Insoluble fiber vs soluble

SamYo123

What is happening when insouble fiber from carrots mushrooms, bamboo shots, cascara sagrada, activated charcoal do nothing. dont work for bowl movements but soluble fiber does in foods like oats/cornflakes etc? Bowl movements become perfect

Last edited:

yerrag

The premise of the question is faulty.

yerrag

The fiber suggestted by Ray peat, dont give me bowl movements

Why not?
You're right.

The reason insoluble fiber won't work for you is because it doesn't breed microbes, and with less microbes less serotonin is produced. Serotonin drives bowel movement.

Soluble fiber feeds microbes and with more serotonin there's good bowel movement.

But if you have enough magnesium stores, you don't need to take soluble fiber and you will still have good bowel movement. Because magnesium helps power the autonomic contraction and relaxation of intestinal muscles that drive bowel movement. This is also called peristalsis.

OP
S

SamYo123

You're right.

The reason insoluble fiber won't work for you is because it doesn't breed microbes, and with less microbes less serotonin is produced. Serotonin drives bowel movement.

Soluble fiber feeds microbes and with more serotonin there's good bowel movement.

But if you have enough magnesium stores, you don't need to take soluble fiber and you will still have good bowel movement. Because magnesium helps power the autonomic contraction and relaxation of intestinal muscles that drive bowel movement. This is also called peristalsis.
So 2L of milk and Oj is not enough magnesium for me?

yerrag

Milk and OJ are not known for their magnesium content.

youngsinatra

The gut needs ATP for peristalsis. B1, niacinamide, magnesium, coffee and so on can help with bowel movements by increasing energy production in the digestive tract.

Vileplume

According to peat they are
These might provide enough magnesium for someone with good thyroid, but with poor thyroid function you retain less magnesium and thus might need to supplement or focus on some foods with higher magnesium.

yerrag

What did he say?

You need 400mg elemental mag each day maintenance.

If you want to build up stores, 6 months to one year of 800mg magnesium needed.

No need to test for magnesium. Waste of money. Your won't OD and die as you will have diarrhea and that's the body protecting you.

Magnesium carbonate is fine. Ray Peat recommends it.

OP
S

SamYo123

You're right.

"Fiber, by feeding the microbiome which produces short chain fatty acids in the colon, allows reduction of any inflammation in the gut and elsewhere in the body. This may not be a concern of yours, but people suffering from metabolic syndrome, insulin resistance and full blown diabetes can take some relief in this fact and consider fiber a friend:"

yerrag

"Fiber, by feeding the microbiome which produces short chain fatty acids in the colon, allows reduction of any inflammation in the gut and elsewhere in the body. This may not be a concern of yours, but people suffering from metabolic syndrome, insulin resistance and full blown diabetes can take some relief in this fact and consider fiber a friend:"
Take it for what it is. A general statement. Does not differentiate between insoluble from soluble fiber, for one.

The impression I get is that it is very positive about fiber. With no qualifications. A newbie would be led to think everything about fiber is good for the gut.

It is lacking nuance. It is a story with a cheesy ending. Reminds me of George W Bush "If you're not with us, you're against us."

yerrag

On the other hand, I hate too much nuance.

I could never understand the concept of FODMAP. It seems like how food is classified into high and low FODMAP is lacking clarity. Seems very arbitrary. Something needing a high priest of FODMAP to look at an oracle to determine.

OP
S

SamYo123

On the other hand, I hate too much nuance.

I could never understand the concept of FODMAP. It seems like how food is classified into high and low FODMAP is lacking clarity. Seems very arbitrary. Something needing a high priest of FODMAP to look at an oracle to determine.
Have you seen this thread?

yerrag

Have you seen this thread?
Thanks. It's a long thread. I'm sure it would be hard to summarize and encapsulate the gist of that thread. As it's 49 pages long.

I just wish there was a way to filter the thread in a way you separate wheat from chaff.

Do i dive in or do I stay out? Afraid of being eaten alive.

Chances are I'm staying out as my gut's always been fine. That means also I'm not going to be an expert on the gut because I can't experiment and learn from my gut issues.

I will also likely not dive in, as I have many other diving holes address areas I need work on.

Last edited:
OP
S

SamYo123

Thanks. It's a long thread. I'm sure it would be hard to summarize and encapsulate the gist of that thread. As it's 49 pages long.

I just wish there was a way to filter the thread in a way you separate wheat from chaff.

Do i dive in or do I stay out? Afraid of being eaten alive.

Chances are I'm staying out as my gut's always been fine. That means also I'm not going to be an expert on the gut because I can't experiment and learn from my gut issues.

I will also likely not dive in, as I have many other diving holes address areas I need work on.
I need to mentioned my soles and palms are orange af, from too much beta carotene, probs from the carrots, orange juices and mandarins.

I just found it it can affect digestion issues...

I need more B12 and thyroid and stop all the beta carotene stuff? Not sure if its in OJ?

Do I need to stop Vitamin A in general, from eggs, liver, milk etc?

Birdie

The stuff Peats says can cause problems? Whats peat eating for magnesium if he doesn't eat those?
I've seen where Ray recommends some spinach, some broccoli, potatoes and of course coffee.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals