Home > Health, Studies, Supps & Pharmaceuticals > Health > Mind, Sleep, Stress > Inclined Bed Therapy - Sleeping With The Head End Of The Bed Elevated

Inclined Bed Therapy - Sleeping With The Head End Of The Bed Elevated

1. I was surprised to see that there wasn't a thread dedicated to discussing people's experience with it so here we go. At the risk of stating the obvious, it is just raising the head of your bed 6 inches and sleeping at an incline. It has been reported to achieve some impressive health results such as:
    • Improving blood circulation
    • Boosting metabolism
    • Improving lymphatic drainage from the brain
    • Improving immune system function
    • Improving respiratory function
    • Easing symptoms associated with Alzheimer's, diabetes, glaucoma, migraines, multiple sclerosis, sleep apnea, acid reflux, edema, varicose veins and more
    Here is some background info:
    Inclined Bed Therapy Benefits
    Home - Inclined Bed Therapy IBT - Restore & Support Your Health
    How to Use Inclined Bed Therapy For Diabetes, Acid Reflux and More
    https://www.nexusmagazine.com/articles/doc_view/337-inclined-bed-therapy-a-new-angle-on-health

Anyone try this and care to report on their experience?
    I tried this in the past and had some good results but had moved and am just getting around to setting up my bed again. Tonight will be day 1 and Ill try to report back any changes.

2. I'd like to think raising your headboard actually works, but I've never seen any real research findings that even discuss it.

3. I havent found any real research either. It seems that the inventor/discoverer has been trying to get hospitals/researchers to run trials of any kind and has been universally ignored. So basically all we have to go on are anecdotal reports. Ive read through several threads on various websites/forums and they are all about 90% positive. Ive never seen any intervention get such a universally positive response. Look at earthclinic in the link above as an example.

Its not surprising that the medical mafia isnt friendly to any treatments where they have no chance of making a profit, and are especially against those that actually work.

4. I'm the first guy to try something based on anecdotal accounts, but all too frequently I'm disappointed. In fact, this happens a lot when I try some of the seemingly wondrous things touted on this forum. That said, I have to go raise my headboard six inches now :)

5. There's been some discussion somewhere here I think - related to someone's varicose veins issues, I think.
    I did it for quite a while and liked it. Haven't got around to setting up again in new location. Seemed to feel slightly positive. Only downside is the slight tendency of blankets to slide. ...

6. they talk about for acid refluxd.

7. awesome! 20 more and we have the makings of a trial.
    I read about some really good results about varicose veins as well. Maybe its good for varicoceles too which is a big issue on the forum for some.
    yeah, that one makes sense as also just sleeping with your head propped up also works for that.

8. Yes, now I can see how it would really help in that regard.

9. even RP approved

Inclined bed therapy?
    "It seems biologically reasonable. I think migraines involve excess cholinergic activity, related to the “learned helplessnes” physiology, and that slight tilt would tend to keep the balance of the autonomic nervous system from shifting too far in that “demobilized” direction." Ray Peat Ray Peat Email Exchanges - Ray Peat Forum Wiki

10. Ray's statement sounds good, but I can't make a bit of practical sense out of it. HOW, in plain terms, would it be "biologically reasonable"?

11. very interesting topic. i have never heard of it. but then you have to sleep on your back, right? otherwise i think it is uncomfortable. i always sleep on my stomach and couldnt imagine doing that. the only time i slept that way was when i had surgery on my eyes. i slept in a hospital bed and was told by the doctor to sleep 2 days after the treatment on my back and with my head up. But it was very hard for me to get to sleep in this position cause i normally sleep on my stomach as i said.

12. We have been doing it for years. Like it.
    Dr Klinghardt and Sophia Health Institute are recommending it now.
    The guy who is into it got some experiments in England with babies and infant death syndrome and they curtailed it because it worked. The head of some ids told him he had found the solution but they would not recommend it. WHATTTTTTTTTT

13. It's very effective for those whose respiration through their nose gets alternatively blocked when they lie down horizontally.(due to the swelling of their internal nose membranes by the incoming blood).

14. According to the discover IBT achieves its benefits mainly through improved circulation. Similar to how a tree circulates its sap based on the difference in density at the top vs bottom of the tree, we also have different densities in our blood with respect to position in the body. Its the difference in density that drives the additional circulation due to the effects of gravity.

"[C]irculation began long before the heart developed, and this primary circulation continues to assist the heart, providing we take the direction of gravity into account. It works on the principle that blood entering the capillary vessels in the lungs provides the water and carbon dioxide that we evaporate with each breath.

The blood therefore must become denser exiting the lungs, then passes through the heart and is injected back into the main artery, effectively adding denser blood to create a pulsatile flow predominantly down towards the kidneys... [T]he blood entering the venous return from the kidneys is always less dense than the arterial blood flowing to the kidneys. This was a Eureka moment of such magnitude it went off the scale for me and instantly gave birth to Inclined Bed Therapy."

Ray was going next level type stuff

15. I sleep on my side. I dont think it matters.

16. There is a special place in hell for people like that.
    Apparently this idea is very old and has been either forgotten or purposely hidden. Ancient Egyptians slept at an incline and there are drawings from old Byzantine hospitals where the patients are sleeping on an inclined bed.
    [​IMG]

17. I think you can sleep however you usually sleep on your bed.

18. I have heard about IBT from friends who tried it and benefited from it. One of them did mention however that it was hard going back to sleeping on a normal bed (such as when you are traveling etc.) because he felt like he was sleeping in a declined position and felt he couldn't breathe.

19. sorry i misunderstood the concept ^^ i thought it was only ment to raise your head. now it makes sense. but what is the theory behind it? sometimes when i dont feel very well i want to lay down flat on the floor and after a while it gets better. so i find my circulation improves when i lie down. when you incline the bed i think it would be harder for your heart to pump against the gravity?

20. I've been thinking about trying IBT for a while but have not got around to it. Seeing this thread has reinspired me.

I have had a terrifying issue that has been happening 3 three or four times a year for the last few years where I go to sleep having eaten or drank too much fluid and I wake up in the middle of the night in a severe panic as I realize I can't breathe. Not as in feeling stuffy or congested, but rather as in I have something physically blocking my windpipe and I literally can not breathe. At that moment I am certain I am about to die and have to try to cough as hard as I can to try to clear the blockage. One time it took a few seconds and really didn't think I would make it. I realized that the fluid/food slurry was basically backing up my chest/throat while I was sleeping into my windpipe. Then the rest of the day I'd have sever pain from in my windpipe from the acidity. The easy way to prevent this has been to wait a few hours before eating or drinking too much before bed but sometimes I slip up. I am hoping IBT will help with preventing this.

My wife also invariably wakes up with a severely congested nose every morning and it's not allergies so I'm hoping IBT may help with that as well.

Let's see what happens.

21. I believe the advocates of IBT that OP has mentioned are suggesting that sleeping facilitates more ideal blood and lymphatic flow than lying flat due to how our circulation has evolved. I haven't read the science in a while and don't remember the details . Nonetheless, most of the people that I know who tried it used it to help acid reflux issues and breathing difficulties and they have felt benefits in those areas.

22. 4 day update: One downside I am finding is that my once resolved sciatica is starting to come back. This is surprising as I would think that the slight traction of the bed would open up the disks and relieve any pressure, not add to them. On the positive side I am breathing much better and don't have as much congestion as Burt mentioned above. Seems my sleep is deeper and I definitely feel better rested.

23. Nice. Keep logging please. I hope to start trying this soon, also. I have a few varicose vains along with varicocele

24. Propped my bed up with old books and magazines. Head is about 5.5" higher than feet. Been three nights and I can't deny the positivies. Will be making a trip to home depot to make a more aesthetic fixture.

Few notes (for context, I'm hypothyroid):

-My intermittent reflux seems to have subsided greatly, regardless if I just ate or if I'm bloated. My voice always loses bass when reflux symptoms kick up, so this is very welcomed.

-I haven't had a pounding heart upon waking. I have random bouts of insomnia. If I go to bed early without being dog-tired it's almost certain I'm waking up at 3am with high adrenaline symptoms and would need a cup of salty OJ to have a chance to get back to sleep. While Peating has lessened these occurrences, it was still an issue. I haven't had a pounding heart since inclining the bed, regardless of how/when I wake up.

-I'm waking up warmer. IR ear temperature past three days has read 97.4-97.8F instead of the usual 96.9-97.1F.

- Jury is still out whether I have to give up stomach sleeping. On the other hand, back sleeping is much much more comfortable.

25. I got my husband to try this along with me for about a year; the blankets kept sliding down and we had to keep moving the top mattress up again, but it didn't do anything for some spider veins I was hoping to have disappear. :( I eventually go tired of it and we sleep level now.

26. I’ve been using an inclined bed for a couple of years. I sleep on my stomach and tape my mouth. I use small pillows to avoid back pain. Did a lot of reading before deciding to try it. First, I used books to get an inch or two of elevation. I’m using about 3 inches now.

27. The idea to incline bed is interesting for GERD, but i don't understand its using for varicose veins. If someone has varicose veins/water retention/fatigue in legs, it is always better to elevate legs and not the upper body.

28. This is the guy that brought out more awareness of IBT, his name is Andrew Fletcher, he is from England:

29. Its a bit counter-intuitive, but gravity actually helps circulation due to differences in blood density at the lungs vs the rest of the body. This is from Andrew Fletcher's web site Home - Inclined Bed Therapy IBT - Restore & Support Your Health

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

30. Inclined bed seems to move food more quickly. I guess this is something every peaterian wants to reduce endotoxin.

Bildschirmfoto 2018-04-23 um 20.28.52.png

31. But experience shows that when legs are tired and swollen and if veins are swollen the inclined position (standing, sitting etc,) makes it worse and if we elevate legs - it helps. So i can't imagine why it could be different with inclined bed o_O
    Maybe someone with circulation problems have already tried inclined bed and could share experience with it....

32. I agree that lifting the legs drains the blood away but maybe that isnt the same as improving circulation. Could be you just end up with blood pooling at the abdomen and the heart still has to work as hard, if not more, to pump the blood around as if the person where lying flat.

According to IBT the heavier blood exiting the lungs will have an extra assist in flowing down the body because of gravity and the siphon effect will pull the lighter blood from the legs back up to the heart.

Fletcher claims that heart rates are decreased for people (or dogs) lying on an incline implying that the heart is being assisted with IBT and doesnt have to pump as much.

33. had to lower my bed last night. Been having a dull ache in my balls for the last couple of days. Not sure what is going on. I dont have a varicocele and hope this doesnt create them. According to others online IBT cleared up their varicocele issues.

Saw that someone else had pain in the abdomen that was attribute to stretching of the ligaments. Not sure if this is related.

Plan is to try again in a couple of days but at maybe 3 inches for a while instead of jumping straight to 6.

34. Good day,
    What synchronicity. I have just bought one of those beds which inclines the head and the feet etc as required and so certainly will be adding my findings in the months ahead. Thank you for sharing the data you have found and even for asking RP! I have suggested to people with gerd to raise their bedhead for years and it has often worked well if raised slowly over time.
    Given that we are all a bit set in our postures, changing our bed attitude too quickly has, i think, to be a way of finding where the weak points are, just as suddenly getting into some new kind of exercise or other, perhaps unintentionally, stressful activity will also. After all we sleep for 7+ hrs a night so that is a long time for the body to accommodate something new.
    Well done x-ray peat for starting this thread off!
    Best regards
    Sheila

35. Is there anything that suggets that animals tend to choose cushios or surface with certain inclination to rest?
    If it's optimal to sleep that way, it should be seen across animals...
    lol, can't wait to try it...I DO have varicocele

36. Fletcher has a bunch of pics of animals sleeping head up on hills. But it could be argued that it is safer to sleep that way, head higher to spot for predators.

37. I bought a bed size foam wedge to put under my mattress and used it for a while but like @belcanto I have gone back to a flat surface. At the time I also got a wedge for my parents bed. We noticed my mother started to have swollen ankles that she had never had before. Her ankles were fine after we removed the wedge.

When I was young, about 21 yrs old, I was a counselor for a summer. I had read that sleeping with your head slightly lower than your feet was good. Since we were on uneven ground most nights I slept with my feet elevated slightly. I slept well and felt great that summer but like I said I was young, outside, and in the sun.

38. thanks for the feedback. Did the wedge cover the whole length of the bed? or just the upper half?

I think Fletcher said that you have to get the angle to at least 5 degrees (typically a 6 inch raise) for it to work. Maybe the wedge angle wasn't big enough. or maybe IBT doesnt work for everyone.

39. @x-ray peat , I don't remember the exact height but it was at least 6 inches and it tapered to a thin half inch for the whole length of the bed. I bought it from a JC Penney's catalog in 2007 or 2008. I got rid of it and the one from my parent's bed after my mother's ankles swelled. I wanted to try it for GERD that both my mother and I had. I am interested in how it helps circulation.

40. A partial mitigation for travelling, if possible, can be to use a couple of large pillows or folded blankets to prop the upper body.

Have you noticed if she usually sleeps with her mouth closed? If not, a chin strap or a little light tape to keep the mouth comfortably closed could be worth trying to see if it helps with this. The IBT might help too. Chronic hidden hyperventilation during sleep can cause a clogged nose and a feeling of difficulty breathing. (I wouldn't have believed it till I read about the physiology of it, tried it, and found it comfortable and soothing and woke up with a clearer nose.)

41. I'm not sure that it does traction?

42. The bed is only inclined ~150mm spread evenly over the whole length of the bed - not like sitting or standing up.

Seems like experience shows the IBT works well for some and not others - so it's one more of those things that may be worth trying, perhaps gradually, to see if it suits you or a particular person.

43. According to the IBT website the friction of the bed opposing the force of gravity gives you a slight traction that stretches out the body. Im pretty sure thats why my back started acting up from increasing the angle too quickly

44. Ah - maybe it does. I don't remember it feeling like traction to me. If it made your back sore, that's a good reason to back off/take it more gently.

45. Great idea. Started with a 2ish inches incline, it’s pretty low but I do feel a difference. 6” must be pretty steep

46. I have a 6 inch incline on my bed, and I remember the first few months I thought I was going to have to get rid of it, it felt like I w sliding down the bed. Wasn't sure I was going to adjust to that, but now a year later I don't even notice it, so it will take some getting used to, but don't give up right away. I think it is beneficial, especially it you have stomach issues, but also the reasons outlined by Fletcher.

47. Maybe she was reacting to the off gassing of the foam and it had nothing to do with the IBT

48. @achillea, she had been using the inclined set up for more than one year. It could have been from the foam. But I think it had more to do with her age, some health issues and overall decreased mobility.

I never experienced anything negative but I like a totally flat surface and was relieved to get rid of the wedge.

49. I'd never thought of giving up, it's actually feeling good even at 2" incline only. Yesterday I did a moderately high intensity squat workout (by my standards) with a couple sets over 350lbs, I usually feel a slightly tight lower back probably because of the compression. Today, none of that.

So far this experience is great, relieve lower back pressure, also seems that I have 0 nasal mucus although my diet is 100% clean now. Next step is 4" when I have a better setup.

50. What are you thinking for a better setup? I need to improve mine. I had slats made running the length of the bed. Problem is my bed has begun to sag in the middle.

51. Thanks for the nudge. I've read it before but need a kick in the butt. Trying to get up the interest to look again. Lethargic to all but gardening right now.

I'm able to bolster things with little pillows to even out the mattress. It is almost a good solution. I've been using a small pillow to rotate my left anterior superior iliac spine for years. Sleeping on my stomach that has worked well. Before reading Buteyko, I'd slept on my back a lot, using the pillow the posterior inferior you know. But B and all convinced me sleeping on the stomach was better. And it sure works better with the inclined bed. The thing is to use pillows to get my neck and shoulders in a good neutral position.

I need to call a handyman and am stubborn thinking I know how to do it. My husband, the physicist, said I'd break the bed when I started out by putting 1" books under the headboard legs for the first step in getting used to an incline. It worked fine since it was only for a month or so.

Then, I used the wood blocks for the 2 inch intermediate incline. I want it to look beautiful as well as work well, but knew this was an intermediate step. Barely tolerable though.

When I went to 3.5 in, got a handiman to help by making slats. I think it just needs more slats to stabilize it. However, will read more. Ugh.

52. Just to say that I plan to keep it at 3 or 3.5 inches at the head of the bed. A compromise.

53. This sounds good.

54. I used to sleep well on my stomach years ago, but now my neck won't allow it. I'd love to know how you have managed to use pillows etc to get your neck and shoulders in a neutral position for lying on your stomach.

If you are experimenting and wanting to try out the higher incline before commiting a lot of resources to an elegant and permanaet solution, I found a combination of a big concrete block under each leg at the head end, and a big old book or magazine to protect the floor from the rough block, served quite well. If you are bouncing around on the bed a lot, you might want to check from time to time that the legs don't work their way off the blocks and give you a surprise drop. :)

55. I sleep in a recliner, and have for many years. It is very helpful for breathing and a lot of other things.

56. Back up to 3" and so far so good. Deeper sleep and easier breathing. Did notice my pee was darker than normal. I think that is a common benefit (better filtration/circulation through kidneys perhaps)

I switched from lots of books to using two 4" PVC pipes of about 18". This way you can still move the bed. Also has been resistant to my bouncing around :p

57. Ingenious.

58. On my bed, it looks like the original wooden bed slats are sagging, not the ones I had made to do the incline.

59. Greetings,

We have now been trialling this for about a month, from 10cm - 17.5cm elevation and are, completely sold. Not that there is anything to buy, if you have either bricks or blocks of wood to hand - just make sure your bed is sound structurally first - place desired block/brick height under the bed-head feet and sleep. My beloved husband is definitely standing straighter, his lower back pain has gone, and we both have more energy and are less tired and recover quicker (than we are used to doing) after weeks of strenuous tree planting after using this sleeping position. In many years of work in the natural health arena, I have never seen anything deliver such results so swiftly. Maybe you have to be a bit older and creakier to benefit!

If there is a caveat, I would say that we rushed to 17.5cm (our 5 degree incline) too quickly (after 5 days) and had to 'go back down' for a bit due to my discomfort (soreness before fully waking) and this might be to do with the comparatively more sluggish lymphatics of a female, not sure. Spider veins are definitely receding and general digestion and elimination, whilst already reasonable, have improved too.

So an unusually positive, no-real-downside thumbs up from Sheila, that will make a change and I didn't mention sulphates even once.
    Best regards to all
    Sheila

60. Just try it, it is so easy!

61. Read on the nexus article listed, it is the reverse, due to where the heart is! It is hard to remember you have to read it, or just belive others figured out and there is no problem, the reverse.
    I found it helped for waking up with less nose congestion and less lymphatic stagnation. My eyes are better in the morning.

62. Thanks so much Sheila. Will send this to a friend I'm trying to convince. Take care, Birdie

63. Well, if you are standing or sitting, it is different than lying in an inclined bed. Both Sitting and Standing can cut off circulation, due to pressure points. Personally, before IBT, I found walking to be the ultimate aid to circulation. Cold Hands and Feet would warm up in 10 minutes or so. Not only do you have the benefit of movement and being vertical, but you aren't putting constant pressure on one point. This is why you can see so many videos of people standing for long periods passing out (like ROTC training, Weddings, and such). They forget to shift their weight. I have found that lying in an inclined bed for 10 minutes or so to have the same effect on hands and feet that walking does.

IBT is a way to get the benefits of gravity for circulation while at rest, and not putting pressure on a small area of your body (your feet or tailbone).

64. Okay, I have been doing Inclined Bed Therapy for 2 weeks now, and really like it. Apparently, in the first few weeks or so, you can have transient aches and pains, and some swelling. I have indeed gotten some minor aches (in my back), and this is likely due to the slight traction. But, those aches are similar to a day after weight lifting..... almost a pleasant soreness. I'm sure this is due to the slight traction.

Circulation has been awesome. My body is warmer all over when I wake up in the morning, especially hands and feet. This was a bit of an issue before. I think, over time, I will be able to get off all thyroid medication, with just occasional use, not daily. Digestion has also improved, albeit slightly. I've also noticed I've been dreaming more over these two weeks, including one very vivid dream. My joints also seem better lubricated. Especially my right knee. I was beginning to worry about it a bit, but it seems much more functional now.

Really excited about this. Will update in a few weeks, and some take up to 4 weeks or so to adapt.

65. In addition to this point, that animals do sleep inclined when given a choice, keep in mind that us humans walk around on two legs, not four. So, we are likely to get more benefits from sleeping inclined than a dog, cat, horse, goat, or cow. Same way a 400ft California Redwood makes better use of gravity than does a 1 inch blade of grass.

66. I'd appreciate your further feedback on IBT. I also have cold hands and feet

67. Im 2 months in with a 6" incline and like others have nothing but good things to report. Nothing really life altering but just some subtle improvements.
    - less back pain and stiffness
    - warmer hands and feet (usually have cold hands/feet too)
    - much less nasal congestion and easier breathing
    - more rested and less waking during night
    - finally stopped sliding down the bed
    - darker more concentrated urine. I think Fletcher mentioned that you may need to drink more water as the increased circulation increases body evaporation.

68. By the way, if any of you have a Pulse Oximeter, this testimonial is really interesting. Apparently, his oxygen saturation improved quite a bit after two weeks.

69. Aren't vivid dreams suppose to not be good? I heard that vivid dreams are just tiring you when it happens, I dont remember the details but something along the lines of you not being in real "rest mode"

70. Okay, after reading this thread and considering my sinus issues, I decided to try inclined bed therapy again. I started last night and woke with no aches or swelling. One of my inner ears has lots of fluid on a recurring basis that I hope this will solve or at least make less irritating.

I will also be monitoring my spider veins for improvements.

Thanks for bringing this topic up.

71. Well, I've only had one vivid dream since starting, but I woke up felling pretty refreshed that day. Personally I hope for more.

72. So, on Friday, I got a blister on my foot. Medium sized, annoying, not really painful, probably from doing some walking at the beach. I bandaged it, and after two nights of IBT, 90% of the fluid is drained. This is 36 hours later. Thanks to the bandage, I know it didn't burst. It's a pretty minor thing, but it is another indicator that circulation has improved, and goes to Fletcher's claims that all healing is accelerated and improved.

Anyway, still going good, still like sleeping inclined. Most of the transient aches of the adaptation period have gone away.

73. I'm pretty interested on your spider veins evolution on IBT

74. "Best Kept Secret That Peatarians Never Knew..." ;)
    and also the closest thing to a Magic Bullet, IMO.

I learned about it some 9 years ago, but I had to theoretically "get it" (OMG!!) before I finally started it... (now 15 months into it with many great effects).

[varicose veins] There's an old thread somewhere on that forum that shows progress of someone healing them... Might be this one:
    Could Inclined Bed Therapy (IBT) replace surgery for varicose veins and oedema? | Page 1 | Naked Science Forum

75. Maybe my biggest wish for IBT is for a good biologist to look into the old theory for sap flow by J.C. Bose, explain it to the layman, and have knowledgeable people share opinions if they think Bose already figured it out, or if Andrew Fletcher won it...?

Probably some time after Ray's reply you already saw in this thread, I asked him this (Nov 2017) ...

Subject: Did J.C. Bose already have TRUE theory for sap flow in trees...?

Just in case you're familiar with those writings of Bose too... (The Physiology of the Ascent of Sap (1923), etc.)

I think I've seen around 8 theories for sap flow... There's one in Pollack's The Fourth Phase of Water, etc.

My friend Atom Bergstrom [aware of IBT] has read his share of Bose and feels that Bose probably proved the true workings of sap flow with over 200 experiments...

Is that something you would agree with...? ( ~solved long ago, but forgotten?)

Or was some percentage still lacking...?

REPLY:

Ray Peat: I think Bose was right. The reason people scoffed at his idea was similar to the reason people scoffed at the idea that nerves have a contractile movement during the conduction of an impulse, or that heat generation is continuous, not saltatory, between the nodes of myelinated nerves. The people who explain the movement of sap by transpiration and “capillary attraction” don’t like to think about guttation, which is most obvious at 100% relative humidity when there’s no transpiration. It’s just one place where the ignorance of official biology is very visible, and the funny thing is that biologists aren’t embarrassed by it.
    - - - - - - -

To not overtax Ray, I did not explicitly push and ask if he totally understood the IBT theory and would consider it in his reply...

My hunch is that undoubtedly Andrew proved something with his theory, but that it is too early to use it to explain a lot of things the way he does. It feels slightly too mechanical to me. And AFAIK, it only has one or a few proofs vs. the many by Bose for his theory...?

Andrew is aware of this, but does not seem inclined to look into this deeper... Seeing the results he's getting, and the seemingly false theories he *did* look into, he seems confident his theory is the one (or afraid it may not be?). Me, I first want some expert biologists to consider at least Andrew vs. Bose.

Although I also think Andrew has an understandable bias I don't always agree with, I cannot stress enough what a #1 Nice Bloke he is (as a person and giving this away for free).

The Bose theories are in several of his books probably, and maybe this one solely devoted to it...
    Internet Archive Search: The Physiology of the Ascent of Sap

76. I'm in. Planning on how to raise the bed now.

77. Thanks for all the good info.

I wasnt familiar with Bose but after looking into it, it seems that his theory of a vital force that relies on living cells is disproven when it can be shown that dead xylem can still transport water upwards. Also it's been noted that the rate of contractions in xylem cells is much too slow to account for the rate of water transport. (see below).

Fletcher's experiments lifting water up a cliff through differential densities seems pretty compelling and also accounts for Ray's comment that xylem flow still occurs during 100% RH which wouldn't impact the flow due to a density gradient as much as it would if only transpiration was the driving force. Also Bose's theory doesnt explain the IBT phenomenon whereas Fletchers theory seems to be very consistent.

I found a good summary of the many theories out there.
    Ascent of Sap: 3 Theories | Translocation in Plants

"(b) Bose’s Pulsatory Movement Theory:
    Sir J.C. Bose (1923) proposed a vital theory for the ascent of sap. He experimentally showed that the living cells of the innermost layer of the cortex were in a state of pulsatory motion, i.e., alternate expansion and contraction. This pulsation, according to him, caused the pumping of water from cell to cell in an upward direction.

On expansion the cells absorbed water from the lower cells and on contraction water was pumped into the next higher cells. Bose also observed that for one pulsation (i.e., contraction and expansion) it took 14 seconds to several minutes. This pulsation was called by J.C. Bose as the ‘heart-beating of plants’.

It has been estimated that the sap must flow through 230 to 400 pulsatory cells per second to account for the normal rate of ascent of sap. But it was already estimated by Bose that for one pulsation it took a minimum of 14 seconds. So, the theory could not explain satisfactorily the mechanism of ascent of sap and thus discarded.

78. look into the pvc pipe method once you buildup to your preferred height. The books/bricks method makes moving your bed for whatever reason a pain,

79. So Bose's rate is 14 times slower? Who estimated the faster flow rate?

80. I think it's based on observation of sap flows. You could probably get a good approximation using a sap tap. The rate of pulsing required to generate that flow could then be calculated

81. Thanks for discussing IBT. If can help please let me know.

Kind regards

Andrew

82. Mr. Fletcher, such a blessing to have you here to discuss inclined bed therapy. Welcome to the forum. :hattip

83. I've listened to a slew of Andrew Fletcher's Interviews, and there is one thing (of many) that is potentially huge and will likely be of interest for everyone on this forum. According to the medical literate, everyone's temperature usually drops about 2 degrees around 3am or so. According to one of Andrew's experiments, he was able to measure this drop in temp while sleeping flat, but his temperature never dropped while sleeping inclined.

My personal experience indicates this to be true. I have had warmer hands and feet, especially upon waking, ever since I started. I have only measured my waking temp a few times, but every time it has been 98.6. Through a lot of Peat's ideas, it basically raised from 97.0 to about 98.0 upon waking (and doing nothing else), but 98.6 has been really impressive.

I heard it in this interview (may also be in others)

Temp discussion at 1:06:54

84. 100% Agree!

85. Thanks, Andrew is ok by me and happy to be of some use.

86. This difference in temperature is more important than one might think. Viruses and bacterium pathogens don't like the warmer environment. Our defence against such infections is to raise our temperature, possibly be increased viscosity of fluids, inflammation and the additional friction that it causes as our thicker fluids are forced through narrower vessels.

That old adage "you caught a chill" most likely referred to a sudden drop in temperature, followed by sweats / fever which often raises temperature above normal. Wrapping up to keep core temperature high, which was often practised, led to many deaths during the sweating sickness and other plagues.

High humidity is another threat that causes our body to overheat. We need to evaporate water to maintain our circulation and to regulate body temperature. So being subjected to high humidity, causes evaporation to slow down, leading to increased fluid on the lungs, followed by stagnation and inevitable infection. Research head of the bed up and pneumonia as search terms. Intensive care patients have less chance of developing pneumonia when the head end of the bed is raised.

IBT also prevents overheating and reduces sweating while sleeping.

87. @andrewkfletcher Hello Andrew, thanks so much for your amazing discovery and willingness to work to make it better known, and helping us in particular on this forum.
    I have a couple of questions:
    1) I like many other have noticed a darker more cloudy urine from IBT. This seems different from what you would get from dehydration. Is there something different chemically in the urine that is making it cloudy? Like additional sugars or proteins?
    2) I recently raised my bed from 6" to 8" and find it to be equally comfortable (queen size bed). Is there any advantage to doing this if comfort is not sacrificed or is 6" (5 degree incline) still the optimal?

thanks

88. Darker morning urine has been observed and reported and increased odour too. I'm not familiar with cloudy urine reports, though given we have shown in a trial the blood sugar levels are reduced in diabetes type 2, it is indeed possible that excess sugars are excreted. It may be worth having a urine analysis to determine if you have increased protein that could be from infection or from increased protein excretion on IBT. Weight loss has also been reported many times, which suggests less of the food is being stored as fat. That said, muscle density increases on IBT. In fact muscle density loss from wearing a plaster cast "Which always happens" does not appear to when sleeping on an incline.

Initially there is a detox effect, where sediment including metals migrates towards the kidneys and ultimate excretion through bladder. This migration of sediment would also alter our circulation. Could this be what your observing?

89. This is really interesting. There has been a recent heat and humidity wave where I live, and during similar waves in the past, I have often woken up with sweat soaked sheets, usually in the middle of the night. I've only been sleeping with one sheet, but I have not woken up sweaty any time this week. I had been thinking about how the effects of humidity might be affecting respiration during this recent wave.

90. A Queen size bed is raised 7" to achieve five degrees, so you adding an additional inch should be fine. I have had reports from people who have increased the angle and some find it does improve their conditions more, though this could be coincidental or it might have additional benefits in some conditions. We used a higher elevation for people with spinal cord injury to aid damaged nerves to reconnect and though this may sound simplistic, we did see some amazing reponses in complete spinal cord injury (2 years post injury without any recovery of sensation or function )