Increased Calorie Burn

messtafarian

I use a little gadget called Bodymedia -- or I did before the one I had broke and I wasn't sure I wanted a new one because they're a hundred dollars. But after charting my calories and nutrients for a couple of days on Cronometer I wanted to see how much of a surplus there really was considering I am starving and eating all the time. When you allow yourself to eat sugar, man - especially after limiting it for most of your life, it's like having a tapeworm.

Since the beginning of the summer, I haven't really been able to work out at all. At least for the past two weeks I've been in bed, recovering from surgery. Today I woke up, cleaned a little, did a load of laundry ( put laundry from laundry basket in front of machine into washing machine and then into dryer), went to the grocery store, came home, surfed the internet.

In my old life I was a big walker and did Pilates four times a week. I was really active, but most days Bodymedia would say I burned around two thousand calories. On a day like today back then, pre-peat, my calorie burn would have been around 1700 to 1800.

Today my new bodymedia device told me I burned 2300 calories. I ate about 2400 but in answer to the question -- how much of a surplus? A lot less than I thought.