"Inheritance Isn't Indelibly Fixed"

narouz

"Although he was a geneticist and bred the mice that demonstrated the inheritance of cancer, he also showed that simple therapeutic measures would not only prevent cancer in a susceptible individual, but would also prevent cancer in many generations of the treated animal's descendants... Inheritance isn't indelibly fixed. A physiological state is passed on…" —Ray Peat

Another cool thing Danny Roddy had on his Facebook page.
I've read Peat somewhere discussing this idea,
but I don't think I've ever heard him articulate it in exactly this pithy way.

So I'm not sure where the quote comes from, and Roddy doesn't cite it.
And I'm not sure who the geneticist mentioned is,
although I think it wouldn't be hard to figure out by looking over Peat's articles.

pranarupa

Think this is in reference to Leonel Strong,

"In the 1960s I read some articles in a small town newspaper about Leonell Strong’s cancer research, and his treatment by the American Cancer Society and the Salk Institute. Leonell Strong had developed strains of mice for use in cancer research. In some of the strains, 100% of the females developed mammary cancer. Strong had demonstrated that these strains had very high levels of estrogen. He showed me mice that he had treated with simple extracts of liver, that were free of cancer, and whose descendants remained free of cancer for several generations.

Strong had received his PhD in genetics under T. H. Morgan. For a person trained in classical genetics, and who had spent his career developing the supposedly genetically determined cancer trait, the elimination of the trait by a few injections must have been hard to understand, but at least he tried to understand it.

When he had earlier demonstrated the presence of a virus in the milk of cancer-prone mice, and when he showed the role of heredity in cancer, he was popular with the cancer business, but when he showed that “genetic” cancer could be eradicated with a simple treatment, he became the object of official abuse. He said that the Salk institute had offered him a position to induce him to move with his large colony of mice from New York to San Diego, but when he arrived he found that he had no job, and his records of decades of research had been lost. He said that a memo which was discovered in a lawsuit revealed that the institute had just wanted his mice, and never intended to give him the promised job. For the cancer establishment, his discovery of a way to prevent cancer was not welcome."

-from Breast Cancer

jaguar43

narouz said:
"Although he was a geneticist and bred the mice that demonstrated the inheritance of cancer, he also showed that simple therapeutic measures would not only prevent cancer in a susceptible individual, but would also prevent cancer in many generations of the treated animal's descendants... Inheritance isn't indelibly fixed. A physiological state is passed on…" —Ray Peat

although I think it wouldn't be hard to figure out by looking over Peat's articles.

Why would you want the source of the quote? There is a lot of references to the "genetic spectrum" in his articles. Any way one of us could help.

OP
N

narouz

jag2594 said:
narouz said:

Why would you want the source of the quote? There is a lot of references to the "genetic spectrum" in his articles. Any way one of us could help.

I like documentation. :eek:
And I'd like to nail down who the geneticist is referred to in the quote.
(It looks like the poster "pranarupa" above may've found that already! Thanks!)

I wasn't implying a distrust of the quote's authenticity.