Indomethacin Inhibits The Effects Of Oestrogen In The Anterior Pituitary Gland Of The Rat

Hugh Johnson

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2754375

Abstract
Two inhibitors of prostaglandin synthesis, indomethacin and aspirin, blocked the increase of oestrogen-binding sites in the nuclear subcellular fraction, an increase which occurs after the administration of oestradiol. Consequently the biological effects of oestrogens in the anterior pituitary gland of the rat (prolactin synthesis, concentration of progesterone-binding sites and cell proliferation) are diminished. The anterior pituitary gland synthesized prostaglandin F2 alpha (PGF2 alpha), PGE2 and PGD2 from arachidonic acid. This synthesis was blocked when indomethacin was added to the culture media. Oestrogen increased the concentration of PGE2: an increase that was partially prevented by indomethacin. Prostaglandins may have an important role on the effects of oestrogen in the anterior pituitary gland of the rat.

Luann

Neat. I read something about how the NSAIDs - I assume they meant aspirin as well as the others - will cause lipolysis since prostaglandin and lipolysis are in some kind of feedback loop. And I dont think lipolysis or lipid mobilization is a good thing. Indomethacin inhibits this lipolysis. Glad to see that it's protective against estrogen too.