Increase One's Metabolism Really

yerrag

I have a preference for using simple metrics to monitor markers that make it easier for me to improve these markers that are related to metabolism. This way, I can go further than just saying I want to improve my metabolism. Instead, when I test and see a marker is off, I can work on it. If say, it's my blood sugar level that's swinging wildly from high to low, I can work on that aspect of it. I'll find ways to improve my blood sugar control and then monitor for improvement. When you are able to improve this, you will see some health benefits if you observing keenly. You may possibly see an improvement on your heart rate. This little improvement is a big boost to your confidence. Instead of frustration, you start to experience the joy of getting better, and it will take you to another level.

Instead of focusing on an abstraction, you are able to focus on something more concrete.

I also encourage you to ask many questions and not be tied to the mentality of "take this for this condition" without really knowing how and why it works. There are many things thrown out there. Over time, you'll be able to pick the best solution for your context, not someone else's. Then you'll be able to heal yourself more effectively.

OP
E

Energyforlife

I have trouble pricking myself every time. It makes me feel uncomfortable.
You prick yourself how many times a day.

When to know that it is effective on me what I do or eat?

yerrag

I don't do it regularly since I already know my condition as far as blood sugar control goes.

In your case, at the very least do it at the start to know how stable your blood sugar is.

Many diabetics use it with no problem at all. Go look for a diabetic and ask them how simple it is to use the blood glucose meter. Or view it in YouTube.

I suppose I'll have to explain to you how such information. is useful, So as I don't reinvent the wheel, I'll see if there a YouTube video that explains it and send you a link.

Don't worry. Not many people really understand this concept. It is extremely helpful to know especially in this forum, as it's centered around metabolism. You have to understand this concept otherwise anything I say could easily just go over your head.

Hans

Forum Supporter
Ray Peat has talked about people with higher heart rate being (generally) more intelligent than people with lower heart rates (heart rate as proxy for metabolism).
It was always so weird to me that athletes and even strength athletes want a low heart rate because then they are "fit". But a reduction in heart rate is due to a drop in CO2 and a rise in serotonin (from Ray's recent interview).

Cardiovascular effects of serotonin agonists and antagonists. - PubMed - NCBI
"The effects of serotonin (5-hydroxytryptamine; 5-HT) on the cardiovascular system are complex. These effects, consisting of bradycardia or tachycardia, hypotension or hypertension, and vasodilation or vasoconstriction are mediated by three main sets of receptors called 5-HT1-like, 5-HT2, and 5-HT3. In addition, recent findings suggest the participation of a putative 5-HT4 receptor. Though selective 5-HT1A receptor agonists can lower heart rate (and arterial blood pressure), 5-HT usually lowers heart rate by eliciting an initial short-lasting hypotension due to bradycardia (von Bezold-Jarisch-like reflex) via 5-HT3 receptors located on sensory vagal nerve endings in the heart."

ExCarniv

I have trouble pricking myself every time. It makes me feel uncomfortable.
You prick yourself how many times a day.

When to know that it is effective on me what I do or eat?

Milk, Meat, Potatoes.

You need an elimination diet, if you have dandruff, low energy and gut issues, something in your diet is giving you problems.

Try that for a week, then see your reaction.

Wagner83

Best way to increase the metabolism is to increase muscle mass in my experience. I eat 4500+kcal per day and am lean as ever. Back when I was skinny and did endurance running I would pack on fat every time I ate more than 2500kcal even though I was far more active.
Why don't you mention the rest? It should play a part as well.
[...]
40g glycine

I don’t use DNP. I find it’s quite easy to get lean just by limiting fats and progressively lowering carbs until at the desired body fat. I do drink a lot of coffee though, which has similar mechanism of action - uncoupling.

Nandrolone solo is given to HIV/AIDs patients and is tremendously effective with virtually no side effects. It aromatises at a rate of 1/5 of testosterone. It lowers prolactin, while testosterone increases it. It’s incredibly dry, unlike testosterone which tends to cause water retention. Libido is insatiable and commonly complained about by wife’s/partners of deca solo users.
I’ve been taking nandrolone solo many years. It’s not well understood in the bodybuilding community because they tend to want to run testosterone alongside due to outdated broscience, which leads to issues as they potentiate each other’s estrogenic side effects which gives rise to prolactin and hence the deca-**** described above.
However sans testosterone, nandrolone is no doubt the greatest steroid in existence and as described above was what the golden era bodybuilders ran almost exclusively. Compare them to bodybuilders of today and notice the difference in hair/skin quality. No acne, no hairloss, no wrinkles, etc.
Nandrolone is pro-collagen, testosterone/trenbolone/all the other garbage bodybuilders are running today ruin collagen hence why they look 40 by their mid twenties and injuries are so common.

It does though have some issues:
1) dopamine modulation - unsure how to remedy effectively
2) cortisol inhibition - remedied with periods of lower doses/coming off
3) calcium deposits - remedied with 400-800mcg vitamin k mk7

olive

Why don't you mention the rest? It should play a part as well.
I don’t know what your inferring. I’m not trying to hide anything. I didn’t mention the rest because it didn’t seem relevant to the topic at hand.
I think everyone knows about the randle cycle and the dangers of dietary fats, no point beating a dead horse.
And just so you know nandrolone, like all other AAS, actually inhibit thyroid function - as this is their mechanism of action to prevent catabolism.

Wagner83

I don’t know what your inferring. I’m not trying to hide anything. I didn’t mention the rest because it didn’t seem relevant to the topic at hand.
I think everyone knows about the randle cycle and the dangers of dietary fats, no point beating a dead horse.
And just so you know nandrolone, like all other AAS, actually inhibit thyroid function - as this is their mechanism of action to prevent catabolism.
I'm saying it's important in your overall results. The amount of calories you eat, how dry you are, the muscles repair and all the rest. So to me it does seem relevant. This isn't to say your advice isn't sound.

Jsaute21

Your temps - is that armpit or oral? I started taking my temperature the wrong way, and when I got it done right, I found my temperature to be normal. If you're using a regular thermometer, a digital one, it usually beeps after a minute. Don't pull it out, leave it there and take a reading every minute. Stop only when the temperature doesn't go up on the succeeding reading. That is a better indication of your temps. The oral temperature is what you want to use. The armpit temp is 0.5 degrees C lower than the oral. A normal waking temp is 36.5C and it will rise to 37C during the day.

Body temperature can increase due to infection and inflammation, as we are all aware of. But, in cases where one has endotoxemia, a persistent low-grade inflammation could slightly increase body temperature. If we're only slightly hypothyroid, the rise in temperature due to endotoxin-based endotoxemia could make the appearance that our temperature is normal.

60 bpm heart rate can be improved. 5 minutes of rest at least is needed to get a resting heart rate.

To get heart rate to be a good basis for metabolism, I want to be sure my acid-base balance is optimal. This means that our blood pH is at 7.4, allowing for some fluctuations. This increase the likelihood that we have enough electrolytes in our system, as electrolytes are crucial in the efficient pumping of the heart, particularly with calcium playing a huge role in the pumping of the heart. But there are other factors affecting the pH of blood, such as the internal production of acids such as lactic acid and keto acid, as well as external sources that are acidic loads on the body. It's important to have enough calcium, magnesium, potassium, and sodium (there are other electrolytes such as chloride as well) stores in the body, and this is one area you can work on. You can test your urine pH as a proxy for your blood pH. A Hydrion pH test strip with range of 5.5- 9 will do. The urine optimal pH is on the range of 6.4 - 6.8.

It's important to know that your metabolic rate is dependent largely on two inputs - sugar and oxygen. They're not the only ones, but you can draw the analogy of internal combustion engines where the input is gasoline and oxygen. You have to make sure gasoline and oxygen is getting to the engine continually in the right mixture. You can use a blood glucose meter (used by diabetics, but I use one myself even though I'm not diabetic) and an oximeter, to get an idea of how well you're able to metabolize sugar and oxygen, respectively. These are tools I've found to be helpful.

With the blood glucose meter, I can learn at any given time my blood glucose. In between meals, I feel okay when it's between 70 to 100, though I'm usually at 85. When on a day fast, when I depend on glycogen to supply my blood sugar, I'm at around 70. After a meal, it goes up to 140 (I only did once, but I was at first shocked then I realize 'but of course'), and an hour after it would go down to 95ish , and 2 or 3 hours later, it would level off to 85. I can take more values on the 4th and 5th hour, and then plot this into a curve where the x-axis is time in hours, and the y-axis is the blood glucose. This curve would give me an idea of how stable my blood sugar is. For those familiar with a glucose tolerance test (GTT), this ins't it but it draws elements from it. People with a bad case of hypoglycemia could easily faint with a GTT, as their blood sugar could drop so quickly, but with my method, you're not given yourself 70grams of pure glucose that's liable to produce an insulin reaction that will cause you to faint from the low blood sugar. You're simply taking measurements every hour after a meal, and pricking your fingers with sterile tips won't hurt. I won't go through the steps of using a blood glucose meter. Just buy one as it's affordable, and follow the simple instructions. The brand I use is Terumo. There are consummables, but they are affordable.

One time I felt sleepy, and I took a blood sugar reading. Instead of the usual 85, I got a 104. I then knew my body wasn't metabolizing sugar as fast as it should. It turns out I had been urinating a lot that time, and I could be low on vitamin b1. I took some b1, and my blood sugar reading the next day was back to normally what I'd get. With a blood sugar meter, and with an understanding of sugar metabolism and blood sugar regulation (insulin kicks in at a high blood sugar level to convert sugar to fat in the liver, driving blood sugar down; the liver converts sugar to glycogen and stores it, and when blood sugar is low, glycogen is converted back to blood sugar; potassium facilitates tissues' absorption of sugar) you can learn a lot more about your sugar condition more than your doctor, who relies only on fasting blood sugar and HbA1c, which really doesn't tell the whole story. And you can rev your own engine.

With an oximeter (or any Samsung Galaxy S model above the S5 - ie. s6, s7, s8, s9 etc), you can measure your spO2. Ray Peat, in one interview with Patrick Timpone this month on One Radio Network, talks about the spO2 readings. Listen to it. While he doesn't go in depth on it, he says that on warm surroundings, one should be able to get readings even lower than 90. This contrasts with the conventional wisdom, as practiced in hospitals, that the higher the reading, the better, like 99. I use the oximeter and whereas in the past I normally get a reading of 98, now I'm getting a reading of 94. This has been in lockstep with an increase in heart rate. And this makes sense, with the higher metabolism indicated by my higher heart rate, I should be using more oxygen. The higher oxygenation rate would mean higher consumption of oxygen, and this would be reflected in lower O2 saturation is blood, as more oxygen is being released by hemoglobin to the tissues.

If you have reliable metrics to work with, you can more easily monitor your progress in improving your metabolism, and you may even see for your cause and effect relationships. Good luck!
Helpful post. What do you use to measure your pulse. I use an app on my phone that sometimes I question the quality of. I recently changed my thermometer and my temp now reads close to a degree higher than it previously did. Vick’s brand off Amazon is the brand.

Wagner83

Helpful post. What do you use to measure your pulse. I use an app on my phone that sometimes I question the quality of. I recently changed my thermometer and my temp now reads close to a degree higher than it previously did. Vick’s brand off Amazon is the brand.
Why don't you use a metronome application? You can usually tap the tempo and it tells you the number of beats there would be in 1 minute.

yerrag

Thanks!

I use my Omron blood pressure device or my Samsung Galaxy S5.

yerrag

@Energyforlife

I've been frustrated for the past 2 weeks. My blood pressure doesn't want to go down. Today it hit me. I had been feeling low and having low energy. I kept putting things off that I can put off. I got my blood glucose meter, got a reading of 90. I thought it seemed okay. But wait! I usually get 85. I'm glad I didn't shrug this off. I thought about it the whole morning as I go about my daily chores. Then it hit me. I was still having cramps, I was on vacation in two places and I had no control over my eating routine. I was missing something - potassium. I downed some potassium chloride, and wham- I felt more energy! Later on, I'll get a load of fruits so I can restore my potassium levels. Also, helping to lose potassium was that I've been urinating a lot lately also. This makes it a double whammy that led me to low potassium and low energy.

In case you may be wondering, potassium is needed for sugar to be absorbed into tissues. In this way, Ray Peat calls this an insulin-like property of potassium. Lacking potassium, sugar is slow getting into my tissues, and as a result, I'm not making enough energy. Hence, my low energy. On the other hand, a lot of potassium without sugar leads to too much blood sugar being used up, and leaves one empty as blood sugar is used more quickly than it is replenished from glycogen stores. In a thread on vegetable juice, I had told of how adding sugar to vegetable juice helped me avoid the empty feeling of drinking pure vegetable juice. Vegetables are high in potassium but low in sugar, and this combination made me feel empty after drinking the veggie juice. Add sugar, and the feeling is gone.

In getting yourself to improve your metabolism, it's important to be observant and perceptive enough to pick up subtle cues. That, plus knowing about various tidbits of helpful information relating to metabolism, keeps you from getting stuck and becoming helpless and despondent. Like me the past two weeks, trying all sorts of substances and still seeing my blood pressure do squat, all the while feeling depressed and lacking energy. I snapped out of it. 2 weeks wasted notwithstanding, I got over this hump.

Keep in mind healing is a process, it's not a silver bullet you take. If you're looking for silver bullets, the closest thing is prescription drugs, but we all know how bad they can be.

Last edited:

LLight

Do you think you have mild Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (seems like from short description)? If yes, you should not exercize as it's known that it's not a solution to your problems.

I repeat my advise, try to eat osmolyte rich foods or take a supplement. Inositol for example is one, and has been proven to help thyroid and hair loss among women with PCOS (which is suspected to be equivalent to male pattern baldness).

Try also to limit your fluid intake, it could be too high currently if the majority of your calories comes from orange juice and milk.

Est-ce que tu penses avoir une sorte de léger Syndrome de Fatigue Chronique ? Si c'est le cas, il ne faut pas chercher à faire de l'exercice physique, c'est connu que cela ne fonctionne pas voire peut même aggraver ton état.

Je me permets de répéter mon conseil : essaye de manger de la nourriture contenant des osmolytes, ou achète et prend un complément. Il y a des études qui montrent que l'inositol (un osmolyte) aide la thyroïde et la perte des cheveux chez les femmes ayant le trouble des ovaires polycystiques (qui est suspecté d'être l'équivalent féminin de la calvitie).

Essaye également de limiter la quantité de liquide que tu bois par jour, elle pourrait être actuellement trop élevée si la majorité de tes calories viennent du jus d'orange ou du lait.

Jack Earth

A
3x8 barbell squat
3x6-8 snatch grip RDL
3x8 OHP/barbell push press

X
Rest/yoga/walking

B
3x8 flat bench press
1x12 close grip flat bench press
3x8 chin ups
3x8 dips

X
Rest/yoga/walking

X
Stretching/yoga
3x10 seconds full effort sprints
Core

Repeat.

Add 1.25-2.5kg on the bar each week.
Don’t train to failure, you should always have 1-3 reps in reserve.
Eat high carb, low fat, medium protein.
Hit all your micronutrient targets, track via cronometer.
Sleep 8+ hours.

Only 3 days a week with weights?
I guess the volume training isnt good for natty lifters

olive

5 - 6 days weights. Hes also low set/rep compared to BB routines.
You’ll quickly burn out doing heavy compound movements more than 3 times per week. Sure you can go into the gym 6 days a week but your not going to be effectively progressively overloading. The weights are just a stimulus, it’s the food and rest that grows new tissue.

Jack Earth

You’ll quickly burn out doing heavy compound movements more than 3 times per week. Sure you can go into the gym 6 days a week but your not going to be effectively progressively overloading. The weights are just a stimulus, it’s the food and rest that grows new tissue.

I'll try it out, less time in gym sounds good.
Do you feel any body parts get neglected with the compounds? Also what benefits do you get from the yoga?

olive

I'll try it out, less time in gym sounds good.
Do you feel any body parts get neglected with the compounds? Also what benefits do you get from the yoga?
Calves and rear delts probably but I’m not a bodybuilder, just trying to be fit and healthy.
Yoga is a challenge, builds mental fortitude, increases T3 dramatically and improves posture.

Good morning all,

I am 30 years old and I am looking to increase my metabolism. After doing low carb diets without real results. I want to do the feeding of Ray Peat by following the advice of kate deering. I would really like to increase my metabolism.
I would like to have some very detailed advice on what worked in terms of diet and lifestyles.
At the level of the indications, I am at 36 degrees Celsius on waking and at 60 bpm.
If you want something strange (at least for this forum), get 80% of your calories from fat. Messure temperature after a meal. It will increase and stay high all day long. By fat I mean of course no PUFA. Try cream or butter. Do it one day if you do not believe me. Ray Peat mentions quite often Broda Barnes when it comes to Thyroid. If you read Broda Barnes book "The Thyroid" you will see he is a big proponent of high fat, low carb diets as long you do not go into ketosis (it means at least 50g carbs a day) and not to much protein (1g/kg max). Protein "consumes" T3 and therefor reduces metabolism.