Increased Vit D Supplementation Leads To Muscle Twitching

squanch

Vitamin d increases absorption of calcium. Magnesium and calcium are somewhat opposites when it comes to muscle function (at least in mainstream medicine). One is important for muscle relaxation, the other for muscle contraction.
I would try the magnesium and b6 combo (b6 helps greatly with absorption of magnesium in my experience, prevents diarrhea at higher doses). Magnesium chloride/ -bicarbonate or -acetate and b6 (p5p)

Agent207

To my knowledge you can't reach that level unless you be a surfer or lifeguard, being no cloths whole day.

That's not natural to humans I think.

I don't think so. I would say 1h midsun, 80% skin exposure, 3-4 times a week, and you could easily approximate to those levels long term for a III-IV type skin (in an acceptable latitude/year season).

That it IS very natural to humans I think, and is far from the scenario you're drawing. What it's not, is living in homes and offices all the time and having <40ng levels and trying to poorly compensate it with oral d3. Thats the unnatural.

Last edited:

paymanz

I don't think so. I would say 1h midsun, 80% skin exposure, 3-4 times a week, and you could easily approximate to those levels long term for a III-IV type skin (in an acceptable latitude/year season).

That it IS very natural to humans I think, and is far from the scenario you're drawing. What it's not, is living in homes and offices all the time and having <40ng levels and trying to poorly compensate it with oral d3. Thats the unnatural.
What I say is that those levels you mentioned only documented for people around Ecuador ,who are life guards or surfers.as much as I remember,if you have reliable resources showing more than 60ng attained naturaly please let me know.

Of course with duration you mentioned,not sunbathing whole day!

paymanz

There is reasons massai people cover their body despite warm temperatures and their very dark skin.

Even vitamin d council doesn't advise to go that high.

Agent207

What I say is that those levels you mentioned only documented for people around Ecuador ,who are life guards or surfers.as much as I remember,if you have reliable resources showing more than 60ng attained naturaly please let me know

What I say is let alone the internet resources for a moment and get 3-4h midsun 80% exposure a week for a while, then go check your 25OH and you'll see for yourself, out of curiosity.

paymanz

What I say is let alone the internet resources for a moment and get 3-4h midsun 80% exposure a week for a while, then go check your 25OH and you'll see for yourself, out of curiosity.
That's good,please share your experience..have you done that?

Agent207

That's good,please share your experience..have you done that?

Yep, in summer or my last holidays to Punta Cana I got tons of sun exposure and the feeling is awesome. I only had my 25OH levels checked twice, both at winter's end and last one after several months of almost none sunlight and I did 40 and 41. I guess that's from the summer reserve that sustains minimum levels for a time with no uvb; I estimate at the end of summer my levels to be some higher.

Sun is a lot more than vitD, but I think summer levels are the ideal. Don't know what could happen if I skip a summer from body sun exposure. When I say tons I mean 6-7h max a week, on swimwear. Definitely not the whole day lifeguard style you're talking. I don't think its good too that much for long term.

Agent207

What is your opinion of using UVB bulbs during the winter?

A smart approach in today's modern life. You want uvb narrowband 311nm to get the most out of it, the pro-d3 without unnecessary ROS and collagen damage from uva.

It's important to start with short exposure times until you know your minimal erythema dose.

paymanz

Atlanta I suggest if you want use uvb , also include some red and infrared from incandescent bulb ,that inhibit inflammation and damage from uvb.

OP
mayweatherking
Vit D might enable the immune system to attack pathogens that were resistant to previous immune action. As a result, increased endotoxins might irritate the nerves and cause twitching. A similar thing happened to me with cypro.

Yeah this is actually my.thought too. because when I have a bowel movement I notice I get better.

Anyway, but a new development happened. Jesus man, im pretty sure I sbould.write a book when this is all said and.done. I.think ive made basically every mistake you can make in regards to peating but continuing to keep trying anyway Lmao.... people must think I am crazy lol...

So I started upping my B vits a lot. just eating a lot of beef. so at one point all my muscles relaxes completely, it was great, but it was like a magnesium like effect.

So im thinking great great this is good. anyway I fall asleep and get hungry again. I go eat cheese and oj... here we go again, all of a sudden instead of muscle twitching, I have bone aches now. wtf???? on my fingers. anytime I eat food im getting bone ache. I can tell you everthing that doesn't work. vit A, zinc, vit D, k2, progesterone, pregnenlone.

Okay finally I try thyroid and vit e. boom, bone pain gone and libido kicks in. Jesus finally. my thought. increasing vit A inhibited thyroid greatly. maybe now all the randomness will be over......' lmao. probably not, lets see what happens tomorrow.. Lol.

haidut

Forum Supporter
Moans, stones, groans, bones and psychiatric overtones... hypercalcemia?

KMUD: 11-18-16 Vitamin D

Hey, quick question - where in that link is there discussion about vitamin D and hypercalcemia? I am getting quite a few questions like that over email. From what I see online, the twitching is actually a sign of HYPOcalcemia. The respiratory alkalosis is actually a very likely direct cause in hypothyroid people, but it still causes the symptoms due to drop in blood Ca.
Hypocalcemia
"...Chronic moderate hypocalcemia may be completely asymptomatic. Acute hypocalcemia causes increased neuromuscular irritability, underlying the most prominent symptoms. The clinical manifestation is tetany, repetitive neuromuscular discharge after a single stimulus. Tetany is seen in severe hypocalcemia (ionized Ca level lower than 1.1 mmol/L). Milder forms of neuromuscular irritability are paresthesias and numbness of the fingertips and perioral area. Twitching of the ipsilateral facial musculature (perioral, nasal, and eye muscles) by tapping over cranial nerve VII at the ear is known as Chvostek's sign. Contraction at the oral angle alone is seen in 10% to 25% of the normal population. Trousseau's sign consists of carpal spasm provoked by ischemia, induced by inflation of the blood pressure measuring cuff around the arm, or alkalosis, provoked by hyperventilation. Spontaneous muscle cramps are commonly seen in hypocalcemia. Prolonged contraction of the respiratory and laryngeal muscles causes stridorous breathing and can cause cyanosis. Other symptoms and signs are listed in Box 1."
Chvostek sign - Wikipedia
"...The Chvostek sign (/ˈkvɒstᵻk/) is a clinical sign of existing nerve hyperexcitability (tetany) seen in hypocalcemia.[1] It refers to an abnormal reaction to the stimulation of the facial nerve. When the facial nerve is tapped at the angle of the jaw (i.e. masseter muscle), the facial muscles on the same side of the face will contract momentarily (typically a twitch of the nose or lips) because of hypocalcemia (i.e. from hypoparathyroidism, pseudohypoparathyroidism, hypovitaminosis D) with resultant hyperexcitability of nerves. Though classically described in hypocalcemia, this sign may also be encountered in respiratory alkalosis, such as that seen in hyperventilation, which actually causes decreased serum Ca2+ with a normal calcium level due to a shift of Ca2+ from the blood to albumin which has become more negative in the alkalotic state."

postman

Hey, quick question - where in that link is there discussion about vitamin D and hypercalcemia? I am getting quite a few questions like that over email. From what I see online, the twitching is actually a sign of HYPOcalcemia. The respiratory alkalosis is actually a very likely direct cause in hypothyroid people, but it still causes the symptoms due to drop in blood Ca.
Hypocalcemia
"...Chronic moderate hypocalcemia may be completely asymptomatic. Acute hypocalcemia causes increased neuromuscular irritability, underlying the most prominent symptoms. The clinical manifestation is tetany, repetitive neuromuscular discharge after a single stimulus. Tetany is seen in severe hypocalcemia (ionized Ca level lower than 1.1 mmol/L). Milder forms of neuromuscular irritability are paresthesias and numbness of the fingertips and perioral area. Twitching of the ipsilateral facial musculature (perioral, nasal, and eye muscles) by tapping over cranial nerve VII at the ear is known as Chvostek's sign. Contraction at the oral angle alone is seen in 10% to 25% of the normal population. Trousseau's sign consists of carpal spasm provoked by ischemia, induced by inflation of the blood pressure measuring cuff around the arm, or alkalosis, provoked by hyperventilation. Spontaneous muscle cramps are commonly seen in hypocalcemia. Prolonged contraction of the respiratory and laryngeal muscles causes stridorous breathing and can cause cyanosis. Other symptoms and signs are listed in Box 1."
Chvostek sign - Wikipedia
"...The Chvostek sign (/ˈkvɒstᵻk/) is a clinical sign of existing nerve hyperexcitability (tetany) seen in hypocalcemia.[1] It refers to an abnormal reaction to the stimulation of the facial nerve. When the facial nerve is tapped at the angle of the jaw (i.e. masseter muscle), the facial muscles on the same side of the face will contract momentarily (typically a twitch of the nose or lips) because of hypocalcemia (i.e. from hypoparathyroidism, pseudohypoparathyroidism, hypovitaminosis D) with resultant hyperexcitability of nerves. Though classically described in hypocalcemia, this sign may also be encountered in respiratory alkalosis, such as that seen in hyperventilation, which actually causes decreased serum Ca2+ with a normal calcium level due to a shift of Ca2+ from the blood to albumin which has become more negative in the alkalotic state."
So do you have an alternative hypothesis as to why milk would cause such symptoms, and how would you deal with it?

FitnessMike

Last edited: