Inherent Waves In Body

tonto

@CoolTweetPete brought up interesting ideas in post last week. Just wanted to further discussion by bringing up these inherent body waves that are little known called Meyer waves which may have origin in repetitive cycles in body (heart beat or respiration) and are transmitted as bulk waves via the fascia and can be felt by experienced practitioners. The origin of the waves I think are unknown and the transmission through the body a good indicator of overall health. In the post last week, there was talk of the fascia - any disruption of the fascia seems to reroute these waves and cause ill being. This may also impact digestion and metabolism, but too far afield for my understanding.

Just wanted to add if people were interested and not aware.

L

lollipop

@CoolTweetPete brought up interesting ideas in post last week. Just wanted to further discussion by bringing up these inherent body waves that are little known called Meyer waves which may have origin in repetitive cycles in body (heart beat or respiration) and are transmitted as bulk waves via the fascia and can be felt by experienced practitioners. The origin of the waves I think are unknown and the transmission through the body a good indicator of overall health. In the post last week, there was talk of the fascia - any disruption of the fascia seems to reroute these waves and cause ill being. This may also impact digestion and metabolism, but too far afield for my understanding.

Fascinating @tonto. Do you have any personal experience? I have experienced in yoga practice times when everything seemed perfect structurally that the Prana or energy flows like a river inside. Also doing a Qigong pose daily for the last six weeks, I can feel my fascia adjusting back to healthy position during my 24 min holding and then everything calms down, muscles, soft tissue etc and feels again like a flow.

OP
tonto

tonto

Fascinating @tonto. Do you have any personal experience? I have experienced in yoga practice times when everything seemed perfect structurally that the Prana or energy flows like a river inside. Also doing a Qigong pose daily for the last six weeks, I can feel my fascia adjusting back to healthy position during my 24 min holding and then everything calms down, muscles, soft tissue etc and feels again like a flow.

@lisaferrano I have experience as a cranial sacral practitioner. I definitely think you can sense these inherent waves during practices like you are doing. When I am at work with a patient, the amplitude and rate of these "Meyer's waves" (Cranial Rhythmic Impulses) varies depending on the state the patient is in. Since you are touching a living aware organism, you can sense the organism withdraw initially if you latch on too quickly to the other person's body. Within a couple of minutes you can sense the impulses return which are usually at a rate of 12-20 a minute. If you can sense these in yoga, try to consciously interact and calm the waves to a "still point" and then just wait. You may feel some reorganization (like a jiggling sensation) occurring within the still point followed by substantially increased vitality of the impulse wave. It just feels healthier and more alive. You may also want to get a partner and just take turns holding the head and feeling for the waves. Within 5 minutes of sitting still with hands sensing the wave, you may notice the texture of the tissue changes in your hands so that it feels like a balloon and you can make very subtle movements to interact or "play with" the rhythm. You will notice your partner will drift to sleep, bowel sounds will occur (and flatulence :) all part of the release of the fascia perhaps. Anyway that's alot of stuff... it really is an amazing aspect of our bodies that is little known. Structure and function though so I think should be discussed in this forum.

L

lollipop

@lisaferrano I have experience as a cranial sacral practitioner. I definitely think you can sense these inherent waves during practices like you are doing. When I am at work with a patient, the amplitude and rate of these "Meyer's waves" (Cranial Rhythmic Impulses) varies depending on the state the patient is in. Since you are touching a living aware organism, you can sense the organism withdraw initially if you latch on too quickly to the other person's body. Within a couple of minutes you can sense the impulses return which are usually at a rate of 12-20 a minute. If you can sense these in yoga, try to consciously interact and calm the waves to a "still point" and then just wait. You may feel some reorganization (like a jiggling sensation) occurring within the still point followed by substantially increased vitality of the impulse wave. It just feels healthier and more alive. You may also want to get a partner and just take turns holding the head and feeling for the waves. Within 5 minutes of sitting still with hands sensing the wave, you may notice the texture of the tissue changes in your hands so that it feels like a balloon and you can make very subtle movements to interact or "play with" the rhythm. You will notice your partner will drift to sleep, bowel sounds will occur (and flatulence :) all part of the release of the fascia perhaps. Anyway that's alot of stuff... it really is an amazing aspect of our bodies that is little known. Structure and function though so I think should be discussed in this forum.
Hi @tonto - just want to forewarn you that I am about to shout - lol

FASCINATING!

Oh my, soooooooo interesting - I am going to experiment in my practice and then experiment on my husband’s head :): Thank you for initiating this conversation.

The bioerngeticist Alexander Lowen talks a bout waves in the body, and also attributes them to vitality and wellbeing , however im not sure if they are the same waves you are tlaking about but he talks about how the waves are more frequent and pure the better the vitality is.

Bioenergy deals with body and chronic tension

CoolTweetPete

This is fascinating. I think these waves would be akin to the vibratory transmissions of the fascial system. As you said, disruptions in the function of fascial lines might create disorder in the system, promoting cell division and limiting differentiation.

OP
tonto

tonto

@lisaferraro lol - I share your enthusiasm. Would love to hear your experiences.

Just to make this idea more practical. I see many car accident patients and wonder about the somatic (?fascial) distortions that occur. The sympathetic nervous system is housed largely in upper abdomen just below the diaphragm. When trauma occurs (or even very bad news) there is a tendency to gasp for air and hold the breath which I think may lead to chronic fascial distortion involving the abdomen, sternum, and neck. There are areas called Chapman's Reflexes that I find activated after car accidents. If you first engage the Cranial Rhythm and attempt to bring them to normal healthy rate and rhythm and then recheck the Chapman points they disappear. Then holding soft pressure into the abdomen over the sympathetics you can sense a calming of respiration. Not saying that this will work all the time or what exactly is happening, but clearly there is a somatic problem that can be changed to some degree using the Cranial Rhythm. I suspect this may impact digestion, absorption and metabolism of food as well due to decreased sympathetic reactivity.

Anyway thought I'd share this area where I am enthusiastic and get feedback, open to criticism and reanalysis.

L

lollipop

@lisaferraro lol - I share your enthusiasm. Would love to hear your experiences.

Just to make this idea more practical. I see many car accident patients and wonder about the somatic (?fascial) distortions that occur. The sympathetic nervous system is housed largely in upper abdomen just below the diaphragm. When trauma occurs (or even very bad news) there is a tendency to gasp for air and hold the breath which I think may lead to chronic fascial distortion involving the abdomen, sternum, and neck. There are areas called Chapman's Reflexes that I find activated after car accidents. If you first engage the Cranial Rhythm and attempt to bring them to normal healthy rate and rhythm and then recheck the Chapman points they disappear. Then holding soft pressure into the abdomen over the sympathetics you can sense a calming of respiration. Not saying that this will work all the time or what exactly is happening, but clearly there is a somatic problem that can be changed to some degree using the Cranial Rhythm. I suspect this may impact digestion, absorption and metabolism of food as well due to decreased sympathetic reactivity.

Anyway thought I'd share this area where I am enthusiastic and get feedback, open to criticism and reanalysis.

@tonto - LOVE you sharing more - please do!!

Fascinating about where the sympathetic nervous system lives. I find that area from bottom ribs to belly button the be one of the most emotional areas in the body. I have to work that area a lot with people to get it to soften and open. I also see how people contract in at this spot (including diaphragm) when they walk into a room that feels unsafe or suddenly they feel unsafe around someone. I notice it mostly in the upper abdomen region just as the front ribs end. Not to mention any connection with GERD.

Also as way of feedback, I have definitely noticed how a body reacts with different approaches: fast, gruff, or gentle, etc. since I have been doing the Qigong and building up time, I have experienced a complete shift in my fascia especially around the upper back.

Strangely enough, I also feel it shifting on my cranium - pulling back and creating a face lift sort of effect.

OP
tonto

tonto

@lisaferraro thanks. I find the same thing that there is protective instinct in that upper abdominal area. I've witnessed several patients become emotional and releasing tears of emotion when the upper abdomen is accessed (or "softened and opened up" as you describe it). Do you do body work as well?

I really just started grasping this, but if you look at the anatomy of what is in that area (below is a illustration), the celiac ganglion is there and amazing how large it is. Wiki says it is the largest ganglion of the autonomic nervous system and innervates part of diaphragm and all of the GI tract and ovaries. Must relate to why such an effect.
Gray848.png

Very interesting results with Qigong - unfortunately I don't know much about it. Seems similar to Tai Chi. Since we are on this forum, the sympathetic innervation in that area (upper back) does correspond to thyroid at about T2 level. I wonder if increased metabolic function will result from muscle/fascial relaxation of that area if it is tight?

L

lollipop

@lisaferraro thanks. I find the same thing that there is protective instinct in that upper abdominal area. I've witnessed several patients become emotional and releasing tears of emotion when the upper abdomen is accessed (or "softened and opened up" as you describe it). Do you do body work as well?

I really just started grasping this, but if you look at the anatomy of what is in that area (below is a illustration), the celiac ganglion is there and amazing how large it is. Wiki says it is the largest ganglion of the autonomic nervous system and innervates part of diaphragm and all of the GI tract and ovaries. Must relate to why such an effect.
Gray848.png

Very interesting results with Qigong - unfortunately I don't know much about it. Seems similar to Tai Chi. Since we are on this forum, the sympathetic innervation in that area (upper back) does correspond to thyroid at about T2 level. I wonder if increased metabolic function will result from muscle/fascial relaxation of that area if it is tight?
Just fascinating @tonto. It is HUGE and connects in everywhere. And look at the bile duct and how close it is. Imagine that area on lockdown...

I do something sort of like bodywork but not exactly. Hard to write out what I do. PM me if you want to know more.

Not sure if Qigong is similar - might be - and for sure I imagine there are various practices/interpretations of Qigong. I am practicing standing positions not movement. Standing like a tree they are called. Here is a pdf of the 5 postures. I practice the second position:

http://sharepoint.bluewillowwellness.com/qigong/Shared Documents/ZHAN ZHUANG Student handoutdoc.doc

Maybe seeing an image, you might get a better idea.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals