Inhibiting Lipolysis Can Have Anti-aging Effects

Hans

Forum Supporter
This is a nice study to find showing the opposite of what the mainstream recommends.
Hyperinsulinemia and hyperglycemia aren't optimal, but instead of blaming the carbs, this study points to fats being the bad guy.

Anti-aging effects of anti-lipolytic drugs. - PubMed - NCBI
"Genetic disruption of insulin and insulin-like signaling pathways may extend lifespan. Hyperinsulinemia and insulin resistance may accelerate aging. The hypothesis was tested that a once-a-week life-long inhibition of insulin secretion by the administration of anti-lipolytic drugs might have anti-aging effects. Groups of 3-month-old male Sprague-Dawley rats were (a) given standard laboratory food ad libitum (AL); (b) fed AL 6 days and fasted 1 day every week (FW); (c) fed AL every other day (EOD), (d) fed like FW and given Acipimox (50 mg/kg b.w.) on the day of fasting (FWA) by the gastric tube. The AL, FW and EOD groups received saline intragastrically. Treatment with ACIPIMOX transiently decreased plasma free fatty acids, glucose and insulin and increased valine plasma levels, and had no long-term effect on food consumption and body weight. By age 6, 12 and 24 months subgroups were taken and the age-related changes in liver dolichol and autophagic proteolysis--which are correlated with life-expectancy--were measured. Liver dolichol levels increased and autophagic proteolysis decreased in mature and older AL rats; EOD and FWA fully counteracted these changes; FW rats had significant but smaller beneficial effects. It is concluded that life-long weekly-repeated transient inhibition of insulin secretion by antilipolytic drugs may have an anti-aging effect, additive to the anti-aging effect of a milder caloric restriction. Speculation is that transiently lower plasma insulin levels might stimulate the anti-aging cell-repair mechanism autophagy, which has longer lasting effects on cell housekeeping."

maillol

Interestingly the drug Acipimox is apparently an analogue of nicotinic acid. Although it sounds more like the action of nicotinamide/niacinamide.

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
Interestingly the drug Acipimox is apparently an analogue of nicotinic acid. Although it sounds more like the action of nicotinamide/niacinamide.
To inhibit excess lipolysis I would rather go with aspirin. I haven't found studies that show that niacinamide blocks lipolysis, but only niacin. However with the fatty acid rebound effect of niacin, I would not use it during the day, but rather with the last meal of the day.

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
There is an interesting discussion over whether niacinamide has a rebound effect or not in this thread Vitamin B3 blocks FFA elevation caused by caffeine
The consensus seems to be that it's only niacin/nicotinic acid that has that effect.
Yes, that's why I would use niacinamide during the day, maybe together with aspirin (if I wanted to block lipolysis) and niacin with the last meal of the day.

maillol

Sorry, you did say that, I missed it. So are you taking the niacinamide for reasons other than blocking lipolysis?

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
Sorry, you did say that, I missed it. So are you taking the niacinamide for reasons other than blocking lipolysis?
I mainly take niacinamide for its pro-GABA, anti-cortisol and nootropic benefits and mostly for its ability to increase the NAD:NADH ratio.

Velve921

I mainly take niacinamide for its pro-GABA, anti-cortisol and nootropic benefits and mostly for its ability to increase the NAD:NADH ratio.

Hello Hans,

Since this last discussion have your thoughts changed about aspirin being the best choice for inhibiting lipolysis?

I am in the middle of serious experimentations in this area and curious if anything has changed in your mind.

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
Hello Hans,

Since this last discussion have your thoughts changed about aspirin being the best choice for inhibiting lipolysis?

I am in the middle of serious experimentations in this area and curious if anything has changed in your mind.
There are a few other compounds that can inhibit excess lipolysis (such as those compounds that lower excess inflammation and stress), but I still prefer aspirin yes.

Velve921

There are a few other compounds that can inhibit excess lipolysis (such as those compounds that lower excess inflammation and stress), but I still prefer aspirin yes.

appreciate your feedback. Any daily dosages that you’ve experimented with that seem to consistently yield results that you are looking for?

Beastmode

Yes, that's why I would use niacinamide during the day, maybe together with aspirin (if I wanted to block lipolysis) and niacin with the last meal of the day.

In a dialogue with Peat yesterday, he suggested using niacinamide at night before bed. I've only experimented with it during the day.

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
appreciate your feedback. Any daily dosages that you’ve experimented with that seem to consistently yield results that you are looking for?
The goal of inhibiting excess lipolysis is to restore glucose oxidation. Aspirin does this really well as it can dramatically reduce insulin requirements from a carb meal. For me 500mg works really well to block the stress response when combined with carbs.
In serious cases, 1 to 1.5g might be needed.

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
In a dialogue with Peat yesterday, he suggested using niacinamide at night before bed. I've only experimented with it during the day.
Keep me posted how it works for you. The boost in NAD and it's pro-GABA effects should help with sleep. However, I haven't noticed the same stress reducing properties from niacinamide as I have from aspirin.

Beastmode

Keep me posted how it works for you. The boost in NAD and it's pro-GABA effects should help with sleep. However, I haven't noticed the same stress reducing properties from niacinamide as I have from aspirin.
I will for sure. My sleep is pretty good already, so I'm wondering what effects I might notice. The plan is to start at small doses and work up for experimentation purposes. I imagine the consistent dose will be small.

Beastmode

The goal of inhibiting excess lipolysis is to restore glucose oxidation. Aspirin does this really well as it can dramatically reduce insulin requirements from a carb meal. For me 500mg works really well to block the stress response when combined with carbs.

I meant to say I've had the same experience with aspirin more than niacinamide in the past. Aspirin is a big one for me when I eat a big meat type meal.

Velve921

thanks for the feedback. I’ll continue experimenting