Infection In Gum Post Extraction

Bluemachine

Had a tooth extracted the day before yesterday, think it might be infected. The pain eased off yesterday until later at night it started hurting more again and I noticed some slight dark green colour in the scab. There is some slight swelling that can be felt from cheek side and swollen lymph node on the same side (though it's been like that since the moment of extraction) I don't feel much worse than normal just very low energy but it seems slightly infected.

Not sure whether to just wait until tomorrow to see if I can see the dentist or possibly take some penicillin, I'm a bit apprehensive about doing that after some v unpleasant symptoms when taking it a month or two ago(I still have some left because I stopped taking it after a couple days). I was maybe hoping the dentist might prescribe me some clindamycin or something different to penicillin to see if I respond better to that or even if some small amount of infection is no biggie. I have a dentist in the family who said some basically exactly that - some infection is possible but you'll fight it off.

InChristAlone

Had a tooth extracted the day before yesterday, think it might be infected. The pain eased off yesterday until later at night it started hurting more again and I noticed some slight dark green colour in the scab. There is some slight swelling that can be felt from cheek side and swollen lymph node on the same side (though it's been like that since the moment of extraction) I don't feel much worse than normal just very low energy but it seems slightly infected.

Not sure whether to just wait until tomorrow to see if I can see the dentist or possibly take some penicillin, I'm a bit apprehensive about doing that after some v unpleasant symptoms when taking it a month or two ago(I still have some left because I stopped taking it after a couple days). I was maybe hoping the dentist might prescribe me some clindamycin or something different to penicillin to see if I respond better to that or even if some small amount of infection is no biggie. I have a dentist in the family who said some basically exactly that - some infection is possible but you'll fight it off.
Did you start doing the saltwater rinses yet??

OP
B

Bluemachine

Did you start doing the saltwater rinses yet??
Yes I started last night, they said to start not before 24hours, I started about 36. The pain & the discoloration started up just before I did my first rinse. I'm a little worried I left it a bit too long and some bacteria go in the wound

OP
B

Bluemachine

Just a theory but i think there might have been some latent infection already present as I had some swelling under jaw and lymph node on that side swelled up quite frequently for a while before I had this extraction and a couple of times where the nerves around the just removed tooth would be painful and ear on that side and headache. There was a chip in that tooth that I hadn't realised had developed a lot exposing the root for I don't know how long & I just thought the pain was coming from the tooth next to it that I had a root canal on a while ago. Could it possibly be that removing the tooth has made it easier for my body to get at the latent infection and now it is fighting it off?

Whichway?

Yeah pain and swelling is just a sign that your body is mopping something up. If it begins to throb you need to seek medical assistance. Before that I would be taking Vitamin C 3x day or whenever it begins to hurt, thyroid if you have some, and vitamin D and K. With rest and good nutrition your body should be able to handle it. Keep monitoring it though.