Increasing NAD lowers body weight, cholesterol and blood pressure

Mauritio

In this study they gave middle aged people "2 MIB-626 tablets each containing 500 mg of microcrystalline β-nicotinamide mononucleotide or placebo twice daily for 28 days."

Most notably the participants lost about 1.9kg of body weight in just 28 days.

Now was all over that fat ? Hard to say.

At least it seems like it wasnt muscle since they didnt show any decrease in strength.
On the other hand liver and intra-abdominal fat didn't change, so it might be subcutaneous fat or water weight (or a mix of those) that they lost.
The fact that the lowered weight correlates with a decrease in cholesterol might mean that there was an increase in thyroid function.

Either way, almost 2kg in one month is a pretty decent amount of weight loss. If they could keep that up for a year that'd be about 24kg of weight loss! Pretty significant. So I'd like to see a long term study using a similar approach.

"Body weight (difference -1.9 [-3.3, -0.5] kg, P = .008); diastolic blood pressure (difference -7.01 [-13.44, -0.59] mmHg, P = .034); total cholesterol (difference -26.89 [-44.34, -9.44] mg/dL, P = .004), low-density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol (-18.73 [-31.85, -5.60] mg/dL, P = .007), and nonhigh-density lipoprotein cholesterol decreased significantly more in the MIB-626 group than placebo. Changes in muscle strength, muscle fatigability, aerobic capacity, and stair-climbing power did not differ significantly between groups. Insulin sensitivity and hepatic and intra-abdominal fat did not change in either group."
- Nicotinamide Adenine Dinucleotide Augmentation in Overweight or Obese Middle-Aged and Older Adults: A Physiologic Study - PubMed

xeliex

Forum Supporter
In this study they gave middle aged people "2 MIB-626 tablets each containing 500 mg of microcrystalline β-nicotinamide mononucleotide or placebo twice daily for 28 days."

Most notably the participants lost about 1.9kg of body weight in just 28 days.

Now was all over that fat ? Hard to say.

At least it seems like it wasnt muscle since they didnt show any decrease in strength.
On the other hand liver and intra-abdominal fat didn't change, so it might be subcutaneous fat or water weight (or a mix of those) that they lost.
The fact that the lowered weight correlates with a decrease in cholesterol might mean that there was an increase in thyroid function.

Either way, almost 2kg in one month is a pretty decent amount of weight loss. If they could keep that up for a year that'd be about 24kg of weight loss! Pretty significant. So I'd like to see a long term study using a similar approach.

"Body weight (difference -1.9 [-3.3, -0.5] kg, P = .008); diastolic blood pressure (difference -7.01 [-13.44, -0.59] mmHg, P = .034); total cholesterol (difference -26.89 [-44.34, -9.44] mg/dL, P = .004), low-density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol (-18.73 [-31.85, -5.60] mg/dL, P = .007), and nonhigh-density lipoprotein cholesterol decreased significantly more in the MIB-626 group than placebo. Changes in muscle strength, muscle fatigability, aerobic capacity, and stair-climbing power did not differ significantly between groups. Insulin sensitivity and hepatic and intra-abdominal fat did not change in either group."
- Nicotinamide Adenine Dinucleotide Augmentation in Overweight or Obese Middle-Aged and Older Adults: A Physiologic Study - PubMed
Good stuff. Thanks for sharing.
There's someone on this forum that reported weight loss with smaller doses of niacinamide throughout the day.

OP
Mauritio

Mauritio

There's someone on this forum that reported weight loss with smaller doses of niacinamide throughout the day.
You're welcome

In this thread somebody noticed weight loss with higher doses of niacinamide. I guess people gotta figure out what works best for them .

Motorneuron

Depletes the methyl pool, many users report adverse effects on insulin resistance and weight gain...much discrepancy 🤔

I personally believe that if the use of methyl donors is not supported, niacinamide could be a problem in the medium to long term for many people.

Peatress

Thank you @Mauritio It seems everyone responds differently to niacinamide. I find it useful for joint pain but I have gained weight. I can't say it's the cause of the weight. When I stopped taking it I didn't feel right so I resumed. One noticeable difference was my digestion - it's better with niacinamide. It has never lowered my blood pressure.

I think it was @mostlylurking

mostlylurking

Thank you @Mauritio It seems everyone responds differently to niacinamide. I find it useful for joint pain but I have gained weight. I can't say it's the cause of the weight. When I stopped taking it I didn't feel right so I resumed. One noticeable difference was my digestion - it's better with niacinamide. It has never lowered my blood pressure.

I think it was @mostlylurking
I had taken around 150-200 mg niacinamide 2Xday for around 5 years with no weight loss. I experienced weight loss from taking niacinamide, 90mg 4Xday. I lost around 25-30 pounds in 4 months when taking the smaller dose more frequently.

This happened about 18 months after I started high dose thiamine hcl, 1 gram 2Xday. I recovered my health via the the high dose thiamine but I did not lose the weight I had put on (25 pounds in about 25 days, summer of 2020) when my thiamine function was blocked via Bactrim antibiotic. I'm still taking both high dose thiamine hcl and the niacinamide and my blood test results were very good this last time. I feel good and have good energy so I'm more active.

Peatress

I had taken around 150-200 mg niacinamide 2Xday for around 5 years with no weight loss. I experienced weight loss from taking niacinamide, 90mg 4Xday. I lost around 25-30 pounds in 4 months when taking the smaller dose more frequently.

This happened about 18 months after I started high dose thiamine hcl, 1 gram 2Xday. I recovered my health via the the high dose thiamine but I did not lose the weight I had put on (25 pounds in about 25 days, summer of 2020) when my thiamine function was blocked via Bactrim antibiotic. I'm still taking both high dose thiamine hcl and the niacinamide and my blood test results were very good this last time. I feel good and have good energy so I'm more active.
You’ve posted about this previously. Thank you for taking the time to explain again. The smaller doses are in keeping with Rays recommendations. My antibiotic use was in 2020 also. I’m still not consistent with my thiamine dosing. That could explain my lack of success. Your weight loss is very impressive. Well Done!

mostlylurking

You’ve posted about this previously. Thank you for taking the time to explain again. The smaller doses are in keeping with Rays recommendations. My antibiotic use was in 2020 also. I’m still not consistent with my thiamine dosing. That could explain my lack of success. Your weight loss is very impressive. Well Done!
At the time that the weight came off I wasn't even trying to lose the weight. I hadn't weighed myself for several months, then got on the scale because my pants fit differently and had dropped from 178 to 144-145. I did finally get down to 141 but cannot seem to get below 140. The smaller dose of niacinamide taken more frequently made me feel better I think.

Have you considered trying the sublingual thiamine? I tried it for about a week but went back to the thiamine hcl because I am confident my dose is set right for me with that type. More info about the sublingual type is here. The plus is that your intestine doesn't need to absorb it; the negative is figuring out how much you need to take. One a day might work or one every other day? I just don't know. You could try one a day for a while and see how it works for you.

Frankdee20

Higher doses of Niacinamide will require alot more sugar and food to prevent stress response, so it makes sense that lower doses wont cause overeating.

Peatress

At the time that the weight came off I wasn't even trying to lose the weight. I hadn't weighed myself for several months, then got on the scale because my pants fit differently and had dropped from 178 to 144-145. I did finally get down to 141 but cannot seem to get below 140. The smaller dose of niacinamide taken more frequently made me feel better I think.

Have you considered trying the sublingual thiamine? I tried it for about a week but went back to the thiamine hcl because I am confident my dose is set right for me with that type. More info about the sublingual type is here. The plus is that your intestine doesn't need to absorb it; the negative is figuring out how much you need to take. One a day might work or one every other day? I just don't know. You could try one a day for a while and see how it works for you.
This is the one I am using sublingually at the moment . I only manage once or twice a day

iu

Peatress

correction to my last post: The sublingual b1 at Amazon linked in my last post ($7.00) contains 100 tabs, not 80 so the tabs cost $.07 each.
It has excipents. The one I posted is pretty clean and very well absorbed. The only drawback is that it needs to be refrigerated.

mostlylurking

It has excipents. The one I posted is pretty clean and very well absorbed. The only drawback is that it needs to be refrigerated.
71qFZFENh9L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

It's got some lactose (milk sugar), a little stevia, some natural cherry flavor, and some acacia gum. I'm not a fan of gums, but overall, the excipients in this product seem pretty benign to me.

The thiamine hcl that I use is pure powder that I dissolve in plain water. But a high dose is necessary because it does not get through the intestinal wall efficiently.

Peatress

71qFZFENh9L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

It's got some lactose (milk sugar), a little stevia, some natural cherry flavor, and some acacia gum. I'm not a fan of gums, but overall, the excipients in this product seem pretty benign to me.

The thiamine hcl that I use is pure powder that I dissolve in plain water. But a high dose is necessary because it does not get through the intestinal wall efficiently.
I've got the LGS thiamine HCL powder I just need to be more disciplined about taking it. It's almost a year since I went back to eating starch - I think I may have to drop the starch again.

xeliex

Forum Supporter
Higher doses of Niacinamide will require alot more sugar and food to prevent stress response, so it makes sense that lower doses wont cause overeating.
You know, I experience this too. I eat with so much pleasure after niacinamide 250mg. Perhaps the net effect is a zero, but there is clearly something happening there. Good thought.

xeliex

Forum Supporter
Depletes the methyl pool, many users report adverse effects on insulin resistance and weight gain...much discrepancy 🤔

I personally believe that if the use of methyl donors is not supported, niacinamide could be a problem in the medium to long term for many people.
Perhaps that's why I crave meat when I take niacinamide? Wouldn't lots of orange juice and meat be enough to support the methyl pool?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals