Infrared Sauna Nitric Oxide

OkayByTheSea

Hi all! I am new here.

I have been wondering about Nitric Oxide generation by infrared saunas. A bunch of studies show up if one searches for "Infrared Sauna Nitric Oxide", an example is pasted below.

My query is about safety of Infrared Sauna in light of such effects. Personally, my anxiety disorder have been lower to near-normal levels since I started using Methylene Blue, so am weary of NO.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/ar ... 7708006518

Best,
OBTS

mt_dreams

Are you concerned with infrared within the light spectrum, or higher concentrated forms of infrared that are used for in saunas? If it's the latter, a light based sauna would be more in-line with Ray's thoughts. Dr. Wilson has some good articles on light (near infrared) saunas vs infrared varieties.

I think the effect of infrared sauna being compared to exercise seems plausible. the body ends up working harder to repair things in infrared when compared to steam or light saunas, which is why many experts do not suggest using one of those saunas right after exercise.

OP
O

OkayByTheSea

I am not concerned about existence of Infrared in natural sun light, evolution would have taken care of that by now. My concern is primarily the fact that Infrared sauna increases NO, as is suggested by some studies. The world outside (non-peatian universe) considers Nitric Oxide as a good thing. In here, NO is devil's first cousin.

If I may rephrase my query - Do the benefits of using IR sauna outweigh the dangers of NO generated by using the Sauna?

Best,
OBTS

Mittir

The posted link shows an abstact in a journal of medical hypothesis.
Quick google search found few studies showing increased NO with infrared
exposure in isolated cell .
Here are two human studies, one found short term increase in NO and other one found
descreas in NO. It is hard to understand these things without reading the full text.
In first study NO level peaked after 5 min and then waned and 2nd study measured
NO level 25 minute after Infrared expsoure and found decreased level of NO.

1. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23334615
Am J Phys Med Rehabil. 2013 Feb;92(2):151-6. doi: 10.1097/PHM.0b013e318269d70a.
Low-level laser treatment with near-infrared light increases venous nitric oxide levels acutely: a single-blind, randomized clinical trial of efficacy.
Mitchell UH1, Mack GL.
Author information
Abstract
OBJECTIVE:
The use of near-infrared light in the form of low-level laser therapy (LLLT) has become more popular in the treatment of a variety of conditions where increased peripheral blood flow is desired. The hypothesis behind its working mechanism is its purported ability to generate nitric oxide (NO) in the treated area. We tested the hypothesis that the efficacy of near-infrared light lies in its ability to generate NO at the treatment site.

DESIGN:
We conducted a single-blind, placebo-controlled, randomized clinical trial to measure NO, by its metabolites nitrite and nitrate, in venous blood draining from tissue receiving LLLT. Fifteen healthy subjects received LLLT to the forearm, and blood samples were taken immediately before treatment; at 1, 5, 15, and 30 mins; as well as 15 mins after the treatment to check for NO content.

RESULTS:
We found a significant treatment effect (F = 15.75, P = 0.003). A post hoc test showed that minutes 1, 5, and 15 were different compared with the baseline measures (P's < 0.05). The area under the treatment curve was significantly larger than the area under the sham treatment curve (t = 2.26, P = 0.037). A limitation of this study was that the data were collected from healthy subjects.

CONCLUSIONS:
LLLT increased NO levels in venous blood draining from the treatment site in healthy subjects. The peak increase in NO occurred 5 mins into the treatment, after which it slowly waned. Further research is necessary to assess NO increases with LLLT in patients with pathologies.

2. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19107321
Acta Diabetol. 2009 Sep;46(3):233-7. doi: 10.1007/s00592-008-0082-3. Epub 2008 Dec 24.
Pulsed infrared light therapy does not increase nitric oxide concentration in the blood of patients with type 1 and type 2 diabetes mellitus.
Arnall DA1, Nelson AG, Stambaugh L, Sanz Sevilla N, Cebrià i Iranzo MA, Bueno LL, Sanz I, Arnall SB.
Author information
Abstract
The purpose of this study was to determine if NO blood concentrations increased acutely following an 8-week course of pulsed infrared light therapy (PILT) which could be linked to an improvement in peripheral protective sensation (PPS) in patients who have profound chronic diabetic peripheral neuropathy. A total of 22 subjects with the diagnosis of type 1 (N = 2) or type 2 (N = 20) diabetes participated in the study. PILT was administered to one foot chosen at random with the other foot serving as a within-subject control (no treatment). Patients underwent 24 treatments (3 times/week, for 8 weeks) for 30 min per treatment. Venous blood samples were taken during the last 5 min of treatment from veins in the dorsum of the control and experimental feet and were later analyzed for NO concentration. Contrary to the popular supposition, PILT treatments actually resulted in a significantly (P < 0.05) decreased concentration of NO. Additionally, there were no significant differences between the treated and untreated feet. Since in individuals where PILT has significantly improved PPS, PILT did not stimulate an increased NO content in the blood, it appears that infrared light improves peripheral protective sensation in patients by a mechanism other than an increased NO production.

Doesn't the red light detach the nitric oxide from the respiratory enzymes?

OP
O

OkayByTheSea

Is there a post explaining the mechanism of how red-light interacts with the system in regards to Nitric Oxide elimination?

RedLightMan

Such_Saturation said:
post 104537 Doesn't the red light detach the nitric oxide from the respiratory enzymes?
This was my understanding too.
Red/Infrared light stimulates cytochrome to 'release' nitric oxide, thereby stopping the negative effect on metabolism it was having by being there.

An infrared sauna might appear to generate nitric oxide, but it's actually just detaching/blocking it from respiratory enzymes

Last edited by a moderator:

NathanK

Ironically, I asked this question the other day. The response pretty much summed up what bigjoe said.

"It is thought to "photodissociate" NO cytochrome c oxidase in the mitochondria. Under stress the a cell will produce NO under NO synthase, this blocks oxygen from CCO down regulating cellular respiration and the energy storing ATP. LLLT releases or photodissaociates NO from CCO thereby allowing oxygen use and unhindered cellular respiration. LLLT then through it's action on NO may increase the energetic capacity of the cell, while at the same time creating a beneficial hormetic effect from ROS. The increase in ROS may also lead to up refulation of stimulatory and protective genes. CCO an dNO may be involved in the immediate pain relief experienced in LLLT treatments

Nitric oxide may also be released from nitrosothiols, hemoglobin or myoglobin under the influence of certain levels of Red NIRA. Increase in cells calcium levels could also increase NO detection due to it increasing nitric oxide synthase."

YuraCZ

I'm wondering why nobody talks about saunas here.. Particularly near infrared or at least far infrared sauna are the ultimate tool not only for detox. In 2016 I will buy my own infrared sauna no doubt. :)

[bbvideo=560,315]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBerNWUIqYc[/bbvideo]

[bbvideo=560,315]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWKBsh7YTXQ[/bbvideo]

Greg says

YuraCZ said:
I'm wondering why nobody talks about saunas here.. Particularly near infrared or at least far infrared sauna are the ultimate tool not only for detox. In 2016 I will buy my own infrared sauna no doubt. :)

I have read something on here about infrared saunas being an problem if they heat up the body too much as this releases stored PUFA. I was using them and had disturbed sleep and bad dreams. I do love saunas and find them very therapeutic. Maybe just not so hot. I don't know.

Xisca

I have Heard 2 things, one about long sauna at only 1ºC over your own temp.
The other is about short sauna + shower to remove toxins.
It seems that far IR sauna enables to sauna without core heating of the body, good for very fatigated people and weak heart for example.

tomisonbottom

According to this guy, near is safe, but far infrared emits too much EMF