jpeg
    EE8AEADF-5E41-4478-8E6A-377EF6A59434.jpeg
    506.7 KB · Views: 19
OP
J

jack27

Even the best one that I have found, which is organic, has bad oil and preservatives.
Bobs Red Mill instant potato flakes is only dehydrated potatoes, no oils, although it's not organic.

fwiw I made a bowl of potato flakes and 2 tbsp great lakes gelatin with boiling water, used a lot of water so it turned out kind of like potato soup, most of the gelatin dissolved fine though next time I will dissolve the gelatin in warm water first. Added 1 tbsp butter and some salt, a nice simple way to get carbs and protein. will experiment with adding more ingredients in the future

Attachments

• Potato-Flakes-by-Bobs-Red-Mill-Image-2.png
    Potato-Flakes-by-Bobs-Red-Mill-Image-2.png
    566.5 KB · Views: 8

:M :B.

Bobs Red Mill instant potato flakes is only dehydrated potatoes, no oils, although it's not organic.

fwiw I made a bowl of potato flakes and 2 tbsp great lakes gelatin with boiling water, used a lot of water so it turned out kind of like potato soup, most of the gelatin dissolved fine though next time I will dissolve the gelatin in warm water first. Added 1 tbsp butter and some salt, a nice simple way to get carbs and protein. will experiment with adding more ingredients in the future
Funny I stocked up on Bob's Red Mill potatoes for survival food. I also trolled them a little for not using organic potatoes. I was trying to get them to tell me exactly what farm they come from so that I could call them and chat, but of course no.

They did tell me they are dehydrated at 220F. Hopefully that temp helped to dextrinize them a bit.
Bummed to hear they have some oxidation issues. Better than starving though.
Good idea on trying to get some gelatin in there with the potatoes. I will give that a shot one of these days. Survival practice.

I think the pesticides in the non-organic potatoes is worse than the minuscule bit of PUFA in the organic ones.

Funny I stocked up on Bob's Red Mill potatoes for survival food. I also trolled them a little for not using organic potatoes. I was trying to get them to tell me exactly what farm they come from so that I could call them and chat, but of course no.

They did tell me they are dehydrated at 220F. Hopefully that temp helped to dextrinize them a bit.
Bummed to hear they have some oxidation issues. Better than starving though.
Good idea on trying to get some gelatin in there with the potatoes. I will give that a shot one of these days. Survival practice.

Yeah better than starving is right.