insomnia from caffeine disappears on fruitarian diet

Jennifer

Did you stay in a fruitarian diet for 5 years?
I followed the diet from roughly 2006 to 2009 and again from roughly 2015 to 2019, this time out of necessity—it was all I tolerated at the time due to a gut infection (SIBO) that was misdiagnosed and went untreated for a decade.
@Jennifer could you please share a little bit more on your approach to protein intake and how you avoid crashing your blood sugar
@Jennifer - which proteins are working for you?
Milk, cheese and gelatin are the only proteins that don’t crash my blood sugar, but I should note that dairy was my least tolerated food while I had the gut infection. I used to get a bleeding rash all over my face, burning in my intestines, bloating, severe brain fog, depression and throat swelling, all within minutes of consuming any dairy so it’s still a bit surreal to me that along with ripe fruit, it’s now my most healing food, especially since tests showed I was dairy intolerant.

Back in 2019, after 3+ years of fruitarianism, I reintroduced meat/seafood, gelatin and eggs and knowing what I know now, the hypoglycemia returned and after 6 months, I started having daily adrenaline attacks so severe I would go into convulsions and unable to breathe, would pass out. After 6 months of this I had turned blue, was so exhausted and defeated that I went a day without eating and finally figured out that the attacks were caused by meat and eggs crashing my blood sugar, which explained why I experienced so many improvements on an arguably deficient fruitarian diet.

Clearing the gut infection was huge for me as I had a similar experience to CLASH in that I had to consume my fruit before my proteins to prevent digestive issues, something I never had to do prior to the infection. Now I feel best on mixed meals of skimmed goat’s milk, salty goat cheese and simple sugars from raw fruit/juice, raw honey, and raw coconut water when ripe fruit isn’t available as I’ve learned over the last 15 years of eating fruit-based that fruit is only good for me when it’s truly ripe. I find my blood sugar is most stable, and I feel my best overall, on a carb to protein ratio of roughly 4:1.
Just want to say this thread has been inspirational to me, thanks @ddjd @CLASH @Jennifer I’m gonna make a few dietary tweaks after reading this
My pleasure! :) I hope the dietary tweaks help.

CLASH

I followed the diet from roughly 2006 to 2009 and again from roughly 2015 to 2019, this time out of necessity—it was all I tolerated at the time due to a gut infection (SIBO) that was misdiagnosed and went untreated for a decade.

Milk, cheese and gelatin are the only proteins that don’t crash my blood sugar, but I should note that dairy was my least tolerated food while I had the gut infection. I used to get a bleeding rash all over my face, burning in my intestines, bloating, severe brain fog, depression and throat swelling, all within minutes of consuming any dairy so it’s still a bit surreal to me that along with ripe fruit, it’s now my most healing food, especially since tests showed I was dairy intolerant.

Back in 2019, after 3+ years of fruitarianism, I reintroduced meat/seafood, gelatin and eggs and knowing what I know now, the hypoglycemia returned and after 6 months, I started having daily adrenaline attacks so severe I would go into convulsions and unable to breathe, would pass out. After 6 months of this I had turned blue, was so exhausted and defeated that I went a day without eating and finally figured out that the attacks were caused by meat and eggs crashing my blood sugar, which explained why I experienced so many improvements on an arguably deficient fruitarian diet.

Clearing the gut infection was huge for me as I had a similar experience to CLASH in that I had to consume my fruit before my proteins to prevent digestive issues, something I never had to do prior to the infection. Now I feel best on mixed meals of skimmed goat’s milk, salty goat cheese and simple sugars from raw fruit/juice, raw honey, and raw coconut water when ripe fruit isn’t available as I’ve learned over the last 15 years of eating fruit-based that fruit is only good for me when it’s truly ripe. I find my blood sugar is most stable, and I feel my best overall, on a carb to protein ratio of roughly 4:1.

What did you do to clear your gut infection?

Jennifer

What did you do to clear your gut infection?
I started supplementing NDT (WP Thyroid, at the time), was put on two rounds of rifaximin (550mg 3x a day for a total of 1 month) and took some herbal anti-microbials, but didn’t experience improvements until I cut out all fiber, and I wouldn’t have been able to cut out fiber without the NDT aiding my peristalsis. I had already been eating a diet of whole fruit, seafood and coconut products (water and fat) and all I did was start juicing all my fruit and that did the trick.

gaze

i too have found eggs and meat to be the number 1 worse type of foods for blood sugar control. i find all forms of dairy, and shellfish to be easy to handle. now that your gut is better, do you have any desire to start trying to add back in rice, potatos, possibly some soaked whole grains, etc? or have you experimented with those before and it always ends up bad ?

T

TheBeard

since my teenage years ive had general problems falling asleep, and when i started drinking regular coffee about ten years ago I always had to be very careful not to drink anything caffeinated later than 1-2pm because i would ALWAYS get terrible insomnia.

I've been experimenting with a fruitarian diet for the past 2 weeks for weight loss benefits and also noticed my sleep has improved significantly despite sometimes drinking coffee as late as 6pm!!! this is unbelievable for me!

so surely that means for whatever reason fats are causing my liver serious problems with regards to processing things like caffeine. i have long suspected that my issues are related to fat digestion and perhaps fatty liver being a main issue. but i never would have guessed going fat free would solve my sleep problems.

for any other people with insomnia issues, particularly after caffeine, it might be worth trying fat free and/or fruit only!

Going fat free isn't the solution. Cleaning your liver is
Do a few liver flushes, you should feel better.

OP
ddjd

ddjd

Going fat free isn't the solution. Cleaning your liver is
Do a few liver flushes, you should feel better.
maybe you didnt read rest of the thread- im eating one evening meal of either steak, eggs or cheese every 2 days now

@tankasnowgod yes i did about a week just fruitarian and noticed all the sleep, digestion benefits. i would say its still predominantly fruitarian - in every 48 hour period im constantly just eating fruit and then every other day the one evening meal fat/protein

jet9

i too have found eggs and meat to be the number 1 worse type of foods for blood sugar control. i find all forms of dairy, and shellfish to be easy to handle. now that your gut is better, do you have any desire to start trying to add back in rice, potatos, possibly some soaked whole grains, etc? or have you experimented with those before and it always ends up bad ?
+1 to shellfish

T

TheBeard

maybe you didnt read rest of the thread- im eating one evening meal of either steak, eggs or cheese every 2 days now

@tankasnowgod yes i did about a week just fruitarian and noticed all the sleep, digestion benefits. i would say its still predominantly fruitarian - in every 48 hour period im constantly just eating fruit and then every other day the one evening meal fat/protein

My comment still holds.
Look into the liver flush protocole by Andreas Morritz

OP
ddjd

ddjd

My comment still holds.
Look into the liver flush protocole by Andreas Morritz
I've done about 5 moritz flushs over last two years. no lasting change. what's the point of doing a liver flush, getting temporary benefits and then going back to foods that caused the inflammation in the first place. i need a long term diet solution, designed for my body similar to what @Jennifer has figured out for herself

Jennifer

No, aside from the occasional banana and grilled corn on the cob, I have no desire for starchy foods. I’ve experimented with tubers and grains as recently as this past November and though I tolerated them well enough, because of all the benefits I experienced on a fruitarian diet, I now know what is possible and optimal for me in terms of my health that I’m no longer willing to compromise on certain things if I don’t have to and one of those things is having certain health markers met with only the foods I truly enjoy and honestly, starch isn’t one of them. With the addition of goat dairy, I retain all the benefits I experienced while on a fruitarian diet, benefits I had no idea were even possible because they challenge what is often considered normal, while optimizing other health markers I wasn’t able to on a fruitarian diet.

gaze

No, aside from the occasional banana and grilled corn on the cob, I have no desire for starchy foods. I’ve experimented with tubers and grains as recently as this past November and though I tolerated them well enough, because of all the benefits I experienced on a fruitarian diet, I now know what is possible and optimal for me in terms of my health that I’m no longer willing to compromise on certain things if I don’t have to and one of those things is having certain health markers met with only the foods I truly enjoy and honestly, starch isn’t one of them. With the addition of goat dairy, I retain all the benefits I experienced while on a fruitarian diet, benefits I had no idea were even possible because they challenge what is often considered normal, while optimizing other health markers I wasn’t able to on a fruitarian diet.
Interesting. thank you. I can say for myself as well I have 0 enjoyment from taste of starch now that I eat as much sugar as I can fit throughout the day, especially if it's not combined with other foods. All peat foods however I can eat on their own and enjoy the taste, although I try to combine them. The biggest thing I miss about eating starch is related to what @CLASH said, having to always be thinking about food and constantly eating when having to eat 400g of carbs from fruit. I remember back when I knew nothing about health, my meals would be around 600-1000 calories each, a big chipotle bowl with double rice and double meat, jersey mike sandwhiches with chips and cookie on the side, burgers with fries etc. I miss the feeling of stomach satiation and then not having to eat again for a good amount of hours. On a fruit based diet my biggest meals in one sitting are at most 3-400 calories, and I can only reach the 800-1000 calorie mark with ice cream or alot of butter, although that doesn't create the same sense of fullness as starch does. Of course, now when I eat a bunch of starch I feel worse so I definitely enjoy the fruit how it makes me feel, I just miss the "ignorance is bliss" days of being able to eat more in one sitting and less often. (also weight gain was never an issue with me, even when I was eating the starch+pufa fast food meals, ive always been too skinny. Starch makes me feel bad mentally however, which is why I avoid it)

Last edited:

Vins7

What type of benefits do you mean? It's really interesting. I have noticed really difficult and large digestion when I base my diet with animal protein and fats and I think that fruit it's really easy to digest for me, the problem for me is the low amount of calories of a fruitarian diet, even if I drink juices.

Jennifer

Interesting. thank you. I can say for myself as well I have 0 enjoyment from taste of starch now that I eat as much sugar as I can fit throughout the day, especially if it's not combined with other foods. All peat foods however I can eat on their own and enjoy the taste, although I try to combine them. The biggest thing I miss about eating starch is related to what @CLASH said, having to always be thinking about food and constantly eating when having to eat 400g of carbs from fruit. I remember back when I knew nothing about health, my meals would be around 600-1000 calories each, a big chipotle bowl with double rice and double meat, jersey mike sandwhiches with chips and cookie on the side, burgers with fries etc. I miss the feeling of stomach satiation and then not having to eat again for a good amount of hours. On a fruit based diet my biggest meals in one sitting are at most 3-400 calories, and I can only reach the 800-1000 calorie mark with ice cream or alot of butter, although that doesn't create the same sense of fullness as starch does. Of course, now when I eat a bunch of starch I feel worse so I definitely enjoy the fruit how it makes me feel, I just miss the "ignorance is bliss" days of being able to eat more in one sitting and less often. (also weight gain was never an issue with me, even when I was eating the starch+pufa fast food meals, ive always been too skinny. Starch makes me feel bad mentally however, which is why I avoid it)
I can totally understand that as I’ve noticed on the forum that lack of satiety on a fruit-based diet is a common complaint. Do you tolerate cheese, juice and/or dried fruit? Due to complications stemming from a pretty severe back injury I suffered, I try to keep my fiber intake low, but here’s a fairly typical day of eating for me and rough calorie counts:

BREAKFAST
  • 1 liter skimmed goat’s milk (400 calories)
  • 2 TBSP raw honey (120 calories)
LUNCH
  • 1/2 liter of skimmed goat’s milk (200 calories)
  • 1 liter of fresh pressed juice (400 calories)
  • 28g of salty goat cheese (75 calories)
  • 1 heirloom tomato with salt and pepper (40 calories)
  • 100g sukkari dates (280 calories)
DINNER
  • 1/2 liter of skimmed goat’s milk (200 calories)
  • 1 liter of fresh pressed juice (400 calories)
  • 28g of salty goat cheese (75 calories)
  • 1 large heirloom tomato with salt and pepper (40 calories)
  • 50g of freeze-dried fruits—mango, dragon fruit and jackfruit (200 calories)
Sometimes I eat more, especially around my period, but I don’t usually eat more than 2,500 calories most days now. I can relate to being thin no matter which foods are eaten. I used to need over 3,000 calories daily prior to adding the goat dairy and supplementing NDT, and I’m on the smaller side (45kg) and not very active, at least not enough to warrant needing that many calories. Anyhow, I hope you find a way of eating that doesn’t require you to sacrifice satiety or feeling good. :)

Jennifer

What type of benefits do you mean? It's really interesting. I have noticed really difficult and large digestion when I base my diet with animal protein and fats and I think that fruit it's really easy to digest for me, the problem for me is the low amount of calories of a fruitarian diet, even if I drink juices.
I’m sorry to hear that. Is that with all animal protein? I find with basing my diet on goat dairy and lower fiber, I eliminate easily and the volume is drastically reduced. I go 3 times a day, but there’s hardly much volume.

These are some of the benefits I’ve experienced (some are additional improvements since adding the goat dairy):
  • Excellent and stable moods most days—happy and peaceful
  • Excellent digestion—a pain-free and silent gut that is just as flat by the end of the day as it is first thing in the morning (I’ve measured it lol), tongue stays pink, BMs about an hour after every meal, easy to pass, leave no residue and are odorless
  • Perfect sleep—I no longer have night terrors, and I fall asleep within 5 minutes and wake on average 8 hours later refreshed and excited to start the day
  • Excellent energy levels—I feel a lightness in my body and energized all day
  • Excellent hormone levels—low prolactin, low estrogen, high progesterone (averages more than 10x that of estrogen), low PTH, Ray approved thyroid numbers etc.
  • Uneventful periods—the only things I experience are a spike in my libido and appetite, and mild bleeding for a couple days
  • Healthy temps—98.2+ upon waking and 98.6+ during the day with warm extremities
  • Stable blood pressure—averages 118/70 on both arms
  • Stable blood sugar—no frequent urination, waking at night to pee, energy slumps, adrenaline attacks, depression, anxiety etc.
  • Strong immunity—no colds/flus etc. even when everyone around me is sick
  • Absolutely no body odor—no deodorant needed even when perspiring
  • Excellent skin health—I got my pre-illness porcelain skin back—no more SIBO redness, just clear, baby soft and well hydrated even in winter
  • Excellent oral health—no dry mouth, morning breath or tooth sensitivity, teeth stay squeaky clean from morning till night and tongue and gums are a healthy shade of pink
  • Improved body composition—I regained muscle I hadn’t realized had atrophied on a fruitarian diet without any effort, and despite weighing the same as I did then, my clothes are much looser, especially in the waist—my measurements are the same as they were when I was highly active and climbing mountains every weekend
  • No body pain most days and quick recovery if I get a little out of hand with dancing
  • No more daily migraines and subsequent vomiting
  • Clear mind
  • Healthy libido
  • Gained back full sensation in a toe that had been numb for years, something not even B12 shots and supps. were able to fix
That’s all I can think of right now. The only thing left to improve really is my spine. My hope is that it’s even possible.

T

TheBeard

I've done about 5 moritz flushs over last two years. no lasting change. what's the point of doing a liver flush, getting temporary benefits and then going back to foods that caused the inflammation in the first place. i need a long term diet solution, designed for my body similar to what @Jennifer has figured out for herself

By squeezing the gallblader clean you create a virtuous circle where more bile can be secreted to aid in digestion and proper gut flora establishment.

OP
ddjd

ddjd

I’m sorry to hear that. Is that with all animal protein? I find with basing my diet on goat dairy and lower fiber, I eliminate easily and the volume is drastically reduced. I go 3 times a day, but there’s hardly much volume.

These are some of the benefits I’ve experienced (some are additional improvements since adding the goat dairy):
  • Excellent and stable moods most days—happy and peaceful
  • Excellent digestion—a pain-free and silent gut that is just as flat by the end of the day as it is first thing in the morning (I’ve measured it lol), tongue stays pink, BMs about an hour after every meal, easy to pass, leave no residue and are odorless
  • Perfect sleep—I no longer have night terrors, and I fall asleep within 5 minutes and wake on average 8 hours later refreshed and excited to start the day
  • Excellent energy levels—I feel a lightness in my body and energized all day
  • Excellent hormone levels—low prolactin, low estrogen, high progesterone (averages more than 10x that of estrogen), low PTH, Ray approved thyroid numbers etc.
  • Uneventful periods—the only things I experience are a spike in my libido and appetite, and mild bleeding for a couple days
  • Healthy temps—98.2+ upon waking and 98.6+ during the day with warm extremities
  • Stable blood pressure—averages 118/70 on both arms
  • Stable blood sugar—no frequent urination, waking at night to pee, energy slumps, adrenaline attacks, depression, anxiety etc.
  • Strong immunity—no colds/flus etc. even when everyone around me is sick
  • Absolutely no body odor—no deodorant needed even when perspiring
  • Excellent skin health—I got my pre-illness porcelain skin back—no more SIBO redness, just clear, baby soft and well hydrated even in winter
  • Excellent oral health—no dry mouth, morning breath or tooth sensitivity, teeth stay squeaky clean from morning till night and tongue and gums are a healthy shade of pink
  • Improved body composition—I regained muscle I hadn’t realized had atrophied on a fruitarian diet without any effort, and despite weighing the same as I did then, my clothes are much looser, especially in the waist—my measurements are the same as they were when I was highly active and climbing mountains every weekend
  • No body pain most days and quick recovery if I get a little out of hand with dancing
  • No more daily migraines and subsequent vomiting
  • Clear mind
  • Healthy libido
  • Gained back full sensation in a toe that had been numb for years, something not even B12 shots and supps. were able to fix
That’s all I can think of right now. The only thing left to improve really is my spine. My hope is that it’s even possible.
wow that's an incredible number of improvements

Really impressive, Jennifer!

Jennifer

wow that's an incredible number of improvements

Yeah, and to think most of them happened while following the fruitarian diet. I think the biggest thing for me was how it relieved my debilitating pain within a day of switching to it. I had suffered a pretty devastating back injury in my 20s due to advanced osteoporosis and was unable to take anything for the pain so I had to live with it and it really stole my ability to be fully present and in my body. I had to learn how to walk again so even the most basic tasks felt like I was dragging around painful dead weight, and each day I couldn’t wait for bed because in my sleep, I could run, dance, hike, I wasn’t broken. Switching to fruitarianism, I felt so light and in my body again and couldn’t wait to start the day each morning. So for that alone, I have no regrets having followed the diet.

Yes, head to toe improvement

Haha! Yep!

Really impressive, Jennifer!

Thank you, Rafael! :)