Insatiable hunger + anxiety after pure sugar

FredSonoma

Been Peating 10 days now. My hunger is insatiable - it's literally a full-time job cooking and eating. The only time I sleep is if I eat a ***t-load all day + a huge bowl of heavy cream and honey, or something similar. If I don't do this, I lie awake feeling cracked out for most of the night.

Also, I feel pretty awful after eating pure sugar, or anything with it in it. I can tolerate a tablespoon here or there in some milk, but that usually leads to me spooning 4 tbsp or more of it in my mouth, to feel absolutely terrible after.

My biggest issue is I WANT MORE FOOD ALWAYS (esp. sweet food), but it's so hard to get enough because 1. the liquid from tons of juice makes me feel like ***t and 2. eating refined sugar makes me feel so anxious and terrible. The best solution I've come to is eating tons of honey, but I'm worried about the oligosaccharides in the honey, as that used to give me bad farts and make me feel crappy.

Is it likely that this is something with my hormones correcting itself and I need to just feed the beast until it levels out?

OP
F

FredSonoma

jyb said:
Are you eating low fat?

No lol I'm eating a whole stick of butter + 5-6 tbsp coconut oil per day (plus fat from whole milk and cheese)

I'm thinking I might be deficient in Vitamin B1... any thoughts?

Sea

Consider eating some starches, or replacing the butter with ice cream.

I think that the anxiety is caused by bacteria eating some of your food.

I recommend trying some antibiotics.

In my experience honey is easier to digest than white sugar. I wouldn't worry about over consuming honey.

pboy

you're probably nutrient deficient and maybe a little over liquefied...but I cant be sure without more detail

XPlus

I can relate to your experience when I started getting into Peat.
Have you've been low carbing / intense exercising before?
If you've lost weight on this regimen, you're probably in a stage where you're regaining that lost weight.
I've gained about 20kgs in the last 8 months.
I think the body needs a little extra energy and nutrients to recover from that stress.

Glucose accounts for 50% of carbohydrates in pure sugar. While it tends to trigger insulin less when it's accompanied by fructose, I think it's still has a notable effect on appetite.

Ray Peat said:
Starch and glucose efficiently stimulate insulin secretion, and that accelerates the disposition of glucose, activating its conversion to glycogen and fat, as well as its oxidation. Fructose inhibits the stimulation of insulin by glucose, so this means that eating ordinary sugar, sucrose (a disaccharide, consisting of glucose and fructose), in place of starch, will reduce the tendency to store fat. Eating “complex carbohydrates,” rather than sugars, is a reasonable way to promote obesity. Eating starch, by increasing insulin and lowering the blood sugar, stimulates the appetite, causing a person to eat more

Also, If my guess is correct and you have been dealing with a lot of stress, then liver and pancreas functions aren't optimal. In other words, you might be experiencing some sugar issues.

Take things slowly with the sugar. Consider supplementing thyroid if metabolism is low.
Try incorporating more pure fructose (preferably one that's made from beets)
Saturated fat is highly valuable at this stage.
I'd always combine sugar with some protein and moderate amounts of fat.
Don't be too afraid of eating but don't overdo the fat.

Tarmander

I went through a phase where I would crave ice cream at an alarming rate, and the more I ate of it, the more I wanted. It was kind of freaky, and I gained weight, but after gaining 30lbs or so, I started feeling better and my craving died down. Honesty I think you need to just trust your body. As far as feeling like crap, I can relate. Personally I had to avoid straight sugar, and if I did eat sugar it had to be paired with fat or protein, ie ice cream. I would avoid the straight sugar, and go with like honey and butter on something instead.

tara

Sugar needs minerals and vitamins to use well. Fruit etc have some of these - eg potassium, magnesium; pure sucrose doesn't. B-vitamins may help. Vege broth may help. As others said, calorie density may be relevant.
How much is a 'sh** load' for you?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals