Increasing T4 is positive for a while

marsaday

Why does an increase of T4 give such excellent results, but lasts only for around a week.

I have experienced it many times before if i do an increase and on decreases as well.

Is this something to do with altering the temporary level of TSH ?

I have been on 125 T4 and thought i may try seeing what 150 would be like. I have now dropped back to 125, but had a great 7 days on the extra 25 T4.

ilovethesea

I think this is very common. Many testimonials out there saying the same thing. An excess of T4 has an anti thyroid action. Or maybe it's even converting into RT3. I've seen many people say they feel good initially, but more they raise T4 dose, the worse their symptoms get, eventually to the point where they can't even tolerate T4 at all. Also, there is a Ray Peat interview where he talks about a woman whose doctors kept raising her T4 dose when she didn't feel symptoms were resolving. She ended up going into a coma. They had to revive her at hospital with T3.

OP
M

marsaday

I am sure the RT3 mechanism is being triggered more strongly, but initially it isnt stirred and so you feel good.

OP
M

marsaday

I have discovered something new which is very positive. It is still early days, but i hope i have cracked my fluctuating results with T4.

I have recently worked out that i respond much better to thyroid meds if i take them later in the day, rather than in the morning.

I have used occasional T3 in 5 mcg doses in the past and if i take it in the morning i become very unwell. I sort of go hypo. If i take it after around 3pm it really makes a positive difference. I think there is something going on with the cortisol / thyroid relationship here. My cortisol curve is normal and descends nicely, but i have high cortisol in the morning (over range) and then top of the range for the rest of the day.

Anyway i have always taken my 125 T4 dose on waking and then have been using T3 5mcg a couple of times a week in the late afternoon.

Well i have decided to see what it will be like to take the T4 later in the day as well. I have been taking it around noon and the results are much better. It is 6 days now doing it this way and everything is still humming along nicely.

If everything continues over the next few weeks i will make a specific post about this because i think it could be useful for others to mess around with their timings to try and match a particular adrenal pattern.

Vanced

Have you tried using NDT as well as T4? I have found this works the best for me.

OP
M

marsaday

I have tried NTH years ago and it was the same as T4 and T3. I now only use T4 really. I think the problem has been one of balance between the cortisol and thyroid because this relationship is disturbed in hypoT.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals