Inositol And Estrogen

freyasam

I've been taking 3-4 gm myo-inositol about 10 days now to see if I could address my insulin resistance, lower blood sugar (I have type 2 diabetes), lose weight, etc.

Pros:
- marked decrease in appetite (such a relief! I have been super hungry for years)
- losing 3 pounds so far and 1/2 inch on waist (first weight loss in years!)
- maybe less hair loss, not sure yet

Cons:
- temps are lower (could this be from lowering stress hormones? I've never understood why my temps are relatively high when I'm clearly low metabolism.)

Not sure if related, since I've been changing some other things too:
- more fatigue (I see this is a side effect of inositol in some people)
- maybe more depression (this is a major issue for me so hard to see if it's worse or not lately)

So the jury's out. I've searched for its effects on estrogen and it's not clear whether it lowers it or not:

Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: Insights into the Therapeutic Approach with Inositols

Anyone know Peat's opinion on inositol? Haven't found any evidence of him talking about myo or d-chiro inositol. Also any experiences with it or insight into its effects on estrogen?

thanks!

Frankdee20

I used to try it for anxiety and insomnia but it eventually induced SSRI flashbacks

KyleKingsly

Would love if y'all could check my recent thread on inositol and let me know what you think :)

Spondive

Abstract
The presence of inositol in high concentrations in semen and the male reporductive organs of mammals suggests that it may have an important rôle in male reproduction. The present study is an attempt to investigate the effect of dietary protein restriction in the male rat on inositol synthesis in the testes and on the concentration of inositol in some of the accessory sex organs. The results show that marginal protein deficiency does not alter either the biosynthesis of inositol or inositol concentration in the testis, epididymis or seminal vesicles.

Ella

Forum Supporter
Anyone know Peat's opinion on inositol? Haven't found any evidence of him talking about myo or d-chiro inositol.

Peat recommends sun-ripened juiced oranges and fruits like melons.

The amount of inositol in an average orange is around 307 mg and 1/4 cup canteloupe = 353 mg. If you are consuming OJ like Peat does one quart/day - how many oranges make up nearly a litre? Perhaps 10 oranges, which will provide just over 3000 mg of inositol.

I could easily eat a whole canteloupe, so if 1 canteloupe = 1.5 cup, this provides a further ~2118 mg inositol. If you were eating only oranges and melons, your inositol total for the day would total ~5118 mg/day. However, most people (you would hope) would include a variety of other foods with varying amounts of inositol, increasing their daily inositol in excess of 5000 mg.

Frankdee20

How do we know the Inositol isn’t in the rind of the Orange ? Do we know if it’s getting into the juice ?

OP
F

freyasam

Abstract
The presence of inositol in high concentrations in semen and the male reporductive organs of mammals suggests that it may have an important rôle in male reproduction. The present study is an attempt to investigate the effect of dietary protein restriction in the male rat on inositol synthesis in the testes and on the concentration of inositol in some of the accessory sex organs. The results show that marginal protein deficiency does not alter either the biosynthesis of inositol or inositol concentration in the testis, epididymis or seminal vesicles.
Does that relate to me as a woman?

OP
F

freyasam

Anyway it did help me for about 3 weeks with my extreme hunger, but then that effect disappeared and it just increased fatigue, so I stopped it.

OP
F

freyasam

Why not? If it’s good for a man it’s probably good for women

Yeah it's supposed to be good for ovulation and PMS. My question was intended to clarify because I was too fatigued / brain fogged to understand your original comment.