Insight Solutions Are Correct More Often Than Analytic Solutions

amethyst

Spontaneous intuition is often correct and insightful, but often overlooked by those who prioritize in seeking the mundane in life.

milomag

I recently finished Matthew Crawford's The World Beyond Your Head, and I'd recommend it to anyone who has trouble overthinking.
This reminds me of another very good book along these lines: What's Wrong With Right Now Unless You Think About It? by 'Sailor' Bob Adamson

Luann

Does anyone have any guidelines for how to think more intuitively? I've always wanted to get better at that. Maybe it's just a matter of getting out of one's own way, mentally, and just...being and doing.

yerrag

One way I go about something when I'm stuck is to not force it on the moment, as long as I have the luxury of time. This means that I give it a rest, go about doing other things. Go to sleep, not even think about it even though it's still tacked in the recesses of my mind. When I go back to it, I will find the approach I thought about to be unforced, and simple. It doesn't end up being a Rube Goldberg machine of a solution. Analytical solutions tend to be built on complexity that doesn't have to be. One is in a trance state with blinders on, very focused on a very righteous course, if you will. This closedmindedness is the Russian winter quagmire of thought.

L

lollipop

Does anyone have any guidelines for how to think more intuitively? I've always wanted to get better at that. Maybe it's just a matter of getting out of one's own way, mentally, and just...being and doing.
I have never been able to "think" my way into intuition, It arises as an inner knowing. Allowing, being grounded and present not disassociated helped me actually recognize that we are all intuitive and intuition is happening continuously,

Luann

I have never been able to "think" my way into intuition, It arises as an inner knowing. Allowing, being grounded and present not disassociated helped me actually recognize that we are all intuitive and intuition is happening continuously,

Thanks Lisa. I was reading yesterday about how emotions are as advanced or more so than reasoning. Despite the fact that they're continually seen as primal forces to be overcome.

>> Intuition is happening continuosly

Right. It's a basic body process that somehow gets shoved into the background and drowned.

The body acts and the brain takes the blame.

L

lollipop

I was reading yesterday about how emotions are as advanced or more so than reasoning. Despite the fact that they're continually seen as primal forces to be overcome.
So true. Funny how distortions arise and then thrive.

Lucenzo01

Interesting thread. It's astonishing how physiology can change a person in a blink. It makes me sad thinking about what we could be if we had perfect metabolism.

Luann

One way I go about something when I'm stuck is to not force it on the moment, as long as I have the luxury of time. This means that I give it a rest, go about doing other things. Go to sleep, not even think about it even though it's still tacked in the recesses of my mind. When I go back to it, I will find the approach I thought about to be unforced, and simple. It doesn't end up being a Rube Goldberg machine of a solution. Analytical solutions tend to be built on complexity that doesn't have to be. One is in a trance state with blinders on, very focused on a very righteous course, if you will. This closedmindedness is the Russian winter quagmire of thought.

Haha @ russian winter of thought. This sounds like something to try next time I'm locked into a perspective and can't get out. Thanks yerrag.

kyle

In my experience the inverse is true too. Analytical thinking and intuitive thinking can alter hormones.

L

lollipop

In my experience the inverse is true too. Analytical thinking and intuitive thinking can alter hormones.
Interesting. In what way? Can you elaborate with examples? Curious.

kyle

Interesting. In what way? Can you elaborate with examples? Curious.

When I'm playing music and I'm absorbed in the activity it's a relaxing activity. When I start to analyze what I'm doing it turns into a source of frustration. I've never drawn blood to test this theory. It's my own recognition of energetic state versus states of torpor.

I know a lot of musicians that have a total aversion to learning music theory. When I ask them why it is because they feel like it will hamper their uniqueness/individuality.

I don't think it's some principled stance against compromising their uniqueness/individuality. If anything, they'd do just about anything if it meant being more popular. I think musicians are just more delicate and sensitive to the biological changes that book learning induces and they are intelligently avoiding it and claim creative independence as a justification. (Interestingly when you listen to an untrained musician playing intuitively, it is all based on the same principles of actual analytical music theory. Or if you prefer, analytical theory is based on our intuitive sense of music.)

But there's probably truth to what these musicians are saying. We can ask, what do we mean by uniqueness and individuality? Maybe we feel more like "ourselves" when we act intuitively. So in a sense, when we go into the serotonin state we feel less like "ourselves." Someone that has experienced depersonalization knows this feeling. So there is some truth in the romantic idea of breaking free from conventions in order to be free.

I think the concept in psychology called "flow" is a pretty good model of this.

There's also the philosophical concept of "simulacra/simulation." Direct experience (the simulacra) generates symbols (simulation) and modern humans increasingly navigate through life in symbolic/analytical fashion. Hence our culture's fascination with primitive things like the TV shows about Alaskan survivalists.

Last edited:
L

lollipop

When I'm playing music and I'm absorbed in the activity it's a relaxing activity. When I start to analyze what I'm doing it turns into a source of frustration. I've never drawn blood to test this theory. It's my own recognition of energetic state versus states of torpor.

I know a lot of musicians that have a total aversion to learning music theory. When I ask them why it is because they feel like it will hamper their uniqueness/individuality.

I don't think it's some principled stance against compromising their uniqueness/individuality. If anything, they'd do just about anything if it meant being more popular. I think musicians are just more delicate and sensitive to the biological changes that book learning induces and they are intelligently avoiding it and claim creative independence as a justification. (Interestingly when you listen to an untrained musician playing intuitively, it is all based on the same principles of actual analytical music theory. Or if you prefer, analytical theory is based on our intuitive sense of music.)

But there's probably truth to what these musicians are saying. We can ask, what do we mean by uniqueness and individuality? Maybe we feel more like "ourselves" when we act intuitively. So in a sense, when we go into the serotonin state we feel less like "ourselves." Someone that has experienced depersonalization knows this feeling. So there is some truth in the romantic idea of breaking free from conventions in order to be free.

I think the concept in psychology called "flow" is a pretty good model of this.

There's also the philosophical concept of "simulacra/simulation." Direct experience (the simulacra) generates symbols (simulation) and modern humans increasingly navigate through life in symbolic/analytical fashion. Hence our culture's fascination with primitive things like the TV shows about Alaskan survivalists.
Fascinating @kyle. Thanks for taking the time. The flow state is something I experience and have looked into. You definitely have me thinking now about the connection of flow with biochemical state AND if increased biochemical balance, i.e. energy generative state encourages flow, and maybe vice versa.

Capt Nirvana

I believe it was Henri Poincaré who argued that intuition (aka insight) is the life of mathematics.
Robert Pirsig expanded on this (in Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance), arguing that good science (namely being able to come up with a coherent hypothesis) is, at least partly, a creative/insightful process.
I guess this study maybe confirms these ideas.
Einstein would have definitely agreed with Henri Poincaré. Ditto Leibniz.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom