increased hours of sleep

Dutchie

A couple of weeks/months ago, I used to sleep a steady 7hours a nigth and wake up refreshed.with less hours i ofcourse felt tired,but also couldnt stay in bed longer than 7hours despite bedtime of going to bed. This was the first time in my life i had such a steady sleep pattern and liked it.

Lately im laying in bed and sleeping longer for about 9 to 10hours and still feel kinda off when getting up. I wonderr whats the cause for this sleep increase again bc i dont feel tired apart from 'starting up'issues which ive had for years,so the steady 7h and waking more energetic/positive was something new to me and i really liked it. So what happened here? :s

freal

Hmmm. It take 2 hours for the body to digest a meal. The hours from 23.00 (I consider the daylight saving time clock change) to 03.00 is when the physichal reapir takes place and 03.00 to 07.00 is the time when physiological repair take place. This are the most important time to sleep.

Where yuo going to bed later or have you been eating before bed time.

OP
D

Dutchie

freal said:
Hmmm. It take 2 hours for the body to digest a meal. The hours from 23.00 (I consider the daylight saving time clock change) to 03.00 is when the physichal reapir takes place and 03.00 to 07.00 is the time when physiological repair take place. This are the most important time to sleep.
Code:

Where yuo going to bed later or have you been eating before bed time.
No, i go to bed past midnigth now as i did usually back then. I know i go to bed way too late, my lifee's especially emotionally/mental is a drag anyway.(and yes ive tried meditating,mindfullness and all the other psychological and new age ***t btu it only makes me more uncomfortable)
Anyway,as said my time going to bed,eating ebfore bedtime etc.all those factors havent changed.

jaguar43

Dutchie said:
A couple of weeks/months ago, I used to sleep a steady 7hours a nigth and wake up refreshed.with less hours i ofcourse felt tired,but also couldnt stay in bed longer than 7hours despite bedtime of going to bed. This was the first time in my life i had such a steady sleep pattern and liked it.

Lately im laying in bed and sleeping longer for about 9 to 10hours and still feel kinda off when getting up. I wonderr whats the cause for this sleep increase again bc i dont feel tired apart from 'starting up'issues which ive had for years,so the steady 7h and waking more energetic/positive was something new to me and i really liked it. So what happened here? :s

ray has said that getting to much sleep decreases blood sugar, and sleeping shorty causes increase blood sugar.

Dan W

Coming from another angle, I wonder if you were sleeping less and feeling energized because of some stimulating stress hormone that has now returned to normal. Like a Matt Stone-style "catecholamine honeymoon" where there's an unsustainable energetic period that deceptively looks like true metabolic energy.

Just a shot in the dark.

Mittir

RP explained in an interview that surge in cortisol makes us wake up.
Cortisol increases through out the night but glycogen storage of liver is
the main controlling factor here. Eating sugary food before bed helps with
repleting the liver glycogen. It is possible that your liver is storing more
glycogen than before and letting you sleep for more hours.
When i have a 8/9 hours of sleep i feel rested but also dehydrated.
What do you eat before bed? Any major change in diet since
your 7 hour sleep habit.

OP
D

Dutchie

@jag what is the rigth amount of sleep according to Ray? Bc for the first time in my life or at least as long as i can remember,i never had such a steady sleeping pattern. I was becoming one of those people i sometimes heard saying they never needed to set an alarm! That had. always been such a mystery to me.

@Dan thats also a valid explanation,but i dont think thats the case for me. As mentioned above,it felt. Like i was finally getting a rhytm and usually i also woke up with good mood and not the anxiety/depression/lethargy/lazyness or whatever that i most of my days experience now.

@mittir the liver seems to be a vital part in everything,but i dont entirely get your story about the possible increased storage. Is it a good or bad thing,what does it mean exactly? If i recall correctly the steady sleeping pattern was when i was 'inspired' ny 180Degrees and for a while daily ate entire organic speltcakes,bars of chocolate,spelt butter or coconut cookies,entire tubs of icecream. Daily rotating mostly between those foods,depending on what i instinctively seemed to crave. Back then i was working as a volunterr at a handicapped healthcare facillity where they gardened organically but also baked.

Mittir

Increasing ability to store more glycogen( it is a form of glucose) in liver is a good thing.
More carbohydrate one eats, especially fructose+glucose mix and lactose, the more glucose is stored in liver.
Glycogen provides the energy supply during sleep and inhibits breakdown of muscle tissue.

gretchen

Sounds like torpor-type hibernation thyroid issues which should improve during the summer. Mine do anyway. I've found coconut oil gives a boost. An aspirin before bed also. Do you spend enough time outside? I've found more than an hour a day helps. You could also try Earthing which is either walking barefoot or sleeping on a special sheet:
http://www.earthing.com/

Dan W

I agree with Gretchen about the Earthing. It sounds kooky, and I wonder about the quality of the studies done on it, but seems to have improved my sleep. And you can experiment with an ankle/wrist cuff instead of the expensive sheets.

OP
D

Dutchie

gretchen said:
Sounds like torpor-type hibernation thyroid issues which should improve during the summer. Mine do anyway. I've found coconut oil gives a boost. An aspirin before bed also. Do you spend enough time outside? I've found more than an hour a day helps. You could also try Earthing which is either walking barefoot or sleeping on a special sheet:
http://www.earthing.com/

I flee the house for the entire day and try to be outside
as much as possible,i always pray for it not to rain bc i seriously cant handle dark rainy days well anymore. In the past i used to love those kind of days(if not in excess) and just put on comfy clothes,lay on the couch and hold an xfilesmarathon or such(was a die-hard fan at the time) or draw or something else creative.

The problem is not getting to sleep&staying asleep,that all is remarkably fine. Its the sudden increase in hours of sleep again and these anxious feelings when awakened and the slow 'starting up'phase.

I know about earthing,thing is i find new agy&spiritual stuff fascinating but other part of me gets put off by it,its just too much and doesnt want to go into such deep things

Mauritio

Like peat said, I think they have the theory backwards. They claim to give you free electrons but that would probably cause cancer . I think it might actually steal electrons or work through a other pathway .