insomnia from caffeine disappears on fruitarian diet

Jennifer

hey guys, yes update due.......

so about a week before easter i was craving some milk after a few months of not having any, and I ended up drinking milk about 9 days in a row, and this really seemed to reverse all the progress i had made. I am now back to around 93 kilos The lowest i got doing the diet was 89.5 kilos. And i started at around 99 kilos. so im still in a good position but slightly annoying to have taken a step back.

Ive cut out milk again and back to just ripe fruits, cheese, meat, nuts - as detailed previously - i expect ill get back to around 89 within a month or so.

My theory about the milk is that although its not inherently nutritionally bad, the whey in it causes huge insulin spikes, leading to more cravings and higher overall food consumption. Possibly the estrogen in it causes more water retention as well but im not sure.

let me know how you're all getting on

Aww...I’m sorry to hear the milk set you back. It seems we all react differently to it. I had a lot of issues with dairy in the past, but weight gain was never one of them. I’ve always struggled to gain fat with it, actually—I’m even leaner now than I was on the fruitarian diet. Anyhow, it’s good that you’ve figured out milk is a problem for you and know which foods treat you best. That was the most challenging part for me.

Do you mean a lower back injury affected the gut and if so how if you can give details? You also mentioned frequent urination at night etc, do you say there is a connection?

Yep, the back injury affects my gut. Half of my spinal column collapsed in my 20s due to advanced osteoporosis and I lost 4” of space in my midsection so my intestines are squished some, essentially. Because of this, fiber can easily back up in my intestines, making me susceptible to bacterial overgrowths/SIBO until I reverse the damage. So far, I’ve built back 1”. The connection with the frequent urination (hypoglycemia) and the back injury/osteoporosis is chronic hypothyroidism that went untreated.

Ismail

Very interesting thanks for sharing
You're very welcome :)

Have you tried having coffee later (i.e. around 6pm) more than once to see how this change in diet is definitely beneficial?

Ismail

They sure are! They’re my favorite variety. :)
Hehe my favourite too! Close second is the medjool dates ;)

If you mix approx 5-7 sukkari dates in a blender with milk, it tastes super yummy - okay I'm hungry! lol!

Jennifer

Hehe my favourite too! Close second is the medjool dates ;)

If you mix approx 5-7 sukkari dates in a blender with milk, it tastes super yummy - okay I'm hungry! lol!

Oh, how funny! That’s exactly how I make my milkshakes. It seems you and I have similar tastes. Haha!

nitro warrior

Yep, the back injury affects my gut. Half of my spinal column collapsed in my 20s due to advanced osteoporosis and I lost 4” of space in my midsection so my intestines are squished some, essentially. Because of this, fiber can easily back up in my intestines, making me susceptible to bacterial overgrowths/SIBO until I reverse the damage. So far, I’ve built back 1”. The connection with the frequent urination (hypoglycemia) and the back injury/osteoporosis is chronic hypothyroidism that went untreated.
That resonates with me although your injury sounds severe.. I have a seemingly mild one and felt it affected gut but dr's would dismiss it. Frequent urinations seem triggered from straining the area sometimes but are mostly gone by staying away from starch. My theory is starch bloats the intestine which then pushes on some hernia or something which causes issues, does that make sense? Or maybe its squished as you say so when it bloats it pushes on it self which is "suffocating"? Problem is on the lower left side. Did you get any "proof"/diagnosis for the intestinal effects of the injury/does it show on mri or something? How you go about reversing damage? And you mean freq urination isn't directly connected with injury but are just both chronic hypo results?

Jennifer

That resonates with me although your injury sounds severe.. I have a seemingly mild one and felt it affected gut but dr's would dismiss it. Frequent urinations seem triggered from straining the area sometimes but are mostly gone by staying away from starch. My theory is starch bloats the intestine which then pushes on some hernia or something which causes issues, does that make sense? Or maybe its squished as you say so when it bloats it pushes on it self which is "suffocating"? Problem is on the lower left side. Did you get any "proof"/diagnosis for the intestinal effects of the injury/does it show on mri or something? How you go about reversing damage? And you mean freq urination isn't directly connected with injury but are just both chronic hypo results?

Yes, that makes sense. I’ve experienced a frequent urge to pee when bloated or constipated and suspected it might be due to pressure on the bladder so your theory seems plausible to me. When you say the problem is on the lower left side, do you mean you feel pain there? Have you had imaging done on that area and if so, is there a physical injury like herniation, fracturing, disc degeneration etc. or is it more like sciatica? As far as I know, the physical injury wasn’t the cause of my frequent urination since I still have the injury but no longer pee frequently, and in regards to proof, I’m not sure if the compressed intestines showed up on my MRIs or other imaging, but an obstructed bowel did. I just know that it’s a known common complication of a severe kyphosis:

Complications​

In addition to causing back pain, kyphosis may cause:
  • Breathing problems. Severe kyphosis can put pressure on the lungs.
  • Limited physical functions. Kyphosis is associated with weakened back muscles and difficulty doing tasks such as walking and getting out of chairs. The spinal curvature can also make it difficult to gaze upward or drive and can cause pain when you lie down.
  • Digestive problems. Severe kyphosis can compress the digestive tract, causing problems such as acid reflux and difficulty with swallowing.
  • Body image problems. People with kyphosis, especially adolescents, may develop a poor body image from having a rounded back or from wearing a brace to correct the condition. For older people, poor body image can lead to social isolation.

I’m attempting to reverse the damage through stress-reducing activities, a diet that focuses on supporting my thyroid/parathyroid glands and keeping serotonin low—the one listed below in my signature—and thyroid supplementation.

dukesbobby777

I'm from the UK so can confirm absolutely no difference compared to Germany. As I say I eat a lot of fruits that peat doesn't recommend- Bananas etc. I think the main thing is you have to enjoy eating fruit and I love fruit!
Yeah I think my main issue is being able to digest the fruits. Nothing gives me more intense endotoxin reactions than eating piles of fruit. Even starch is a walk in the park compared to trying to eat significant amounts of fruit. It must be the fibres. I mean, Peat recommends avoiding most fruits based on those digestibility/fiber issues (hence his guidance on drinking his approved fruit juices). That’s not to say eating the real whole fruits isn’t possible because obviously many fruitarians eat pounds of this stuff every single day (without issues, as they perceive anyway). I wish I was able to do that.

I do believe food combining philosophies comes into it. Mixing animal products with fruits, for sure, always results in bad outcomes for me.

Last edited:

dukesbobby777

Where are you getting your fruit from? Both M&S and Waitrose do good quality fruit

You’re probably right brother. Well, depends on where I am residing. At the moment I am living in a town where I tend to shop in Lidls quite often (for pricing purposes). I have shopped in those places you’ve mentioned before and yes, they do seem to be of higher quality. But I still have the awful digestibility issues. Like I said in the post above, I just think it comes down the fibers, that seem to be amazing food for my gut bugs (and not in a good way, by way of how it affects me).

jet9

Yeah I think my main issue is being able to digest the fruits. Nothing gives me more intense endotoxin reactions than eating piles of fruit. Even starch is a walk in the park compared to trying to eat significant amounts of fruit. It must be the fibres. I mean, Peat recommends avoiding most fruits based on those digestibility/fiber issues (hence his guidance on drinking his approved fruit juices). That’s not to say eating the real whole fruits isn’t possible because obviously many fruitarians eat pounds of this stuff every single day (without issues, as they perceive anyway). I wish I was able to do that.

I do believe food combining philosophies comes into it. Mixing animal products with fruits, for sure, always results in bad outcomes for me.
what are your food staples now? I noticed my fruit tolerance greatly effected by foods i eat. Saturated fat particularly makes me tolerate fruits MUCH worse for about 24-36 hours after eating it. (say big meal of read fatty meat). Grains are another one. (but grains make everything worse for me...)

Cara

@ddjd
What has worked best for me has been a fruitarian/ carnivore diet. All I eat is whole fruit, dried fruit, frozen fruit, fruit juice, some vegetables and meat, seafood and fat sources. When I eat my meals I eat the fruit based foods first, then I wait about 15 minutes and I eat the meat/ seafood/ cooked vegetables/ fat based foods. As much as I first thought that the food combining rules were BS, I eventually found out through experimentation that fruit digest very fast, and it digest best by itself. Plus, too much fluids seem to hamper digestion of proteins/ fats, where they dont cause an issue for fruits.

An example meal for me is:
1) 16oz of 100% pineapple juice
2) 2.5oz of dried persimmon
3) 1 raw carrot peeled

wait 15 minutes for that to digest

4) 4oz of steak with macadmia nut oil drizzled on top. (a lot of times I also add some cooked vegetable here like cooked zucchini [technically a fruit], cooked carrots, cooked broccoli)

I've been eating this way for a few years now and have resolved alot of issues. I dont tolerate starches, grains, beans, nuts, seeds, or dairy well at all. They all leave me bloated, brain foggy, on a blood sugar roller coaster and/ or with joint pain.
this is my basic approach and tweaking as i go:

DAY 1:
- fruit only: sweet oranges, ripe bananas, pears, blueberries, apples, mangos - any fruit fine really
(my fruit options in germany arent that great so just any fruit is fine)
- regular salt, magnesium, b1, b3 niacinamide,

DAY 2:
same as above with addition of:
- an evening meal consisting of various: eggs, lamb or beef, hard cheese, dark chocolate, a few nuts

basically avoiding ALL starch, grains, gluten, wheat (yes i know nuts are starch)

AND REPEAT

lost 5 kilos in 10 days so far. Probably a lot of that water weight and now it might get harder to lose weight. i might change the proteinous evening meal to once every 3 days perhaps.
@ddjd
What has worked best for me has been a fruitarian/ carnivore diet. All I eat is whole fruit, dried fruit, frozen fruit, fruit juice, some vegetables and meat, seafood and fat sources. When I eat my meals I eat the fruit based foods first, then I wait about 15 minutes and I eat the meat/ seafood/ cooked vegetables/ fat based foods. As much as I first thought that the food combining rules were BS, I eventually found out through experimentation that fruit digest very fast, and it digest best by itself. Plus, too much fluids seem to hamper digestion of proteins/ fats, where they dont cause an issue for fruits.

An example meal for me is:
1) 16oz of 100% pineapple juice
2) 2.5oz of dried persimmon
3) 1 raw carrot peeled

wait 15 minutes for that to digest

4) 4oz of steak with macadmia nut oil drizzled on top. (a lot of times I also add some cooked vegetable here like cooked zucchini [technically a fruit], cooked carrots, cooked broccoli)

I've been eating this way for a few years now and have resolved alot of issues. I dont tolerate starches, grains, beans, nuts, seeds, or dairy well at all. They all leave me bloated, brain foggy, on a blood sugar roller coaster and/ or with joint pain.
I feel the exact same way with all of the above and agree with the food combining for optimal digestion and following fruit/carnivore.

nitro warrior

Yes, that makes sense. I’ve experienced a frequent urge to pee when bloated or constipated and suspected it might be due to pressure on the bladder so your theory seems plausible to me. When you say the problem is on the lower left side, do you mean you feel pain there? Have you had imaging done on that area and if so, is there a physical injury like herniation, fracturing, disc degeneration etc. or is it more like sciatica? As far as I know, the physical injury wasn’t the cause of my frequent urination since I still have the injury but no longer pee frequently, and in regards to proof, I’m not sure if the compressed intestines showed up on my MRIs or other imaging, but an obstructed bowel did. I just know that it’s a known common complication of a severe kyphosis:

Complications​

In addition to causing back pain, kyphosis may cause:
  • Breathing problems. Severe kyphosis can put pressure on the lungs.
  • Limited physical functions. Kyphosis is associated with weakened back muscles and difficulty doing tasks such as walking and getting out of chairs. The spinal curvature can also make it difficult to gaze upward or drive and can cause pain when you lie down.
  • Digestive problems. Severe kyphosis can compress the digestive tract, causing problems such as acid reflux and difficulty with swallowing.
  • Body image problems. People with kyphosis, especially adolescents, may develop a poor body image from having a rounded back or from wearing a brace to correct the condition. For older people, poor body image can lead to social isolation.

I’m attempting to reverse the damage through stress-reducing activities, a diet that focuses on supporting my thyroid/parathyroid glands and keeping serotonin low—the one listed below in my signature—and thyroid supplementation.
Yes some pain and snapping going on. Only had x-ray which didn't show a thing and the hernia part is just a thought maybe it ain't that at all (no visible bump anywhere). I think there is some misalignment which causes issues. Banishing starch resolves freq urination and intestine distress, I wonder if the issue is starch itself or the intestinal bloating it produces crossing over with the orthopedic problem though and what you described makes the latter seem all the more plausible.

Jennifer

Yes some pain and snapping going on. Only had x-ray which didn't show a thing and the hernia part is just a thought maybe it ain't that at all (no visible bump anywhere). I think there is some misalignment which causes issues. Banishing starch resolves freq urination and intestine distress, I wonder if the issue is starch itself or the intestinal bloating it produces crossing over with the orthopedic problem though and what you described makes the latter seem all the more plausible.

Hmm...it could be either one or even a combination of the two—starch triggering low blood sugar resulting in frequent urination (is your pee typically clear when this happens?) and starch causing bloating which creates pressure.

CoolTweetPete

This is fascinating to me. I have considered trying a fruitarian diet as I’ve heard very good things. I always worried about my salt/protein intake dropping too low, but I think I have solutions for that. I am inspired to give it a shot! Thank you!

Vileplume

This is fascinating to me. I have considered trying a fruitarian diet as I’ve heard very good things. I always worried about my salt/protein intake dropping too low, but I think I have solutions for that. I am inspired to give it a shot! Thank you!
What fruit options do you go for in the Bay Area? I’m in Nevada County but probably have similar grocery stores. Nothing is ripe! Except Costco has good oranges.

nitro warrior

Hmm...it could be either one or even a combination of the two—starch triggering low blood sugar resulting in frequent urination (is your pee typically clear when this happens?) and starch causing bloating which creates pressure.
Yes clear, was yours too? Dehydration was also part of it with low or high fluid intake being irrelevant. Weird thing is a person on the forum recently requested advice about the same symptoms and I thought I know exactly what he need to do, he had starch in his diet so I advised to try eliminating it for a week or so to see if it helps but he say it didn't. I wonder what is the connection then. I mentioned the possibility of lower back playing a role but says has no issue there.

OP
ddjd

ddjd

I often sprinkle some salt on the fruit. It's quite common in tropical countries to do this

Jennifer

Yes clear, was yours too? Dehydration was also part of it with low or high fluid intake being irrelevant. Weird thing is a person on the forum recently requested advice about the same symptoms and I thought I know exactly what he need to do, he had starch in his diet so I advised to try eliminating it for a week or so to see if it helps but he say it didn't. I wonder what is the connection then. I mentioned the possibility of lower back playing a role but says has no issue there.

Yep, mine was clear too. Hmm...could protein, particularly specific ones and/or too much of it without enough carbs, be crashing his blood sugar? For me, I found that certain proteins were triggering the hypoglycemia/frequent urination.