Increasing Testosterone

klomglor

I am looking for advice about raising my very low testosterone level. I was hoping that some of the seasoned members who I look up to like @haidut could reply if possible.

I have been interested in Ray Peat's work for several years, but I haven't had any luck increasing my testosterone above the bottom of the range. Typically, my testosterone is 250 out of a 250 to 1000 range (nnmol/l or whatever the units are) -- it's always at the bottom of the range.

Before I took thyroid, several years ago, my cholesterol was 280. After I took thyroid, my cholesterol predictably dropped to 180. So I thought the cholesterol would be converting to the steroid hormones, but my DHEA and testosterone were still low. So then I thought I might be missing another precursor, like vitamin A or zinc, etc.

But despite eating a good diet with plenty of protein, liver, and oysters, my testosterone is still low. Even supplementing DHEA at 5 mg a day, bringing my low DHEA blood level up to the top of the range, did not increase my testosterone. Because of this, it makes me think that cortisol or something is keeping the testosterone low. Estradiol measured in the blood was in the middle of the range. I heard Peat in an interview with Jodelle say that there was a relationship between testosterone and cortisol.

I believe that Ray Peat typically says to take thyroid and vitamin A to increase testosterone. But do you know if there are other cases in which something else is going on, like an excess of cortisol that's keeping the testosterone down? The other issue I have, that I feel may be connected to this, is that taking a thyroid supplement no longer makes me feel warm. In fact, my feet often become freezing cold after taking a thyroid supplement, and this seems like it could be related to a lack of steroid hormone synthesis, due to some kind of hormonal blockage or precursor material deficiency.

Anyway, if you happened to have any insights, I'd be greatly appreciative.

brix

There’s many threads about this, but post labs. Cortisol suppress testosterone, as does prolactin.

Thyroid should help if you are hypo. But the typical suggestions are saturated fats, hitting all RDAs of vitamins and minerals, sleep, and getting enough calories.

GreekDemiGod

There are many ways to approach this, but first thing is you wanna get some lab tests, to identify the root cause.

Hans

Forum Supporter
I am looking for advice about raising my very low testosterone level. I was hoping that some of the seasoned members who I look up to like @haidut could reply if possible.

I have been interested in Ray Peat's work for several years, but I haven't had any luck increasing my testosterone above the bottom of the range. Typically, my testosterone is 250 out of a 250 to 1000 range (nnmol/l or whatever the units are) -- it's always at the bottom of the range.

Before I took thyroid, several years ago, my cholesterol was 280. After I took thyroid, my cholesterol predictably dropped to 180. So I thought the cholesterol would be converting to the steroid hormones, but my DHEA and testosterone were still low. So then I thought I might be missing another precursor, like vitamin A or zinc, etc.

But despite eating a good diet with plenty of protein, liver, and oysters, my testosterone is still low. Even supplementing DHEA at 5 mg a day, bringing my low DHEA blood level up to the top of the range, did not increase my testosterone. Because of this, it makes me think that cortisol or something is keeping the testosterone low. Estradiol measured in the blood was in the middle of the range. I heard Peat in an interview with Jodelle say that there was a relationship between testosterone and cortisol.

I believe that Ray Peat typically says to take thyroid and vitamin A to increase testosterone. But do you know if there are other cases in which something else is going on, like an excess of cortisol that's keeping the testosterone down? The other issue I have, that I feel may be connected to this, is that taking a thyroid supplement no longer makes me feel warm. In fact, my feet often become freezing cold after taking a thyroid supplement, and this seems like it could be related to a lack of steroid hormone synthesis, due to some kind of hormonal blockage or precursor material deficiency.

Anyway, if you happened to have any insights, I'd be greatly appreciative.
+1 what Brix said. I think there is most likely a vitamin or mineral deficiency that is slowing some of the enzymes in the pathway needed to create testosterone. If thyroid is lowering cholesterol it's most likely creating more preg, but then there is hiccup further down the path. I think it's rather nutrient deficiency than due to high cortisol or prolactin.

Kunstruct

If someone has hyperprolactinemia (which is not just a bit of prolactin, it is a lot of it) due to pituitary adenoma good look with diets and minerals, I know three persons in real life with this issue.

OP
K

klomglor

I was taking a combination of synthetic T3 and T4 in various ratios.

I don't have extensive lab test results. Basically I have the ones I mentioned: testosterone, TSH, DHEA, cholesterol, vitamin D.

My vitamin D was low, but from what I've read, I can only expect a 25% increase in testosterone after getting my vitmain D levels replete. 125% of 200 is not that much.

Thanks for correcting me on the units. I didn't have the lab tests in front of me and couldn't remember the units, but remembered the numbers.

Peat seemed to say in the interviews that sufficient androgen production will keep cortisol low, so that makes me think that I am lacking some catalyst substance, rather than my high cortisol driving down my testosterone, but I am seriously lacking studies and information on this.

I am looking around for studies. Seems zinc, retinol, vitamin K are sometimes known to increase testosterone in rats. A retinol deficiency in rats lowers testicular weight and testosterone production, I believe.

Any other nutrients I can look into?

A study says that a high ratio of carbohydrate to protein will increase testosterone. 60% of calories coming from carbohydrate will increase testosterone the most, according to a study.

I am currently increasing my sugar consumption to one cup a day, so that carbohydrate will predominate in my diet, and so that the sugar can lower cortisol if it is too high. I am also supplementing 10,000 IU vitmain A orally, along with 1 mg vitamin K. No noticeable difference yet in the way I feel -- presumably I would feel a difference if testosterone production were suddenly corrected.

I have read many if not all of the threads on this forum about testosterone production. There were some very promising results. Unfortunately, I did not totally understand some of the case studies presented. One young man managed to completely correct his problem, but I did not see any mention of vitamin A or zinc, for instance.

I feel like my case may be somewhat particular, as I have been eating saturated fats, sugar, protein, milk, limiting PUFA, etc. for quite some years, but still have this particular problem

Hans

Forum Supporter
I was taking a combination of synthetic T3 and T4 in various ratios.

I don't have extensive lab test results. Basically I have the ones I mentioned: testosterone, TSH, DHEA, cholesterol, vitamin D.

My vitamin D was low, but from what I've read, I can only expect a 25% increase in testosterone after getting my vitmain D levels replete. 125% of 200 is not that much.

Thanks for correcting me on the units. I didn't have the lab tests in front of me and couldn't remember the units, but remembered the numbers.

Peat seemed to say in the interviews that sufficient androgen production will keep cortisol low, so that makes me think that I am lacking some catalyst substance, rather than my high cortisol driving down my testosterone, but I am seriously lacking studies and information on this.

I am looking around for studies. Seems zinc, retinol, vitamin K are sometimes known to increase testosterone in rats. A retinol deficiency in rats lowers testicular weight and testosterone production, I believe.

Any other nutrients I can look into?

A study says that a high ratio of carbohydrate to protein will increase testosterone. 60% of calories coming from carbohydrate will increase testosterone the most, according to a study.

I am currently increasing my sugar consumption to one cup a day, so that carbohydrate will predominate in my diet, and so that the sugar can lower cortisol if it is too high. I am also supplementing 10,000 IU vitmain A orally, along with 1 mg vitamin K. No noticeable difference yet in the way I feel -- presumably I would feel a difference if testosterone production were suddenly corrected.

I have read many if not all of the threads on this forum about testosterone production. There were some very promising results. Unfortunately, I did not totally understand some of the case studies presented. One young man managed to completely correct his problem, but I did not see any mention of vitamin A or zinc, for instance.

I feel like my case may be somewhat particular, as I have been eating saturated fats, sugar, protein, milk, limiting PUFA, etc. for quite some years, but still have this particular problem
Focus on nutrient dense food rather than sugar.
A good diet will make supplements unnecessary.

OP
K

klomglor

@Hans I appreciate the sentiment, but I have tried for many years to eat a nutrient dense diet without much white sugar, and the result is that my androgens were and are very low. I am looking for new approaches since the old way didn't work. If there is some evidence that nutrient dense foods will increase testosterone, I am all ears.

OP
K

klomglor

@Aymen, I eat a tin of Crown Prince smoked oysters once or twice a week.

On regular days, without the oysters, cronometer is telling me I get 27 mg of zinc.

Hans

Forum Supporter
@Hans I appreciate the sentiment, but I have tried for many years to eat a nutrient dense diet without much white sugar, and the result is that my androgens were and are very low. I am looking for new approaches since the old way didn't work. If there is some evidence that nutrient dense foods will increase testosterone, I am all ears.
The fact that thyroid is not increasing testosterone either shows that there is a hiccup in the pathway, or that the T is converted to estrogen (estrone is important to measure too) or DHT.
Things like endotoxins, endocrine disruptors and heavy metals can also cause a block in the system. How is your digestion? Have you tested for heavy metals and using shower filters? Are you actively avoiding endocrine disruptors?

baccheion

Do you have any nutrient deficiencies? What were the results for luteinizing hormone, DHT, SHBG, etc?

Before doing anything else, it would be good to tend to deficiencies and caloric intake. At least a slight surplus, low PUFA, 0.8-1.2 grams protein per lb lean mass, 2x (or more) calories from carbs compared to protein, etc.

A LH test and others similar help eliminate primary hypogonadism, pituitary issues, and other causes of low testosterone.

richofden

Forum Supporter
I have some Testosterone in a homeopathic medication. It´s dilution is 30C, and some time ago I did a muscle test, standing with it close to my chest and notice whether I lean forward og backward, yes/no to what my body needs. And it kind of drags me forward like nothing else. So I rub some on my wrists and notice immediate benefits, especially in calming my body but still kind of wired in a great way. I bought it from Ainsworth in UK, but I´m sure it´s available other places.

golder

I have some Testosterone in a homeopathic medication. It´s dilution is 30C, and some time ago I did a muscle test, standing with it close to my chest and notice whether I lean forward og backward, yes/no to what my body needs. And it kind of drags me forward like nothing else. So I rub some on my wrists and notice immediate benefits, especially in calming my body but still kind of wired in a great way. I bought it from Ainsworth in UK, but I´m sure it´s available other places.
I’m guessing this doesn’t contain any of the active ingredient?

richofden

Forum Supporter
I’m guessing this doesn’t contain any of the active ingredient?
You guessed right, it´s based on vibration, energy.. well actually pretty Peaty as I ´ve perceived his way of thinking :): and not only Testerone, but also almost all other androgens hormonal remedies are available, joy to the world. I´m really excited cause the last few days I´ve had serious colitis attacks, and I´ve tried a lot of things to get be back on track. Then I realized that I hadn´t taken testosterone for a while, so I took it and yatzy, I´m back.

Quelsatron

Have you considered the possibility that this is complete psuedoscience?