Increase Productivity?

GutFeeling

Hello everyone, I was trying to find a way to have more energy for projects, I already used marapuama + catuaba but had a productivity decrease, my brain started to concentrate only in the basics :cat:

Does anyone know of supplements / food / tricks that help with productivity?

Thanks

baccheion

Intermittent fasting. Productivity tends to go up during the fasted state.

Nootropics.

Meditation.

Iodine (protocol).

Cirion

Intermittent fasting. Productivity tends to go up during the fasted state.

Cortisol is one heck of a drug. I did that for a while and yeah productivity went up but I was manic AF, almost bipolar.

Mauritio

I think productivity positively correlates to dopamine levels, so :

caffeine
Nootropics (modafinil!)
Lisuride
diamant(admantane)
phenibut
tyrosine
thyroid

Nothing beats Ritalin. R$50 in Pague Menos

rawmeat

@lampofred is onto something with the sleep deprivation. It really helps your body out of a state of torpor.
Been trying it out for 2 weeks now, and my productivity has skyrocketed! When I hear my alarm clock I wake tf up and begin on the task I know I must to complete for the day. Keeping busy just feels good in iteslf too imo--very rewarding.

Cirion

@lampofred is onto something with the sleep deprivation. It really helps your body out of a state of torpor.
Been trying it out for 2 weeks now, and my productivity has skyrocketed! When I hear my alarm clock I wake tf up and begin on the task I know I must to complete for the day. Keeping busy just feels good in iteslf too imo--very rewarding.

Like I said earlier, cortisol is one heck of a drug =P ... Until it stops working and you crash. Most of corporate america (I'd go so far as to say 90-95%) is sleep deprived, and look where that has got us -- fat, hypothyroid, lazy, stupid, etc. Sure it wakes you up, but that's exactly the purpose of adrenaline.

I was watching the TV show "Supergirl" where the head woman of the newspaper agency brags about how she sleeps only 2 hrs a night. Running off pure adrenaline, someone like that is going to crash - and crash hard.

My mom is friends with a couple and the wife absolutely destroyed her health. She was bragging about productive she was on 30 minutes of sleep a night. Sure enough, a few years of that and she COMPLETELY destroyed her health (a whole battery of health issues now like diabetes, having to be on oxygen to name a couple).

rawmeat

Like I said earlier, cortisol is one heck of a drug =P ... Until it stops working and you crash. Most of corporate america (I'd go so far as to say 90-95%) is sleep deprived, and look where that has got us -- fat, hypothyroid, lazy, stupid, etc. Sure it wakes you up, but that's exactly the purpose of adrenaline.

I was watching the TV show "Supergirl" where the head woman of the newspaper agency brags about how she sleeps only 2 hrs a night. Running off pure adrenaline, someone like that is going to crash - and crash hard.

My mom is friends with a couple and the wife absolutely destroyed her health. She was bragging about productive she was on 30 minutes of sleep a night. Sure enough, a few years of that and she COMPLETELY destroyed her health (a whole battery of health issues now like diabetes, having to be on oxygen to name a couple).

and I'm talking 4-6hr sleeps as opposed to the usual 8-10 that I get... not 30 mins or 2 hrs.

been tracking my temps and pulse for a year now, and they have remained optimal throughout this experiment--even .2 degrees higher midday than normal. It certainly seems effective at reducing serotonin also.

Cirion

and I'm talking 4-6hr sleeps as opposed to the usual 8-10 that I get... not 30 mins or 2 hrs.

been tracking my temps and pulse for a year now, and they have remained optimal throughout this experiment--even .2 degrees higher midday than normal. It certainly seems effective at reducing serotonin also.

What are your waking temps and pulses though?

It's probably due to poor liver glycogen stores. You could make the argument that its more dangerous to fast / run out of glucose than it is to miss an hr or two of sleep, that's possible. FWIW, I find my glucose stores only last 4-6 hrs (gauged by how long I can sleep before getting awakened by adrenaline/glucose depletion) which happens to perfectly coincide with your total sleep hrs.

But when I try to get by on 4-6 hrs, I feel like trash, lol. My adrenals are completely burned out at this point I guess. What ends up happening, is adrenaline wakes me up at 4-6 hr mark -- so I might get fooled into thinking hey I can start the day. Then I'll eat, adrenaline gets shut down, and I want to go back to bed again.

Maybe I'll try it though. The fact is a lot of things I'm doing now aren't working, so maybe it's time to mix things up. I am not convinced sleep deprivation in and of itself is helpful, but I absolutely can see how avoiding glucose depletion can be helpful.

Last edited:

rawmeat

Waking temps usually 98 degrees and pulse is between 65-75 as a young athlete.

Again, based on my experience, it is a good remedy to keep your body out of a state of torpor.

I have also found that my temps are higher throughout the day when don't touch blue light/phone for at least an hour after rising! Technology is very stressful--the devices themselves along with the mindless/negative content on social media!

Last edited:

lampofred

It's probably due to poor liver glycogen stores. You could make the argument that its more dangerous to fast / run out of glucose than it is to miss an hr or two of sleep, that's possible. FWIW, I find my glucose stores only last 4-6 hrs (gauged by how long I can sleep before getting awakened by adrenaline/glucose depletion) which happens to perfectly coincide with your total sleep hrs.

But when I try to get by on 4-6 hrs, I feel like trash, lol. My adrenals are completely burned out at this point I guess. What ends up happening, is adrenaline wakes me up at 4-6 hr mark -- so I might get fooled into thinking hey I can start the day. Then I'll eat, adrenaline gets shut down, and I want to go back to bed again.

Maybe I'll try it though. The fact is a lot of things I'm doing now aren't working, so maybe it's time to mix things up. I am not convinced sleep deprivation in and of itself is helpful, but I absolutely can see how avoiding glucose depletion can be helpful.

Sleep deprivation is known to decrease serotonin/prolactin and increase thyroid hormone. Anything that raises metabolism increases cortisol. High cortisol is not necessarily a bad thing, unless something both slows metabolism and raises cortisol at the same time, which is degenerative (like PUFA).

mrchibbs

Sleep deprivation is known to decrease serotonin/prolactin and increase thyroid hormone. Anything that raises metabolism increases cortisol. High cortisol is not necessarily a bad thing, unless something both slows metabolism and raises cortisol at the same time, which is degenerative (like PUFA).

Do you have references to read re: sleep deprivation decreasing serotonin?

Cirion

"Anything that raises metabolism increases cortisol". That's not true. Things that normally raise metabolism may/can increase cortisol, but usually under sub-optimal conditions. For example - caffeine can increase cortisol, but only if liver is sluggish and/or insufficient calories are intaken. T3 can increase cortisol, but only if nutrient support is not provided. An increased metabolism should decrease cortisol, in general. Even if things did increase cortisol, the goal should be to maximize certain ratios. For example: Free testosterone to cortisol ratio is a pretty decent indicator of overall endocrine health. If your ratio increases from say 4 to 6, you're still healthier, even if say testosterone increased 70% and cortisol raised 15%... or something like that. In the study below, the T/C ratio decreases - a clear indicator of metabolic distress.

Effect of 1 Week of Sleep Restriction on Testosterone Levels in Young Healthy MenFREE

Basically in this one they go from 8-9 hr of sleep to like half (4-5 hr).

Here are the results of that in testosterone and cortisol:

upload_2019-7-30_23-9-29.png

At all points in the day, sleep restriction results in a deficit in test, and at several points in the day cortisol is higher also.

The cortisol at waking is interesting. It in facts explains the very phenomenom I just described earlire and that is:

Sleep deprivation re sults in a huge adrenaline spike, which "makes it easier to wake up" BUT, cortisol also drops like a rock, and more harshly, once you eat breakfast (as noted by the sharp decline quickly, sharper than the rested guys -- I found this to be true. I'd wake up energetic then want to fall back asleep on sleep deprivation). The rested folk - while they peak in the morning also, its more a gentle sinusoidal wave than a peak then a valley. Heck, the increase is so sharp it reminds me of Bitcoin's price history.

Last edited:

mrchibbs

Waking temps usually 98 degrees and pulse is between 65-75 as a young athlete.

Again, based on my experience, it is a good remedy to keep your body out of a state of torpor.

I have also found that my temps are higher throughout the day when don't touch blue light/phone for at least an hour after rising! Technology is very stressful--the devices themselves along with the mindless/negative content on social media!

Thanks for the tip about waking up and working first thing and avoiding blue light, I'll try it out tomorrow!

lampofred

"Anything that raises metabolism increases cortisol". That's not true. Things that normally raise metabolism may/can increase cortisol, but usually under sub-optimal conditions. For example - caffeine can increase cortisol, but only if liver is sluggish and/or insufficient calories are intaken. T3 can increase cortisol, but only if nutrient support is not provided. An increased metabolism should decrease cortisol, in general. Even if things did increase cortisol, the goal should be to maximize certain ratios. For example: Free testosterone to cortisol ratio is a pretty decent indicator of overall endocrine health. If your ratio increases from say 4 to 6, you're still healthier, even if say testosterone increased 70% and cortisol raised 15%... or something like that. In the study below, the T/C ratio decreases - a clear indicator of metabolic distress.

Effect of 1 Week of Sleep Restriction on Testosterone Levels in Young Healthy MenFREE

Basically in this one they go from 8-9 hr of sleep to like half (4-5 hr).

Here are the results of that in testosterone and cortisol:

View attachment 14135

At all points in the day, sleep restriction results in a deficit in test, and at several points in the day cortisol is higher also.

The cortisol at waking is interesting. It in facts explains the very phenomenom I just described earlire and that is:

Sleep deprivation re sults in a huge adrenaline spike, which "makes it easier to wake up" BUT, cortisol also drops like a rock, and more harshly, once you eat breakfast (as noted by the sharp decline quickly, sharper than the rested guys -- I found this to be true. I'd wake up energetic then want to fall back asleep on sleep deprivation). The rested folk - while they peak in the morning also, its more a gentle sinusoidal wave than a peak then a valley.

GABA increases testosterone so I think sleep deprivation will lower testosterone and increase progesterone/estrogen. So I think the goal should be to increase CO2 till you naturally need less sleep, not forcibly sleep less. I agree with you in that respect.

I feel like we've had this exact same discussion before lol.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals