Induction / Electric Cooking (pic)

Optimus

I am planning to lease an apartment and I see that it has electric stoves. I have attached a picture below as am not familiar with this type. What is Peat’s view regarding electric (induction) Stoves for cooking? Any negatives or is it a non-issue?

Attachments

• 3AA63843-1271-4820-82EB-CC009F414533.jpeg
    3AA63843-1271-4820-82EB-CC009F414533.jpeg
    63.5 KB · Views: 35

Waynish

I don't see why it would cause a problem. The cookware might be ***t though.

yerrag

Induction stoves are good. It's not popular in places where gas is cheap, but where fuel is costly, it is an economical alternative to gas stoves. It is very efficient in converting electricity to heat, and this brings huge savings. Not only that, the item gets heated up far more quickly.

The downside is I can't use it to deep fry as the heat sensor trips up when the high temps needed for deep frying is reached. For that, I use an infrared stove.

New condo units in Manila don't allow gas stoves anymore so this leaves no other choice but to go induction.

OP
O

Optimus

I don't see why it would cause a problem. The cookware might be ***t though.
Because of the high EMFs ??

But that would be specific to induction cooktops and not electric, right? I am not sure the one in picture is induction or otherwise though.
Help appreciated.

David PS

They use resistant heating elements. Chegg.com The heating elements are made out of a ceramic material.

To form the heating elements, ceramic raw materials (powders) are molded into the desired shape and then heated at high temperatures for a time just long enough so that the particles in the powders fuse to form a solid. Under a microscope the individual particles of the powder are still visible in the heating elements.

The resistance heating occurs when an electric current is passed through the material. There is resistance to current flow at the interface of the individual particles and this electrical resistance causes heating element heat and even glow red hot. Overtime the repeated use of the heating elements (thermal cycling) causes the individual particles in the heating element to further coalesce and the interface between the particles slowly disappear. When this happens, there is less resistance to electrical flow in the heating elements (and less heat generated) from the same amount of current. At this point, people often assume that their stove/oven is broken because the heating elements no longer heat to a high temperature. But they just need to replace the heating elements.
Amazon.com: electric stove coil

Last edited:
OP
O

Optimus

^^ Thanks guys. But I am confused by the below Video. It shows EMF for what looks like an Electric coil heater. Isn't it??

schultz

The cooktop in the picture is an electric coil stove. An induction stove is something different and uses an electromagnetic field to heat up the pan. I really like the idea of them but I don't really trust them for health reasons. They probably give off massive EMF.

The video above is just a resistance type of heat source with a glass or ceramic top. If you turn an induction burner on without a pot on it, it doesn't get hot. It needs some kind of ferromagnetic pan, like steel, iron, etc.

Edit: I like the youtube comment on the video I posted about having the metal tape measure on the stove top.

Edit2: And the other comment about CO2 poisoning the air, lol. I think he means CO. The CO2 emitted by a gas stove is like a bonus.

Last edited:
OP
O

Optimus

@schultz ok, the induction cooktop is definitely to be avoided due to the EMF.

But what about the electric (resistance) type of cooktop? According to the video I posted, there are EMF dangers from this type too. Isn't it?

baggywrinkle

according to experiments by associates of Rudolf Steiner's work

seeds were sprouted from water heated then cooled from various methods and containers

from worse to best , electricity, gas, wood, straw , as a heat source
from best to worse vessels, aluminum, stainless, earthen ware

so cooking in aluminum on an electric stove passed on little life force to sprout seeds with
but straw/wood heated in a clay casserole vessel baked was the most life giving

JudiBlueHen

Forum Supporter
A coil-top electric stove is safest if you have sensitivity to fumes (gas or propane). Regular glass top stoves are fine too, as they do not have as much EMF as induction. I like the coil top as they heat evenly at any temperature, whereas the glass top (coil inside) is driven on-off in cycles to generate the proper amount of heat. If your pans are not heavy, then these glass top stoves can cause the food to start/stop boiling as the coil goes on/off.

OP
O

Optimus

Guys, Ray Peat replied to this query. Posting here for others benefit.
381311AE-5505-49DD-A46A-E7FDA2439AF9.jpeg

yerrag

I've been using induction cookers for a long time and pretty much dispensed with the use of gas burners. Certainly not a fan of the electric coil burners as it's expensive to use given the high cost of electricity in Manila at about 24 cents $ per kwH.

May have to go back to gas burners or use infrared stove instead.

Maybe for long cooking I'll use the infrared stove and for short cooking still use induction.

I don't think it's anywhere as bad as microwave cooking. The exposure to induction cooking is of limited duration. I wonder how it compares to being exposed to wifi and 4g or 5g all day though. Knowing these will put the use of induction stoves in a perspective where we know how much lesser radiation we're getting if we continue to be exposed to the 24/7 forms of radiation.

rei

They put out massive amounts of EMF, how harmful it is is based on the frequency and waveform. I have not been able to locate studies of their effect, so the safety certification might be based on same assumption as with mobile phones that non-ionizing radiation cannot be harmful before absurd power levels. Even when decades of research shows clear harm at 10-1000 times less.

yerrag

I'm not so sure I'd put the induction cookers on the same level of bad as microwave ovens. With microwave ovens, I have the impression that the food itself loses its nutritive value, as the microwave robs the food of its life-sustaining properties. I don't think the induction cooker does the same thing to do food, even though the emf it produces would be harmful to the one who's doing the cooking.

Even so, it's good to know that induction stoves are harmful for the EMF radiation it emits. I guess I can do with the slower heatup time of the standard electric hot plate stove, but I'd prefer a gas stove only because electricity is expensive where I live. But I've also come to appreciate the use of an infrared stovetop. I'm pretty sure it's safe as it's infrared, right?